It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

L00king4help HB User
Exclamation Bowel movements, that can not be right. Help!

Hello, first I want to thank any of you who are going to read this and be able to help me, you all are going to be my doctors because I can not afford or have the insurance to visit one any time soon. Thank you in advance.

My name is Brittany, I'm a 19, soon to be 20 year old white female standing 5 feet 7 inches tall and overweight for my age at about 210 pounds last time I checked. I have had this problem now for quite some time and I'm starting to get very worried for the fact that it is getting worse.

Every time after any intake of food. No matter what it is from bread, to cheese to meat or fruit I have a very painful set of cramps and between 5 minutes to 20 minutes after eating I have a diarrhea bowel movement, that is yellow in color. And it occurs more then the once. After one movement I have them in intervals for about an hour on and off, from that point on. After each I feel myself becoming more and more weak... Its almost to the point where the pain is so extreme that it makes me want to stop eating all together so I don't have the diarrhea anymore...

I've looked at many websites but It's very hard for me to find something that fits my symptoms exactly. Ive read everything from:

GASTROENTERITIS to GIARDIA. GALLBLADDER DISEASE to INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE.

I simply can't find an answer... and I'm starting to get very worried that it could progress into something much worse. What I am wondering from you all is if you have, or have had this problem, know someone who went though this... or know anything about this problem. I'm looking for any and all help or advice I can receive.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
(female)

Reiannasmommy26 HB User
Re: Bowel movements, that can not be right. Help!

I know you may not be able to pay for health Ins right now, but at least go to your local Med Center or ER they have to take you if you have it or not. I have Crohns. and it sounds a lot like what I have. Anything where you are having bowel movements, for as long as you have and with the bad cramps you should see a dr.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

The first thing that comes to mind is what is posted by Reiannasmommy26. If you are not covered by your parents insurance then go to an emergency room and get help...you might have to wait to be treated but it might be a starting place. or see if your town/city has a public health clinic or hospital...if you do need medical attention and no money then perhaps they/hospital's social workers can get you into the system. Good luck and I am sorry you are suffering so much...what is going on with you is just not fun at all!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #4
(female)

L00king4help HB User

Thank you so much for the replies. I looked up Crohns Disease and am still reading into it. I can't seem to find a relation between it and bowel movements after eating... If you could please tell me about the diagnosis what was said to you regarding it, the symptoms, and the medication prescribed, or any in general information you know about the disease that might not be said online. Something like what types of food trigger it etc... I have started a notebook, and have an entry for everything I intake and the time and type of bowel movement I have following. I'm trying to find a link between types of foods and the problem... I will look into trying to find a heath clinic again. I'm not sure if this condition has anything to do with my other health problems or not. Maybe you have had some of these as well so I'm going to go ahead and mention them...

I was said to have a type of Asthma when I was younger... that's currently untreated. Also I have not had a menstrual cycle since January of 08' it just vanished one day and has not returned. I have very high blood pressure, and have been smoking cigarettes for years. I also believe I may have depression. I often have lower back pain, maybe it's because of my weight but perhaps it's something else. I have no have pain as of yet in my sides like it says for Crohns Disease, but perhaps it doesn't always occur in all people. Maybe it is all completely different problems but maybe it is linked, I'm trying to get everything out there that may cause more body complications. Perhaps someone has some or all of these problems as well and I can have more links to note. I have tried to go many places including: Health centers, women centers, and the ER but nobody could ever give me a diagnosis... they only tacked me with very high bills... I am just starting to lose hope that I can be helped and that is why I have turned to forums... If you have any information you can share about your diagnosis it would be of great help.

Thank you again.

Last edited by L00king4help; 07-07-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

I'm sorry to hear of your suffering. One thing you said about not menstruating reminded me of myself. I have graves disease (over active thyroid), and stopped menstruating. I had heaps of symptoms including depression and bowel movements everytime I ate. However I didn't get the stomach pains and it wasn't diarrhrea. I'm in Australia so I don't know anything about your medical system. You may also have a food intolerance, maybe gluten or wheat but this wouldn't explain your lack of menstruation. Whatever, you really do need to see a doctor, it's impossible to diagnose you over the internet and even if someone could we can't treat you and you can't treat yourself. I really hope you see a Doctor and get an answer soon.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
(female)

L00king4help HB User

Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I went ahead and looked it up as well. Reading over the symptoms I'll share which are affecting me.

