Blood and Mucus in Stool
I'm a 28 years old male. For the last three months I've been having bouts of mucus and blood on the surface of the stool. The mucus has appeared in clumps around the stool, and the blood has always been a streak on the outside of the formed stool. I've been to my GP 4 times for this, one time he found an anal fissure. Finally I got referred to a GI. I had the GI appointment today and she wants to do a colonoscopy on me, which is scheduled for 8/17. She's not concerned about it being colon cancer; but I am!! She thinks maybe either colitis or crohn's. I thought with colitis or crohn's you need diarrhea??
Here are my symptoms in a nutshell
- Mucus on stool. Some stools have more than others.
- Blood streaks on stool. Only appears on some stools. Can go days without it appearing.
- Abdominal cramping/bloating. Have had two bouts of this in last three months which lasts for a few days and goes away.
- Rectal/anal pain. Another weird symptom that comes and goes in spurts of 4-5 days. Feels like something is hurting/stinging inside the rectum.
- Stools are lumpy/hard in the beginning, and soft at the end of each bowel movement. Bowel movement is once per day.
I know colon cancer is extremely rare at my age, but I am still worried!!
I was hoping it was hemorrhoids or a fissure, but the GI doctor said that neither of those produce mucus! Looking up colon cancer, mucus is definitely possible! This is going to be a long wait until 8/17!
What else could this be?
Last edited by moderator2; 07-28-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules