It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User
Unhappy Does anyone know what this is?

Hi everyone

I suffer from a lot of symptoms which all started when I left high school (nearly 5 years ago). Round about the time of leaving school and starting college, I started having mild problems with diarrhea which I would only get every couple of weeks. Over the years my bowel problems along with other symptoms have gotten worse. Now I get constipation regularly as well as diarrhea along with many other symptoms.

Here are all my symptoms:

-Diarrhea regularly
-Constipation regularly
-Headaches nearly every day
-Bloating almost all day every day especially at night
-Feel tired all the time
-In the last couple of years my Iron has been low twice and my B12 low once
-Frequent urination regularly, but sometimes (every couple weeks) I have seen myself go up to 3 times in the space of an hour
-Slow healing when I catch infections and colds etc
-Hungry and thirsty all of the time
-Stomach pains and cramps
-Heart palpatations
-Wind
-Indigestion and heart burn
-Bad breath
-Feeling dizzy
-Always feeling cold

I know the list goes on a bit but thought I would include everything in case anyone has an idea of whats wrong with me. I get my symptoms every day - obviously not all of those in one day!! The doctor thinks it is just IBS but all of the different IBS medications she has given me has not helped. I am getting tested for Coeliacs on Tuesday so will see how that goes.

If anyone has any ideas of what else it could be please let me know

Thanks,
Sparkle88

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User
Re: Does anyone know what this is?

Does no-one else get, or had those symptoms?

Thanks

Old 05-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

You will want to read a book by Elaine Gottschall called Breaking The Vicious Cycle. It's a diet that's very helpful for IBS, Celiac and other bowel disorders and the symptoms that you get from them.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look online for that book. I had a blood test on Tuesday there for Coeliacs Disease and a few different food intolerances. I should receive my results for Coeliac either tomorrow or Monday, and should get my food intolerance tests back in around a weeks time. Would just be great to figure out whats causing my symptoms.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

I would have thought that diet would play a big part in your symptoms and knowhere do you mention it.

One of the symptoms of diabetes is thirst.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User

Hi Kennyboy

Well I have been tested for Diabetes before and it came back normal. But yeah I do feel thirsty all the time. The reason I thought it could be Coeliacs is because I eat a lot of cereal and bread in my diet and it does seem to bloat me and give me my symptoms. I eat a reasonable amount of fruit and veg but prob not enough - around 3 portions a day. I eat cereal in the mornings. I usually eat something like beans on toast or scrambled egg on toast for lunch and my evening meals usually involve chicken or fish. For snacks its usually fruit, crisps, nuts, or yogurt.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #7
(male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle88 View Post
Hi Kennyboy

Well I have been tested for Diabetes before and it came back normal. But yeah I do feel thirsty all the time. The reason I thought it could be Coeliacs is because I eat a lot of cereal and bread in my diet and it does seem to bloat me and give me my symptoms. I eat a reasonable amount of fruit and veg but prob not enough - around 3 portions a day. I eat cereal in the mornings. I usually eat something like beans on toast or scrambled egg on toast for lunch and my evening meals usually involve chicken or fish. For snacks its usually fruit, crisps, nuts, or yogurt.

Thanks

That sounds fairly healthy to me but you should try to drink as much water a day as you feel comfortable with even if you have diarrhea at the time. I'm a great believer in a regular dose of olive oil with everything I eat (about three desert spoons per meal). Have you tried adding oat bran fiber to your cereal? Both the oil and the fiber have a settling effect on other things you might eat. It may take a while for your gut bacteria to settle down to the oil but it will eventually and you can hope for regular soft stools at least more regularly than you get at the moment.

If your problem is related to a surplus of yeast in your system, which is possible, then the oil will sort that out too.

A heavy intake of salt can also cause thirst. Silly though it may seem but are you sure your thirst is not due to the fact that youíre not drinking enough?

You could be like that bloke (true story) whose Black and Decker drill packed up while his wife was changing a light bulb. So he took it apart but couldn't find anything obviously wrong with it. Decided to buy a new one and when he got it home and plugged it in that didn't work either. Exasperated he took that apart too and couldn't find anything amiss with it either so put it back together and returned it to the shop for a replacement. Got that home plugged it in and nothing happened at which point his wife hollered....'Is it alright to turn the power back on now dear?'

Try the obvious first.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User

I usually have either one or two cups of tea a day and around 3-4 glasses or water or diluting juice. Yeah I could try drinking more water though and see if that helps.

