It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

mich423 HB User
Unhappy Help!! I'm in alot of pain from Defecography

Hi everyone! I finally had my defecography after waiting 6 months for my insurance to work things out. I am glad it's finally over, but now I am experiencing terrible pain under my ribcage and in my lower stomach. I can't be sure if this is because of the defecography or not, because I had a similar pain a few nights ago.

I was informed that there would be leakage of the gel that they inserted into my intestines, but no one said anything about pain. I really don't want to check into emergency on a friday night and also they wouldn't take me to the same hospital where it was performed because it's in another county and would be out of their way. I would have to take a cab I guess. But all the doctors and techs are gone for the weekend as well.

My defecography was done differently from others I have read about. It was all done lying down on my back, not on a potty or toilet and after the gel was inserted I had to wait almost half an hour before I was able to expel any of it. Since I was lying down I found it extremely difficult to pass, even though I was told to push down as hard as I could. I haven't had any leakage but I think this is because nothing ever "leaks" out of my rectum, I always have to manually remove it with my fingers, even when it is soft. People here have told me to just wait and it will come down and out, so I tried that, but the stool just sat in my rectum and gave me pain until I manually removed it.

Doesn't it seem strange that they would be able to tell how your intestines and rectum work while you are lying down?? Wouldn't it be more natural to be in a sitting position? I was told by the tech it didn't make a difference but I don't believe that. I can't pee or pooh lying down!!! The pain is coming in waves and when the tech finally told me to press down as hard as I could, I didn't press hard enough, so he said "harder, hard as you can" I could feel my back and my sciatica pop! It's bad enough I have to press so hard every day when I go.

I think I may have an idea of why i'm in pain and i feel a little burning sensation, I noticed on tissue paper after wiping that the gel has perfume in it! I'm allergic to certain perfumes! I guess I'll just have to wait and see until all this gel comes out, but for now I feel like I'm getting kicked in the stomach! If anyone else has experienced this please let me know and what I should do for the pain.

Thanks,
Mich

I just wanted to add that along with the pain I also have a constant "urge" to evacuate, but once again have to use my finger and press down for anything to come out! I've done that five times already and I'm tired now. But the urge is still there.

Last edited by mich423; 05-15-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: additional info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
(female)

mich423 HB User
Re: Help!! I'm in alot of pain from Defecography

Can anyone please help me here??? The pain went slowly awy after I took some Bentyl for the cramping pain, it felt like someone kicking me in the stomach.

What I want to know is has anyone had a defecography in the lying down position? Also how long have most of you had to wait for results? I had a terrible time going to the bathroom today, one of the techs told me that the gel they used, which is the same as they use for sonograms, would help the stool slide out easier. I know none of you believe me here but no matter how soft or pastey my stool is it doesn't go past a certain point and I have to reach in with my finger to scrape it out or sometimes just to get an urge. Something like a lump is there and it has to be pushed aside before the stool comes out. Metamucil, stool softeners and other types of fiber don't help anymore. Now I am finding another "lump" which is further up and towards the back of my rectum which I struggled with today. It's almost as if I opened another hole on the other side of the rectum. I had to reach so far inside and towards the back of me and push down so hard it was like giving birth! I haven't always had this, but my doctor only told me these things just get worse. Please someone out there answer me!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I feel terrible that no one has responded, but I don't know what this test is. Someone else MUST have had this, no?

Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

Maza HB User

Hi Mich423,
Sorry no one has responded, hopefully someone will soon, that has gone through that procedure.
Me personally have not heard of it before
I hope you are feeling better soon.

Closed Thread