It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
(female)

ripples57 HB User
Post Colon Resection/Any ideas how to wake up bowels?

Had my surgery 2 weeks ago and am healing well but am having a problem with constipation now. Any suggestions other than Miralax or other laxatives? I NEVER had this problem before surgery and am getting very frustrated. I just don't want to become dependent on laxatives and don't want the pain and gas that some rememdies produce.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
(female)

jlb1191 HB User
Re: Post Colon Resection/Any ideas how to wake up bowels?

Hi, many years of problems with constipation and going to have a hemorrhoidectmy soon. Trying myself to keep things moving. Here is what I do: Can't stress the water enough!!!! (and I hate water). Gatorade works for me. Hot cup of coffee or tea first thing in the morning, rolled oats of some kind, apple with skin, and dried fruits, apricots, prunes, etc. Orange or grapefruit also helps and of course nuts and seeds do wonders.
After having surgery you may just be sitting still too long. Talk a walk, even a small one, bend if you can, go around the house and pick things up, get your blood flowing--moving does wonders.
Take a fiber supplement like metamucil--not addicting--every night before bed. It helps to bulk things up but you must still eat fiber.
I am on senekot now (vegetable lax) and it has helped me.
Treating constipation is done with a mix of things not just one. Try a few and see what works for you. Good luck and hang in there!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

ripples57 HB User

Thanks JLB. I didn't mention I walk-and walk-and walk. Several times a day I'm outside walking my property and weeding my gardens. I do a lot of bending. I also drink tons of water. I am beginning to think maybe this will be my "normal". I used to go every morning like clockwork. When I first had surgery I was going fine several times a day with no problem. So now it has slowed way down. I took Miralax the other day. About 4 hrs later I went no problem. I do not eat as much as I used to now. Usually 6 small meals a day. I added fresh peaches and strawberries yesterday. I used to eat plenty of fiber before this happened to me. I've been on a low residue diet for almost 3 months so I think it's just going to take some time for my body to get used to having the fiber again.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Low residue diet for 3 months? I've never heard of that (not that my experience is THAT extensive, but I do read a lot about these matters). I would have thought that you would have been instructed to start adding fiber back into your diet by now. Personally, I would go with food solutions or even, only if necessary, fiber supplements before I took a stimulant laxative. Fruits and veggies and I like the oatmeal suggestion.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
(female)

ripples57 HB User

The beginning of April was when I had my first "attack" and ended up in the hospital with a drain tube in my belly because I had an abscess. The dr told me I would need to follow the diet to let my intestines heal before they could do the surgery. So while in the hospital a few weeks ago after surgery, they had a dietician come and explain to me again the low residue diet and that I would need to follow it for a week or two more which I did and this week I have been adding some fruits and whole grains in. They told me to do it slowly so as not to cause myself alot of bloating and cramping and gas. B4 all this happened, I ate a really good diet. Lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains and plenty of water. Never had a problem going to the bathroom. It's very upsetting and I try not to think the worst. I hope this doesn't mean that I will have this problem the rest of my life. I'm just tired and worn out and sick of having to worry all the time about going to the bathroom. If this is the way I have to live, I wish I never had it done!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripples57 View Post
Thanks JLB. I didn't mention I walk-and walk-and walk. Several times a day I'm outside walking my property and weeding my gardens. I do a lot of bending. I also drink tons of water. I am beginning to think maybe this will be my "normal". I used to go every morning like clockwork. When I first had surgery I was going fine several times a day with no problem. So now it has slowed way down. I took Miralax the other day. About 4 hrs later I went no problem. I do not eat as much as I used to now. Usually 6 small meals a day. I added fresh peaches and strawberries yesterday. I used to eat plenty of fiber before this happened to me. I've been on a low residue diet for almost 3 months so I think it's just going to take some time for my body to get used to having the fiber again.
Sounds like your doing all the right things! In the past someone once told me to do the strangest thing. He said to sit on the toilet every morning at the same time for 5 minutes even if you don't have to go. I thought he was crazy but I was desperate. Well after many years of changing my diet and lifestyle, I must say that a cup of joe in the morning and sitting on the toilet every morning, well it works. Something about your body just knowing it's the time. This I believe is the key to becoming "regular". I always envy the people that go to the bathroom everyday at the same time.(my husband) I thought how does he do that?? Along with everything else you may be right and your body is just adjusting. Give it a little time and hang in there. Keep me posted!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
(female)

ripples57 HB User

Funny you say that about sitting for 5 minutes. That's exactly what I have been doing for days. I used to be like clockwork every morning about 6am. Then the surgery. Well I'm happy to say (sounds crazy) that this afternoon I was going to take a dose of Miralax but I just kept trying to go and FINALLY it happened. Now I've gone 3 times since. Guess it just took my body a while to catch up. Thanks for posting. I would have tried coffee, but it doesn't agree with my nerves and gives me palpitations. I drink fresh lemon tea every morning though. Thanks again.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
(female)

jlb1191 HB User

Glad to hear it--sometimes your body just needs a chance!! Tea works great too!! Good luck to you!

Closed Thread