It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

Jules211 HB User
Normal colonoscopy- what could biopsy show?

I just had my first colonoscopy... my symptoms are rectal bleeding, mucous and undigested food in stool and back/abdominal pain, all of which started earlier this year. The colonoscopy came back normal. The GI doc said there was mild inflammation present but that was inconclusive by itself so he took some tissue for biopsy and I should get the results in about a week. I'm really surprised there wasn't something obviously wrong found in the colonoscopy (based on the severity of my symptoms). My question is, what could the biopsy show that the colonoscopy did not? I don't remember talking to the doc but my responsible adult said this ruled out Crohns but it could still be ulcerative colitis or celiac disease... but I'm just confused how I could have either without some definitive results from the test today. Any advice is really appreciated while I wait for results!

Last edited by Jules211; 07-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
(female)

tonster71 HB User
Re: Normal colonoscopy- what could biopsy show?

How did you get on, am glad it showed normal, did you get any more definitive answers yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Hi we are in much the same boat. My 16 yr old just had hers this morning, upper and lower. The drs said she had a "suspicious" spot near or in her stomach that we have to wait 2 weeks for results. I am sure they sent it off to Johns Hopkins. Last time she had an ovarian "mass" they sent the biopsies there.

Did the dr mention an ucler to you? Are you on reflux meds? I hope the week goes by fast. Good Luck,
Bonnie

Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Jules,

I hope you have your test results back by now?? Inflammation of the colon is surely not specific. Having tests that are normal are not only confusing but very frustrating.

The doctor should have seen the cause for rectal bleeding since the blood has to be caused by something--- usually by hemorrhoids, a fissure or an ulcer. The object is to make sure the bleeding is not serious. It sorta makes you doubt --HOW Good the Doctor IS??

A biopsy of the colon is usually taken of a polyp that can be benign or cancerous. It is taken of tissure to determine the cause of the inflammation. There are only 2 Irritable Bowel Diseases -- Crohn's and Ulceratd Colitis. But there can be other colon problems.

Digestion of food is done in the upper part of the small intestines and stomach/duodenum. Also, Celiac disease is checked in the upper part of your small intestines to determine if the villi that helps food digestion is damaged (villi biopsy). Damage is caused by the protein in wheat, barley, rye and oats.

Undigested food in the stool usually indicates your transit time is too fast for proper digestion.

I wish you well and that you can find out some answers!!

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 08-01-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Typos

Closed Thread