* Anxiety - Yes
* Difficulty concentrating - No
* Double vision - No
* Eyeballs that stick out (exophthalmos) - No
* Eye irritation and tearing - No
* Fatigue - Yes
* Frequent bowel movements - Yes
* Goiter (possible) - Unsure
* Heat intolerance - Unsure, I think not though.
* Increased appetite - My appetite is very unstable so I can not tell if it has increased or decreased.
* Increased sweating - Yes
* Insomnia, restlessness and/or difficulty sleeping - Yes
* Menstrual irregularities in women - Yes
* Muscle weakness - Yes
* Nervousness - Yes
* Rapid or irregular heartbeat (palpitations) - Unsure
* Shortness of breath with exertion - Yes
* Tremor - No
* Weight loss (rarely, weight gain) - Unsure

Goodness... This is all so overwhelming. It could be a possibility for me, but in every article they hugely outline exophthalmos. Which I don't believe I have. I'm not sure if it is a 100% symptom or not, but it would explain my weakness, sleep problems, bowel movements, depression, and menstrual cycle... You said your menstrual cycle disappeared also... about the time mine did I believe that was about the time I started having bowel complications, or at least that's what I can remember. I used to think it was normal for sometime after it started so I ignored it until this year when it started becoming more and more dominate. Did the two come together and happen around the same time for you?

Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Most often, I have heard of the diarrhea soon after eating being diagnosed IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome. But this is not a diagnosis of a precise disorder, but is used when other conditions (such as Crohn's or gastritis) have been ruled out. And, thus, there is not one treatment. Many people experiment with the foods they eat to see what reacts and what does not, and there is no one list of foods that works for everyone.

Two groups of foods often cited as causing problems are grains(especially those with high gluten content) and dairy. Elaine Gottschall has written a book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle, available through interlibrary loan, that talks about a possible cure for various GI track complaints. Many swear by it. The regime proposed is quite strict, but personally I think anyone suffering any kind of GI track problem would benefit from reading it. The general idea outlined is called the Specific Carbohydrate Plan, and some information is available online about that.

Keeping a food diary might prove helpful. Though you may remember what you eat quite well, sometimes we see a pattern if it is written down . . . especially if a reaction might come a day or two later.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
(female)

L00king4help HB User

Thank you for letting me know about this book. I will get my hands on a copy as soon as possible perhaps it is IBS, or it might have something to do with grains or dairy... Its so hard to tell since I just started noting my intakes... I really wish I had started this long ago... Its upsetting to think I have gone through this thinking it wasn't anything serious... Its so good to see people care. Thank you again to you and to everyone who is helping me.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

Oh no you don't have to have all the symptoms on the list. I most definitely did not have any eye involvement, I know other Graves sufferers and none of them had any eye involvement, I don't know why they put such an emphasis on the eyes. I also did not have a goitre, my thyroid was normal size. I will list all my symptoms: huge appetite : lost lots of weight : no period : anxious : nervous : heat intolerance : sweating : rapid, thumping heart (you'd know if you had that), tremor : increased bowel movements. That's all I had on your list,the other symptoms I had were :depression : mood swings : eratic bahaviour : dull hair : nails kept breaking : rashes...anywhere but a severe acne type rash on my lower back. The thyroid gland controls metabolism so when it's out of wack it can effect every cell in your body so it's no wonder it has so many symptoms.
I'm not sure if all of my symptoms started at the same time, but that's not important. I just remember thinking I must have been starting menopause: stopped menstruating, feeling hot, mood swings. My daughter was getting married later that year so I put most of the other stuff down to stress. It was the weight loss that finally got me to the Doctor. Looking back I'd had symptoms for at least 9 months before I was diagnosed.
You could certainly have IBS also, I'd imagine hyperthyroidism would exacerbate that.
I would advise you to have a thyroid blood test.I don't mean to frighten you but untreated hyperthyroidism can lead to some very serious problems, which can lead to death .As you can imagine, your metabolism speeds up out of control so all your organs including your heart is working overtime. Regardless of what you've got you really need to see a Doctor. I hope I've been of some help to you.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
(female)

lheaman HB User

possibly lupus?

Closed Thread