It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
(male)

johncbackedup HB User
holding it in

Ok, so, this is kinda strange, but here's my deal. For all my life, since I was a little kid, I've held in my poop for as long as humanly possible. Serious. When I was a little kid I was to busy running around and playing to go all the way inside when I had to do the 2s. It eventually came up and my parents took me to the doctors and I had to eat prunes and prune juice and what not for a while. And for a while I was good and I had my daily drop. But old habbits don't die easy and it wasn't long before I was back to holding it. Like I am seriously backed up. You wouldn't think you could hold it for a long time but you can and I do. Lately it's been like once every other week that I go, but I know there's been times where I've gone longer. And now anytime I feel any little pain in my body I freak out and think I'm gonna die because I haven't taken care of my body. But I'm tired of wondering and I wanted to know if anyone knew anything, like if this will cause any major problems and what not.

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Re: holding it in

It can kill you. I had to go to the hospital...not from holding it but from being constipated. They said I was seriously ill. Everything turned out alright for me but please stop that.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-03-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
(male)

barrycuda HB User

well thats not healthy for sure. you should go once a day. take fibre supplements like metamusil daily, works like a charm.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-03-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Terribly unhealthy. I had a phobia about public restrooms when I was a child and teenager, and I'm paying for it now with diverticulitis, colon surgery, constipation and diarrhea, colon pain...I wish I'd just gone ahead and gone!

You need to fix this before you do permanent damage. Drink at least 64 ounces of water (water, not soda, not energy drinks, not beer lol) every day, take a soluble fiber supplement daily, and eat your fruits and vegetables. And when you need to go, just go!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
(male)

johncbackedup HB User

Ok, thank you all very much. Considering that I'm pretty health and I don't experience a whole lot of pain, and that I'm nipping this problem in the but; do you think that I should be fine in the future?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
(male)

mjctx HB User

I have had the same problems. I withheld as a kid and developed chronic constipation. My colon became enlarged and does not contract as it is supposed to to push out waste. I haven't withheld since my mid-teens, but I am still chronically constipated. I can only go twice a week with the help of laxatives.

I hate to say it, but you may have damaged yourself permanently. All I can say is do your very best to develop and maintain healthy bowel habits. It may require a conscious and continuous effort to avoid problems in the future.

Closed Thread