It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

sheekchic HB User
Thrombosed hemorrhoid removed June 5th, help!

Hello everybody. I am new here. I am searching for a more active community, as I need some help and advice.

As I stated, I had an emergency situation on June 5th. I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid removed. My doc said I would be back to myself w/in a week. I was eternally thankful for her, said to do the surgery as I was going on vacation the following week.

Well, I am now 2.5 weeks past surgery and though physically I'm feeling a bit better, I'm still having a lot of pain during and after my bm's. As a little history...I'm very active, have 3 small children, eat pretty good, plenty of water and all that. I did have hemorrhoids a tiny bit with my last pregnancy, but nothing to be concerned about. They sort of went away and came back a little over a year now. (last child is almosst 18 months). Looking back on it, I should have seen a colon/rectal doc a long time ago, soon after my last child was born, so I could have things checked out. But, hindsight is always 20/20 right? Anyway, they never bothered me, never stuck out of me really, they were just there. I never had pain, bleeding... well, a little after the birth for awhile, but it went away. My o.b. always told me that they will go away.

Well, I went out for a jog on Monday of that week, had a thrombosed hemorrhoid on Wednesday. I had surgery that Friday and now am just wondering what the heck is going on.

My body completely shut down on Wednesday, meaning I had no bm on Wednesday. I didn't have a bm until Saturday, the day after my surgery. I pushed so hard and for so long that I actually broke blood vessels in my eyes and thought I was going to pass out from the trauma/pain. There was a ton of blood in the toliet and I was in shock from the pain. Anyway, 1 week after, I felt something sticking out, so returned to my doc's office to have things checked. Low and behold, it was so inflammed that she could hardly get my butt cheeks apart. The tissue was from trauma of the bm and I popped a stitch. She told me that it will heal itself, it's just really inflammed and in a week, she told me I should be feeling a lot better. Well, she said that 1 week prior to that and I still feel like crap. (no pun intended)

Anyway, so I popped a stitch and now have this flap of tissue hanging down. I do my water, fiber, fruit, stool softeners and it still hurts tremendously bad. I could have a thin bm and it would hurt. I've been reading about anal fistula's and fissures. I have had two fissures previously in my life and those have been no fun, but this definitely takes the cake. Yesterday, I had 3 bm's, all very soft and came out right away, I didn't push or anything....and they hurt like hell, but I was sore and in pain for most of the day. Felt like somebody pulled me apart, just so, so, so sore. I can't take pain meds, because I'm at home with my kids all day. I'm seeing some blood on the stool and some blood in the stool. I'm concerned, so I phoned my doc again, and have not heard back.

Right now, I'm frustrated and upset because she never really told me the pain and recovery would be this bad and for this long, number one. Secondly, I've heard of other less invasive procedures that she didn't even discuss with me. I realize I was an emergency, but I could deal with 2 days of pain, if I was going to be out of pain after those two days. I'm trading a hemorrhoid for what feels like a knife slicing up my behind.

I'm more than positive that I have internal hemorrhoids, but she never checked me while I was out for the hemorrhoidectomy. That really makes me mad. I want to be sure, so I can start looking for doctors that do other, less invasive procedures than banding and/or stapling. I've heard of hemorrhoidlysis...my sister in-law had it done and was virtually pain-free, never had a recurrence in 8 years.

I know I'm still a little early in my recovery, but to be honest, my pain during and after bm's has not really changed since the first few days after surgery. I don't see my doc again until the 29th and I've called the doc's office because last week, I wiped and out came my stitches? Um, hello? Aren't they suppose to be dissolvable? Wouldn't she want to look at me internally somewhat to ensure that everything is still okay in there? My doc does not perform the hemorrhoidlysis. All she does is hemorrhoidectomy's and stapling and something called TDH????

I was given no topical, no medicine to help anything heal, but I guess that's normal? I called today and the nurse said, well, she will probably give you soemthing internally to help heal inside. WHAT???? Why didn't she give me that 2 weeks ago? This pain is so awful, I must be missing something?

