It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

kristenxrenee HB User
Unhappy rectal prolapse

I been having problems with my bowels, and based on my internet research I'm pretty sure I have a rectal prolapse. It has moved past the point of only coming out when I use the bathroom, and it often stays out and is very painful until I put it back in myself. I've heard if it starts coming out a lot more then it already it is, I will need surgery and not just have it corrected by not straining any longer. Does anyone know how long it will be before it turns into a full prolapse where it comes out by the inches?

Old 07-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
(male)

hemmy HB User
Re: rectal prolapse

I had rectal prolapse for years, mostly caused by hemorrhoids. It mainly came out after a bowel movement but upon pushing it back in manually all was fine. Eventually it would happen anytime and i wasn't able to keep it in and had to have surgery. In my experience, once it progresses to the point i described, surgery is the only way to fix it. Straining is the number one cause for prolapse imho.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

kristenxrenee HB User

thanks hemmy,
could you tell me how the surgery was?
im really scared, im only 16 and the thought of surgery because of my bowels is worrying me. ive known these problems ive had cant be good, but like i said, its starting to come out on its own and not just with a bm. i guess surgery is what i need but before i go to the doctor and hear this news, i was hoping to learn how horrible this srgery would be

Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
(male)

hemmy HB User

I can only tell u about hemmorhoid surgery as that was the cause of my rectal prolapse. Being as young as u are, and if indeed u do have rectal prolapse, there could be another underlying cause.

Anyway, i won't sugarcoat it. The surgery was not fun. I had 3 large hemmorhoids removed. Since i had no stitching, it was basically like having a large open wound up there. The first 2 weeks are the worst, bowel movements hurt, discharge, muscle spasms when urinating. The pain is manageable with meds and stool softeners are a must to keep everything flowing easy. It was 5 weeks before i could return to work but everyone heals differently, mine were exceptionally bad so someone else could have a much faster recovery.

The bottom line is go see your doctor. The sooner u do, the sooner u get fixed up and back to a normal life. Rectal prolapse will not repair itself. Get checked and don't worry. U are very young and will heal much faster than an old geezer like me.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

dcm HB User

No,I don't know that answer but increased stress ,heavy lifting, like happens during flight travel could increase your discomfort.That was my exp.If you opt for surgery take STOOL SOFTENERS BEFORE surgery AND I also recommend a high fiber diet LIFESTYLE change, if you don't eat high fiber now begin to and drink24/32 oz.of water everyday,mostly PRAY FOR GOD TO GUIDE YOUR EVERY STEP...AND ASK THE SURGEON QUESTIONS
I'LL PRAY FOR A HEALTHY OUTCOME FOR YOU...

Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
(female)

Linda312 HB UserLinda312 HB User

I had a full rectal prolapse for probably 10 years, but only when I went to the bathroom, otherwise I could retract it inside using my muscles. Just the last 2 years it's been pushing out when I jog/walk, etc. so I went ahead with surgery because I didn't want to get to a point where I had to push it back manually.

I had abdominal/lapriscopic assist surgery a week ago. I was in the hospital for 3 days - the first was hard because of the pain (I had a morphine button, so I don't actually remember the pain, just that I was waiting for my 10 minute intervals!), the 2nd because they make you get up, walk around and eat to get your system started, the 3rd I couldn't wait to leave. Good news though, I stopped taking pain killers after the 2nd day and now at home I still haven't needed them. Bad news, after I eat I get cramps then have to go. But I believe that will regulate itself soon.

Ultimately, I think it will be the best thing I've ever done. It's silly because all I thought about recouping was my stitches, etc. It seems to me that getting your system to function properly is even a bigger part of recouping.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
(female)

elley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda312 View Post
I had a full rectal prolapse for probably 10 years, but only when I went to the bathroom, otherwise I could retract it inside using my muscles. Just the last 2 years it's been pushing out when I jog/walk, etc. so I went ahead with surgery because I didn't want to get to a point where I had to push it back manually.

I had abdominal/lapriscopic assist surgery a week ago. I was in the hospital for 3 days - the first was hard because of the pain (I had a morphine button, so I don't actually remember the pain, just that I was waiting for my 10 minute intervals!), the 2nd because they make you get up, walk around and eat to get your system started, the 3rd I couldn't wait to leave. Good news though, I stopped taking pain killers after the 2nd day and now at home I still haven't needed them. Bad news, after I eat I get cramps then have to go. But I believe that will regulate itself soon.

Ultimately, I think it will be the best thing I've ever done. It's silly because all I thought about recouping was my stitches, etc. It seems to me that getting your system to function properly is even a bigger part of recouping.

Good luck.
Hi Linda,

How are you feeling now?

Elley

Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
(female)

Hi Elley - I'm doing well, thanks. For Kristen - if you're only 16 and you suspect rectal prolapse you should get yourself to a colon rectal surgeon, or at the very least see your family doctor. Being so young, if you DO have prolapse, you'd probably do very well with surgery. My system was working again within days, and was pretty good again after about 4 weeks. I did, however, pay attention to people on these boards about what to eat for the first few weeks. Good luck with everything!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
(female)

elley HB User

Linda,

Thanks for responding. How long from when you discovered you had a prolapse rectum till you had surgery? I had a spinctoplasty in jul 2008 and around jan 2009 had problems when I had a bowel movement, something would come out of my rectum. It was very messy cleaning myself and had to push it up while wiping. For a long time I never knew if it was a hemroid or a prolapse rectum. I didnt have insurance as I was laid off of my job, so I just dealt with it. Last month my practoligist gave me a discount since I had no insurance so I went in for an exam hoping it was a hemroid and found out it was indeed a prolapse rectum. For almost a year it comes out all the time when I stand or walk and is quite a nusience. Any info is very helpful.

