It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

nancymosemen HB User
Angry Hour drive to colonoscopy....

I need honest and brutal advice.

I have my colonoscopy on Friday at 11am. I have to leave my house by 9:45am to get to the hospital where it is being performed. Will I be ok in the car?...

I have to get up and drink the prep at 4am and will be home until 9:45am.

The reason I have the hour car ride is because the hospital by my house was backed up until June and I am getting married then! I couldn't wait that long. The hospital by where I work was the closest one that could get me in..

Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Hour drive to colonoscopy....

Sorry....I can't help you much here. They had me to my prep the night before so I was "cleaned out" when I got up in the morning.

I will say that in my case the prep worked as it should so the time frame was as the doctor predicted and I wouldn't have had any issues with an hour drive.

If you are really concerned, call your doctor's office and explain your concern. They may have you adjust your time frame a bit.

If you watch what you eat some on the day before, it may also help you out a bit. For other medical reasons, I was on a liquid diet right before my Colonoscopy. I think it made my prep much easier.

I had some concerns about the original prep that was recommended. I called my GI docs office and they worked with me to adjust what I was taking to meet my needs. They have done so many of these that they really can respond well to any questions that you may have.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
(male)

hemmy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
If you are really concerned, call your doctor's office and explain your concern. They may have you adjust your time frame a bit.
This is what i would do too. With my past colonoscopies, all the prep work was done the day before so the next morning i was pretty much done.

Starting as late as your doctor has instructed seems strange to me and imo there is a danger u may not be cleaned out enough and also the possibility that long drive might not be an enjoyable one...

Last edited by hemmy; 03-24-2009 at 03:18 AM.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
(female)

nancymosemen HB User

Greetings!

Thank you for your response!!

I have to start fasting the day before, liquids only, then at 6pm the night before I have to drink 3/4 the bottle of Trylyte then get up at 4am and drink the last 1/4 of the mixture.

I am hoping that I will be ok since most of it should be out the night before...

I called the Doc's office and she said that she cannot gaurentee that I will be OK however I should be since I will leave the house 5 hours after I drink the last 1/4 of the bottle.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
(female)

Kinselmom HB User

Both times I have had a colonoscopy I had the two part prep; most of it the evening before with a last dose early in the morning before I had to leave for the procedure. I was told that it is important to not drink anything after the last dose because taking in any liquid after what is called for in the prep might cause an accident on the way. But just in case, you might want to take the precaution of using at least a sanitary pad. Better safe than sorry.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
(female)

suzyljank HB User

Hi, this may not help but I always took my morning dose an hour earlier than I was told to. This helped to get me empty before the car ride, but to be on the safe side we have a porta pottie in the car just in case.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Maybe you could stay with a friend who lives closer to the hospital or at a hotel that way there will be little way for for there to be an accident on the way. Have you seen the ads for a luxury suite stay in a hotel in NYC for a colonoscopy sweepstake? I am not sure if it is a real thing or a gimmick to make people more aware of colon cancer.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
(female)

nancymosemen HB User

Greetings!

I had the colonoscopy yesterday - what an experience.

First, I could only drink 2/3 to 3/4 the bottle. I threw up about 10 oz of it too. I was so upset that he wouldn't be able to go forward with it however he said as long as I was not passing solids, he could do it. (THANK YOU!)

The nurses - ugh. I am beyond afraid of the IV and it took them THREE times to get it. They blew a vein in each hand and then finally put the IV in my arm. They knew how scared I was and of course, couldn't get it the first time. I have horrible bruising on my hand - looks just terrible!

I don't remember anything other than them telling me to turn on my side as well as when they started the procedure I said "Oh, you're starting?" and I recall the doctor saying yes and to just relax. The rest of the day is a blur...

The doctor said he did a few biopsy's and would get the results to me however he wrote on the sheet "normal". I am hoping this is the case!!

PS -Thankfully, I only had to stop once to go to the restroom. I had to run into the hospital to go lol but I made it in the car!!

Next I have a pelvic MRI and mamogram (found cyst on uterus and breast lump). That is on tuesday and friday I have gall bladder surgery... the fun never ends!

Closed Thread