Can anybody help me? I'm trying to understand if what I'm experiencing is normal, did anybody get medicine for internal use? Has anybody's stitches come out??? What about other procedures that anybody had done either internally or externally that were less invasive?

Help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
(female)

jlb1191 HB User
Re: Thrombosed hemorrhoid removed June 5th, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekchic View Post
Hello everybody. I am new here. I am searching for a more active community, as I need some help and advice.

As I stated, I had an emergency situation on June 5th. I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid removed. My doc said I would be back to myself w/in a week. I was eternally thankful for her, said to do the surgery as I was going on vacation the following week.

Well, I am now 2.5 weeks past surgery and though physically I'm feeling a bit better, I'm still having a lot of pain during and after my bm's. As a little history...I'm very active, have 3 small children, eat pretty good, plenty of water and all that. I did have hemorrhoids a tiny bit with my last pregnancy, but nothing to be concerned about. They sort of went away and came back a little over a year now. (last child is almosst 18 months). Looking back on it, I should have seen a colon/rectal doc a long time ago, soon after my last child was born, so I could have things checked out. But, hindsight is always 20/20 right? Anyway, they never bothered me, never stuck out of me really, they were just there. I never had pain, bleeding... well, a little after the birth for awhile, but it went away. My o.b. always told me that they will go away.

Well, I went out for a jog on Monday of that week, had a thrombosed hemorrhoid on Wednesday. I had surgery that Friday and now am just wondering what the heck is going on.

My body completely shut down on Wednesday, meaning I had no bm on Wednesday. I didn't have a bm until Saturday, the day after my surgery. I pushed so hard and for so long that I actually broke blood vessels in my eyes and thought I was going to pass out from the trauma/pain. There was a ton of blood in the toliet and I was in shock from the pain. Anyway, 1 week after, I felt something sticking out, so returned to my doc's office to have things checked. Low and behold, it was so inflammed that she could hardly get my butt cheeks apart. The tissue was from trauma of the bm and I popped a stitch. She told me that it will heal itself, it's just really inflammed and in a week, she told me I should be feeling a lot better. Well, she said that 1 week prior to that and I still feel like crap. (no pun intended)

Anyway, so I popped a stitch and now have this flap of tissue hanging down. I do my water, fiber, fruit, stool softeners and it still hurts tremendously bad. I could have a thin bm and it would hurt. I've been reading about anal fistula's and fissures. I have had two fissures previously in my life and those have been no fun, but this definitely takes the cake. Yesterday, I had 3 bm's, all very soft and came out right away, I didn't push or anything....and they hurt like hell, but I was sore and in pain for most of the day. Felt like somebody pulled me apart, just so, so, so sore. I can't take pain meds, because I'm at home with my kids all day. I'm seeing some blood on the stool and some blood in the stool. I'm concerned, so I phoned my doc again, and have not heard back.

Right now, I'm frustrated and upset because she never really told me the pain and recovery would be this bad and for this long, number one. Secondly, I've heard of other less invasive procedures that she didn't even discuss with me. I realize I was an emergency, but I could deal with 2 days of pain, if I was going to be out of pain after those two days. I'm trading a hemorrhoid for what feels like a knife slicing up my behind.

I'm more than positive that I have internal hemorrhoids, but she never checked me while I was out for the hemorrhoidectomy. That really makes me mad. I want to be sure, so I can start looking for doctors that do other, less invasive procedures than banding and/or stapling. I've heard of hemorrhoidlysis...my sister in-law had it done and was virtually pain-free, never had a recurrence in 8 years.

I know I'm still a little early in my recovery, but to be honest, my pain during and after bm's has not really changed since the first few days after surgery. I don't see my doc again until the 29th and I've called the doc's office because last week, I wiped and out came my stitches? Um, hello? Aren't they suppose to be dissolvable? Wouldn't she want to look at me internally somewhat to ensure that everything is still okay in there? My doc does not perform the hemorrhoidlysis. All she does is hemorrhoidectomy's and stapling and something called TDH????

