It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
(male)

hemmy HB User
Miralax question

Is it better to split the 17g dosage per day(morning and evening) or take the recommended daily dose at one time? Also if one dosage is better, when? Morning or evening?

I generally have 2 bm's per day, always in the early morning than nothing for the rest of the day. I'm just wondering as i'm trying to get the best results for consistent soft stools.

Last edited by hemmy; 04-16-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
(female)

suzyljank HB User
Re: Miralax question

I take mine all at once before bedtime. I too usually go in the morning, at least twice and I've found that if I do have to go in the evening it's okay. If you take miralax daily it's in your system. Do what you find is best for you and stick with it. Suzy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
(male)

newuser2008 HB User

I'm sure everyone is different. I just found out that I need to take it in the morning. If I take it at night, my BM in the morning are not nearly as soft as they should be.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
(male)

hemmy HB User

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to play with the times and see what's best for me. I'm using colace at the moment but it's not getting my stools as soft as i would like. I hope the miralax works better as i will probably have to use it for some time.

Do u both take the recommended dose?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Hemmy,
I too was taking mirilax and found it worked for me at first, but then it stopped.
So I decided to do my own research to find out if something else would work for me.
Originally my gastro dr. told me to take the mirilax and sennekot tabs and to drink the powdered solution that starts with the letter "C", (it has corn husk in it?)
I can't remember the name right now. anyway, none of it worked.

I went to our local health food store and picked up this powder called "Bentonite Clay". I'm very skeptical of using vitamins and supplements because none of it has to be FDA approved and the companies who make it charge a fortune for it when you really don't know if even contains enough of what they claim is in the bottle????

I swear by the clay. I did some research on it and found out it's been used for centuries for it's medicinal properties all over the world. It was even used during the Balkan war of 1910 to reduce mortality from cholera among the soldiers.
It cleanses the intestinal tract. You can buy in powder form and mix it yourself or you can buy it already mixed up in liquid form and take 1 -Tbl. one hour before meals on an empty stomach. It helps soften the stool gently and doesnt' make you run to the bathroom with loose stools. it's amazing stuff and it's cheap.
I was shocked at the cost Mirilax when I was told to go and buy it.

Gastro dr's even use the Mirilax now for their colonoscopy preps.
I couldn't get past the two glasses of the 8 I was supposed to drink down because of the nauseua it causes.
I had to reschedule my apptn and ask permission if i could use my own solution I use from time to time to cleanse out my colon and get my bowel movements from being so empacted from the chronic constipation.
I use a magnesium oxide solution that I absolutely love. AND it doesn't cause nauseua.

when I saw your post on "Mirilax" it caught my attention because of the difficulty I just had with it the other day and my system is STILL not back to normal which I'm waiting for. it really hurt me.

be careful with that stuff. It's basically new and who would have ever thought they'd pull off the fleet phospho soda off the shelves?

Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

sincerely,
LInda

Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
(male)

hemmy HB User

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the clay.

Quote:
when I saw your post on "Mirilax" it caught my attention because of the difficulty I just had with it the other day and my system is STILL not back to normal which I'm waiting for. it really hurt me.
What exactly did it do to u? Miralax is just a brand name for peg 3550 which is basically the same thing i started taking(pegflakes) and has also been used for colon prep(kleen Prep) where i live for a long, long time. U are right about the price. Miralax is quite costly. I have to order it(not sold in stores) and it's about $37.00 for a month's supply. I ordered 1 bottle only to see how it will work.

I frankly hate the fact that i have to use any of these chemical substances but everything else i tried worked for a week than for some reason, the hard stools came back. I need to find something that is consistent as the damage i'm doing on a daily basis with straining will have serious consequences down the road if i don't remedy this now...

Last edited by hemmy; 04-19-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hemmy,
It made me EXTREMELY nauseus to the point where my senses became hypersensitive to smell and scents of anything that was in room. I had to remove this horrible scented gum, that was in the wrapper mind you, plus fresh cut flowers that I had in a vase next to our bed. Yet I couldn't tolerate them. It was the strangest thing....
as far as what happened to me afterwards, which is an entire week ago, I STILL am constipated. It me all back again and i can't get normalized.
I"m going to take a solution I drink to cleanse out my intestines to get this harmful build up out of my system. I take sodium bicarbonate, 1 tsp. in a 6oz glass of water and let me tell you, it really works.
I've been waiting to do this for a week and didn't want to do it too close to the time i did the last cleansing with the mirilax.
I don't get nauseus with the baking soda(sodium bicarbonate).

were you ever tested for malabsorption???
I was told I had this years ago and might be the reason why I have the chronic constipation. My dr. and I never further discussed it and I havent' seen him in over 2 yrs now. I did see the other dr. who works in his office but forgot to ask him if this is related to my problem.
I'll ask him when i see him in 3 weeks when i have the colonscopy.
THIS time i"m not using the mirilax.

I hope you have good results with the clay.

thanks for your reply.

sincerely,
Linda

Old 04-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
(male)

hemmy HB User

Wow, talk about a bad reaction... Sorry to see u had to go through all that.

I have been on the Miralax for a week now, seems to be working well with no side effects at all. As i said above i hate taking any of these laxatives but nothing else has worked for more than a week up to this point unfortunately.

I will ask my GI about malabsorption next time i see him. Thanks for that and hope u are feeling better.

Last edited by hemmy; 04-25-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear the mirilax is giving you no horrible side effects Hemmy.
The only reason it did that to me, is because i had to take the entire bottle and mix it in only 8 glasses of water. Not just a tablespoon or teaspoon.

it was to prepare for the colonscopy.
I never had a reaction to it before when I first took it for my chronic constipation before.

ever since I had abdominal surgery for a tubal ligation that went bad, and they had to lift up my intestines from my cavity to see where the actual bleeding was coming from inside, I've had problems ever since.

I just can't seem to get this problem settled either.

the clay softens the stool, and the phsalt mixture works good too. BUT... If I eat lots of bread or chocolate, it begins the constipation process all over again.

I used to take my normal body functions for granted. I'll never do that again. LOL

good luck with everything Hemmy,
let us know what happens when you mention the malabsorption thing to the doctor.
sincerely,

Linda

Closed Thread