Thanks,

Elley

Last edited by elley; 02-15-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
(female)

Elley - I knew I had a problem for years, but as I said before, only when I went to the bathroom. Also, I still could use my muscles to retract it instead of having to push it in by hand. But, like you, very messy when going to the bathroom. About 2 years ago it started coming out more while I was walking, running, standing, etc. I also thought it was a hemroid and was surprised by the diagnosis until I researched it, then my case seemed standard. I was very pleased by the surgery which was in mid December (basically the surgeon cut out part of my colon then reattached it) and it is a relief not to have to worry about leakage all the time. (Although, depending on your muscles, you may still have some leakage. That's a good reason not to wait too long and let your muscles get too flabby) I do have health insurance, though, so I'm sure that makes a difference. Good luck. If I can answer anything more just let me know!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
(female)

kristenxrenee HB User

Hey guys I didn't even realize people were still responding to this. I'm glad everything has worked out for you, I've still been too scared for surgery. It's gotten to the point where I have to push it back in myself almost everyday. My doctor said just to keep eating right and eventually my muscles will work better. I'm not sure if it's because I'm only 17 that they think it will work, or if it's hopeless and I'm going to need surgery.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #12
(female)

PeggyAW HB User

Quote:
Hi Elley - I'm doing well, thanks. For Kristen - if you're only 16 and you suspect rectal prolapse you should get yourself to a colon rectal surgeon, or at the very least see your family doctor. Being so young, if you DO have prolapse, you'd probably do very well with surgery. My system was working again within days, and was pretty good again after about 4 weeks. I did, however, pay attention to people on these boards about what to eat for the first few weeks. Good luck with everything!
Hello Linda,
I am set up to have rectal prolapse surgery on May 27th. Can you please give me some advice on what to do after surgery and what to expect when having the surgery? What is the prep like prior to surgery...is it the same as when you have a colonoscopy? Any advice will be so appreciated.
Peggy

Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
(female)

elley HB User
Wink Re: rectal prolapse

Quote:
Elley - I knew I had a problem for years, but as I said before, only when I went to the bathroom. Also, I still could use my muscles to retract it instead of having to push it in by hand. But, like you, very messy when going to the bathroom. About 2 years ago it started coming out more while I was walking, running, standing, etc. I also thought it was a hemroid and was surprised by the diagnosis until I researched it, then my case seemed standard. I was very pleased by the surgery which was in mid December (basically the surgeon cut out part of my colon then reattached it) and it is a relief not to have to worry about leakage all the time. (Although, depending on your muscles, you may still have some leakage. That's a good reason not to wait too long and let your muscles get too flabby) I do have health insurance, though, so I'm sure that makes a difference. Good luck. If I can answer anything more just let me know!
Hi Linda,
I was just wondering if you are still satisfied with your surgery and glad that you had it done.

Thanks and have a great weekend ‹

Elley

Old 05-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #14
(female)

Hi Elley & PeggyAW,

To answer both your questions...

Elley - yes, it's been about 5 months since my surgery and I am still satisfied. My body is not perfect. I still have a little staining on my underpants, but it is WAY better than it was. It was definitely worth having the surgery.

PeggyAW - I'm sorry I didn't see your question sooner. By now you've had the surgery so you know the prep is pretty much like a colonoscopy. I hope your surgery went well. I know that the first few days are really hard, especially when they wait to see if you're going to move your stool/fart. I took about 2 1/2 days. I used morphine the first couple of days, but after that I didn't need any pain killers.

One of the things I noticed was that for weeks after I was EXHAUSTED. You might feel that way yourself. Also, what a lot of doctors don't get into is that it will take your system a while to get working again. Mine took about a week to have formed stool, then a few months for it to be regular. Another thing that's different - the times I go to the bathroom have completely changed. When I brought it up to my surgeon he said that after surgery everybody usually has a "new normal."

The biggest advise I can give you now is about food. Most of the posts on this board say to GO SLOW. Some peoples' doctors say after a few days they can eat whatever they want. I followed the board's advice and stuck to soft foods for over a week, then SLOWLY began integrating more foods. Also, I didn't even try red meat for months. Now I can pretty much eat whatever I want.

It was my experience that it was annoying for a while after surgery, but ultimately it turned out great. I hope yours is the same way. Good luck with everything. Let me know how you're doing and if you have any other questions.

Linda

Last edited by Linda312; 05-29-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
(female)

elley HB User

Linda,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I have gotten to the point that I need to do something. i thought about taking out health insurance, but then I think they may not pay because of prexicting (sp) condition. My doctor said he would reduce his fee from 6,000 to 3,000 and the hospital and anesteoligist (sp) would be around 18,000 for cash. Thats a lot of money, but as it stands I am unable to work with this condition. So I just wanted to see how you felt about having the surgery and it does sound encouraging that you are so satisfied.

Thanks again,
Elley

Closed Thread