I was given no topical, no medicine to help anything heal, but I guess that's normal? I called today and the nurse said, well, she will probably give you soemthing internally to help heal inside. WHAT???? Why didn't she give me that 2 weeks ago? This pain is so awful, I must be missing something?

Can anybody help me? I'm trying to understand if what I'm experiencing is normal, did anybody get medicine for internal use? Has anybody's stitches come out??? What about other procedures that anybody had done either internally or externally that were less invasive?

Help.
after reading and re-reading your post to make sure I read it right, basically what happened to you is way off. First off--get a new doctor. Some of us here are learning that the hard way. Rather than repost my original post, please look up "pain after hemorrhoid banding" and read what I and some other people are going through. You should of received a cream for internal, you should of received an internal exam, and you had many more options. I aa a mother of 4 children feel your pain and still can't believe doctors can get away with this. Use as many things as you can that help your bm's stay soft, fiber, water, etc. That should help the pain during them. Find a new doctor and have a check up. I am here if you have any questions and will help answer them in any way!!!! Keep me posted.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

sheekchic HB User

Thank you so much for your response.

I'm getting a second opinion on Monday.

What cream do I ask for? I asked several times and my doc told me no.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

2.5 % hydrocortisone with lidocaine works well. You have to get a script and it helps instantly with the sharp pain but also with swelling and itch. You can use for internal and external. Keep us posted!! Hang in there!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
(female)

sheekchic HB User

thank you, thank you, thank you. I have lidocaine for external, but she said I couldn't use anything for internal.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

Having a similar problem and yesterday my doc gave me a suppository for the internal one. Check into that, maybe you could get some of those to help. Hang in there!!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

craig2 HB User

I use a suppositiry called PROTOCEDAL and it seems to do the job but it's hard to tell with internal ones.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
(female)

Dizzie HB User

I haven't yet posted anything to this board ( I,too, am new here) but I have been reading and reading and how we suffer!!! Some of the stories are surprisingly similar. I had a hemmoroid removed 4 years ago because the pain was so bad and I knew it would not go away from my own attempts at removing it (been down this road before). I went to a Cololrectal surgeon armed with research that I got off the Web: basically, five different procedures that could be done, one of which I specifically said I did not want done: the banding. Well, of course, that's what they did, regardless, and I ended up with an infection and 12 perianal ulcers. How do they keep getting away with this over and over again? Now, here it is four years later, and I have rectal pain, once again. I saw the doctor and he gave me Vicoden and, now, Percocet for the pain. I hate the idea of such strong pain meds but, at the same time, I couldn't be more grateful. My blood pressure is up, my pulse rate is fast and even with such strong meds, at times they don't work. For me, during the day, the pain is not that bad at all (I could live with it) but from 4:00 pm until 2:00 am the next morning, I am in hell. Yesterday, I saw a Gastroenterologist that was recommended to me by my GP. Turns out that I have a huge hemmoroid on the right side and as far as I can tell a fissure on the left. The hemmeroid on the left side was banded 4 years ago and I'm thinking that what ever was left there, ruptured three months ago. I used a heating pad for about 6 hours a day and I think I got it under control but, now, I have a huge hemmeroid on the right side. Can I please catch a break!!! The nurse practitioner, I saw yesterday, gave me a cream, ANALPRAM, so we'll see. Do I have any hope that it will do something to fix things? Not for a second! I cannot understand how it is that with so many useless surgeries that have been done in the past like Tonselectomies, Hysterectomes, etc. no one has come up with something to effectively remove hemmoroids. My God, they take away all the simple pleasures in life and disrupt every aspect of it.
"I'm trading a hemorrhoid for what feels like a knife slicing up my behind." Boy, you got that right.

Closed Thread