It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

teddysue HB User
Question After colon surgery?

I'm also in my 4th week after colon surgery, and I am still in pain. trying to stay off the vicoden because it causes constapation. I still have lots of gas which is hard to releace becasue of the pain and had been moving my bowels about 12 time each day, it kills each time. I've tryed everything to get back to normal bowel function. I start low fiber and started to increase it, but I am so exhausted tryng to do anything (walking a little to keep everything active) but get totally wiped out after, then the pain starts. Has anyone else had these problem? after surgery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

Kinselmom HB User
Re: After colon surgery?

TeddySue, today is exactly 4 weeks since my resection. I have some days that are like yours, with pain and frequent bowel movements. But they are coming less and less frequently. I deal with pain well so have not used much pain meds and so have avoided the constipating effects. I still have IBS so my stools are always soft or loose, maybe that is why I don't have as much pain with BMs, but I am still having alot of cramping. And some days the gas has me painfully bloated! We are all different so you can't really compare cases, but don't forget that you have had major surgery and it takes a good 6-8 weeks to begin to recover. I still get fatigued with very little exertion. Listen to your body and take it slow and easy. As far as diet, I have just begun to add back some fiber. I was told to stick to a low residue diet and I think that helped. Yogurt and a probiotic supplement help, too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I still had low energy even beyond the 4th week, but did not have much pain after the first week. But my brother-in-law did, to the point the surgeon was insinuating it was all in his head! But it did finally subside.

I did have problems with gas, bloating, etc., and that went on for a while as I experimented with food. I stressed vegetables (soups mostly) with some eggs and ricotta for protein for a number of months.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
(female)

teddysue HB User

Hi,
thanks for the update, but I had a set back and was just released from the hospital again.. I was having pain and very hard stools, which I thought was from the meds, well i was wrong, there was a build up of fluids from my surgery which was leaking into my right side and causing this pain. so after another 4 days being hospitalized and making sure I was moving my bowels with lots of pain and continuois intervinous antiboctics, I'm home again keeping my fingers crossed. I am getting so depressed. I thought after having the surgery things would jump back to the norm, I was wrong and well still looking to the bright side, or trying too.

The Following User Says Thank You to teddysue For This Useful Post:
feel me (08-26-2012)
Closed Thread