It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User
Severe Chronic Constipation

I am on meds that constipate me, and also have IBS with contipation. How long can someone go without "going" before it is dangerous? I swear I can go weeks sometimes. (I am in pain and miserable, but am so impacted I can't go to save my life-no matter what I do or take!)

The only thing that helps is a colon cleanse at the local wellness place and that isn't cheap. I need to go about 3 times every time I get impacted and then about once every other week. (It costs $60 plus tip each time.) I am essentially unable to keep a roof over my head, so this has been out of the question (my insurance won't pay for this.)

Anyone have any thoughts? I have tried to do at home colon cleansing, and it isn't the same. I have tried nearly every medication to go to the bathroom that exists.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
(female)

suzyljank HB User
Re: Severe Chronic Constipation

You need to treat your constipation on a daily basis. Eat high fiber foods get about 30-35 grams of fiber a day. That's easy now a days. I start the day out with spoon sized shredded wheat. Add a fiber supplement like benefiber or fibersure and try miralax before you go to bed at night. You have to increase the amount of liquid you drink in a day too. It will take a little while but some combination should help you. If your meds are daily and they constipate you you'll have to treat the constipation for the rest of your life. Left untreated constipation can lead to hemorrhoids, anal fissures and nerve damage caused by too much straining and pelvic floor disorders. I was told to treat my constipation years ago and thought I knew better, then I tore and had to have surgery on a chronic anal fissure (very painful) I wish now that I would have listened to my doctor about taking fiber and miralax a lot sooner. I might have prevented my fissure. The fiber supplement and miralax are safe to use daily for the rest of your life if need be. Finding the right amount that works for you is a bit of trial and error but be persistent and you'll find what you need. Good luck Suzy. ( I also have IBS, pelvic floor dysfunction and scar tissue from hemorrhoidectomy.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I have already had an anal fissure, hemorrhoids, etc. I have tried maxing out on fiber, only to have my constipation worsen. My "tech" at my colon cleansing place told me to stop as I had plenty of bulk. She put me on probiotics and a natural laxative. Both have helped. I think I have nerve damage due to long term opioid use. I will need to go back to my gi dr and ask for more help as miralax, etc etc isn't getting the job done and I am impacted now again.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

trychocolate HB User

It has been noted that too much fibre will actually make the problem worse in certain cases, as it just sits and accumulates in the bowel. Looks like you found this out. Some dr.'s say despite mega fluid intake, the bowel isn't absorbing liquid for some reason and stool softeners need to be added to your arsenal. I get what you mean, you take everyone's advice and nothing works even when you try diet, liquid, exercise, yadayada

Old 04-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

Bingo. I also take a stool softener EVERYDAY, 7 days a week. My stool continues to be hard as a rock. Nothing works. I drink at least a gallon of water a day. (I have to pee non-stop.) I have some relief if I take quite a bit of probiotics, but don't know how safe or good for you that is. Anyone?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
(female)

Sunka HB User

I'm just starting on the Philip's pro-biotics, been taking them for a week now, but I expect it takes a couple weeks to kick in - like that yogurt claim. Haven't noticed much of a difference yet, but I'm hoping.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I have found out that the over the counter drug store stuff has MUCH LESS probiotics than you would get through other sources and for me, I need a lot more. I have also found out that there is testing being done on using as much as 450 billion parts of probiotics as opposed to the 1.5 billion parts in the drug store version. (I have IBS-only that and a couple of other bowel issues are being treated with this high dosage.)
Julie

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

Miralax works for me!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

Not for me, unfortunately.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
(female)

sara313 HB User

I had back surgery a couple years ago and post-op I had serious constipation. About once a week I would drink a bottle or two of Magnesium Citrate. It's cheap and you can buy it at any drug store. Don't plan on leaving the house for a day though. I too tried to increase fiber only to have it make things worse! I'm better than I was but still suffer from constipation. I think years of narcotics for pain has just messed me up. Currently I take "Internal Flush" everyday and it helps me to keep "going" everyday. I buy it at Wal-Mart.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
(female)

La Reina HB User

I have a son 7 yr. old son who constantly goes number two in his jeans. Our Dr. told us he is constipated and prescribed us a powder that he drinks with water. Don't remember what the name of it is called. I think he doesn't have a problem going number 2 he just goes in his pants. Like he tries to hold in his bowel movement. Anybody have this same problem? Please reply.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Reina View Post
I have a son 7 yr. old son who constantly goes number two in his jeans. Our Dr. told us he is constipated and prescribed us a powder that he drinks with water. Don't remember what the name of it is called. I think he doesn't have a problem going number 2 he just goes in his pants. Like he tries to hold in his bowel movement. Anybody have this same problem? Please reply.

You need to start a new thread as no one will answer you here. It isn't a big deal, but it is called "hijacking" when you change a topic in someone else's thread. So, start a new one and people will see what you are asking and offer help that way. As far as your question goes, I would consider seeing a counselor in addition to your family dr. in hopes of finding out "why" and "how to stop" this behavior.
Good luck.
Julie

Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
(female)

osteopath09 HB User

22-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Osteopath
Newborn Join Date: Apr 2009

Free osteopathic treatments

We are looking for males/females that have been suffering from constipation for over 3 months.

The study invloves 4 free osteopathic treaments with follow up questionairs.

The treatment is very gentle, involves massage, articualtion and a variety of other techniques.

By treating constipation in this natural way you can help other conditions such hemorrhoids.

The treatments will take place at Victoria
university Osteopathic clinic on Flinders lane in the Melbounre CBD, Australia

If you are interested please call 9919 1043.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
(female)

osteopath09 HB User

22-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Osteopath
Newborn Join Date: Apr 2009

Free osteopathic treatments

We are looking for males/females that have been suffering from constipation for over 3 months.

The study invloves 4 free osteopathic treaments with follow up questionairs.

The treatment is very gentle, involves massage, articualtion and a variety of other techniques.

By treating constipation in this natural way you can help other conditions such hemorrhoids.

The treatments will take place at Victoria
university Osteopathic clinic on Flinders lane in the Melbounre CBD, Australia

If you are interested please call 03 9919 1043.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I am assuming travel arrangements from the USA are not included--lol.

Closed Thread