Do you think it may be a yeast infection then more than anything else? I called the docs today for my Coeliac results but they are not back yet. I hope its not just IBS because all of the IBS tablets the docs have gave me in the past have not worked.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

To answer your question about yeast infection...yes, it's totally possible that your problem could be due to candida. I've thought for a long time now, that I have candida. Candida feeds on sugar, so eliminating all sugar from your diet would be the first thing to try. And while I've not tried it myself, I have heard/read that grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is helpful in ridding the intestinal tract of a candida infection...so you could try that, as well. By the way...many of the common symptoms of Celiac disease, are also the same exact symptoms of Candida...so there's a very fine line between the two. I've had the bloodtest for Celiacs, which came back negative. I too, tend to eat lots of whole grain cereals & breads...so I immediately figured it was celiac's or some type of gluten-intolerance. However, I've been told that the only way to get a conclusive diagnosis of celiacs, is to have an endoscopy done...as the bloodtest for it often reads a "false-negative".

Last edited by nscrbug; 05-08-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
To answer your question about yeast infection...yes, it's totally possible that your problem could be due to candida. I've thought for a long time now, that I have candida. Candida feeds on sugar, so eliminating all sugar from your diet would be the first thing to try. And while I've not tried it myself, I have heard/read that grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is helpful in ridding the intestinal tract of a candida infection...so you could try that, as well. By the way...many of the common symptoms of Celiac disease, are also the same exact symptoms of Candida...so there's a very fine line between the two. I've had the bloodtest for Celiacs, which came back negative. I too, tend to eat lots of whole grain cereals & breads...so I immediately figured it was celiac's or some type of gluten-intolerance. However, I've been told that the only way to get a conclusive diagnosis of celiacs, is to have an endoscopy done...as the bloodtest for it often reads a "false-negative".
Hi nscrbug

I completely agree with everything you have said. I thought it could be candida until my doc asked me to write a food diary which is when I realised how much gluten is in my diet. I should get my test results for Coeliac soon but my doc says if it comes back negative then I will get the biopsy done as well.

Before I did a food diary, a couple of months ago, I mentioned candida to my doc but she said she had never heard of it. I did read online though that docs deny its existance.

If the blood test and the biopsy come back negative for Coeliacs then I will try the candida diet and see what happens.

Would just be great to find out whats wrong as its not much fun feeling like this as you will know. Thought I would just post my symptoms up on this forum to see what everyone else thought it could be.

You've had the blood test for Coeliacs, so whats your next step? Are you going for a biopsy or that to double check?

Thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Yes, I do plan on having the biopsy done...just haven't made an appointment with a GI doc just yet. I guess I have some underlying fears and anxiety about the endoscopy procedure...doesn't sound very pleasant. I was also thinking of having a colonscopy done at the same time...just to get it out of the way and give me piece of mind. I'd rather go through the "prep" for these tests only once...hence the reason for having them both done at the same time. I've heard the prep is worse than the procedure itself.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #12
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User

Yeah if my blood test is negative then I want to get the biopsy done. I think they still do the biopsy though even if it comes back positive just so they can properly comfirm it. What is a colonscopy?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Colonscopy is a procedure that is done to check for colon cancer and other possible conditions that involve the large intestines. The day before the test is done, you have to drink an unpleasant-tasting liquid that "cleans" out your bowels. You need to be near a toilet all day...sounds like fun. Then the day of the test, you are put under mild sedation while they insert a scope with a tiny camera into your rectum. My sister just had one, and she said she never felt a thing during the procedure because she was so out of it. She said the entire thing took like 20 minutes. Most people say that the "prep day" is worse than the actual test, because of the nasty stuff you have to drink and constantly needing to use the toilet.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #14
(female)

Sparkle88 HB User

That sounds lovely! lol. Worth it though if they find something. My doctor has never mentioned this too me, shes only mentioned the biopsy. The part about needing to be near a toilet all day..... I always need to make sure I'm near a toilet whenever I'm going to eat

What are your symptoms by the way?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

My primary symptoms are excessive bloating, gas, stomach churning/gurgling, abdominal pain & cramping, and sometimes diarrhea and/or constipation...in otherwords, the classic IBS symptoms. And I've come to the conclusion, that it's all definitely food-related...because I always feel worse after a meal. I do think I have narrowed it down to being a lactose and/or gluten intolerance issue. I've been experimenting a bit with eliminating certain foods and then seeing how I feel afterwards. One thing I have noticed, is that it seems as though I can tolerate a certain amount of dairy, but when I exceed that limit...all heck breaks loose. For example...I LOVE yogurt, and was eating it up to 3x a day. I began noticing that my symptoms definitely worsened in the evening, after my last meal of the day...which incidentally, included a yogurt. I tried eliminating that last yogurt of the day, and my symptoms dramatically improved. So that leads me to believe that I can tolerate some lactose in my diet, but when I exceed a certain amount...my symptoms explode. No more yogurt in the evening for me.

Closed Thread