It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
(male)

Reigns HB User
Tried everything - I can't poop.

I'm up right now, at 4 AM, because it's just that bad.

This started tuesday. I just haven't been able to poop since then.

Come friday, it was getting uncomfortable and it was all I could think about. My lower abdomen feels solid and heavy and pressurized. It's very uncomfortable.

I've tried:

Magnesium Citrate. It just made water come out for several hours. No solid waste came out.

I've tried stool softeners, they don't seem to do anything but make the pressure on my abdomen worse and make lots of noise.

I've tried milk of magnesia, which did essentially the same as the magnesium citrate but for a shorter period of time.

I have tried SEVERAL glycerine suppositories. After insertion I can feel them meeting with the "plug" and then they want to go in sideways. Because of that, they will slide out if I relax at all. Regardless, I held it in for about 45 minutes and nothing.

I went to the hospital. The physician did a rectal exam, probably the worse experience of my life, by the way, and said he didn't feel any hard stool or blockage.

He prescribed more laxatives and stool softeners, and he said if that doesn't work I'll need an enema.

This is also causing another problem, I have no appetite. I mean none whatsoever. I am extremely hungry, but have no appetite. I'm not sure if that makes sense. But I have probably only eaten 2000 calories since the start of this problem. I feel weak. I've also been making a strong effort to put on weight and this is ruining it.

I'm also a college student, and I simply can't concentrate at all with this problem.

This is seriously having a huge negative impact on my life.

I am a 20 year old male.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
(male)

hemmy HB User
Re: Tried everything - I can't poop.

Did u try the enema yet? If not follow the doctor's advise, go pick up a couple of fleet enemas at the local drugstore and give that a try. It would be wise either way to make an appointment with your doctor and explain what's been happening.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

Mr0863 HB User

Try the enema and you may have a pinched nerve/tight muscles/knot somewhere in your sacral region (lower back, above the buttocks) that makes us get the urge to go; believe me I had the same problem with the whole feeling heavy/pressure and felt nothing tight in my lower back--boy was I wrong when I had someone feel there.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
(male)

Reigns HB User

Now they've given my "golytely" which is a terrible, terrible tasting liquid. Same result as the laxatives, just water is coming out.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

"Golytely" is the solution they give you to clean yourself out before a colonoscopy. It does the job well. Perhaps you have nothing to in your intestines since you haven't eaten much. Mr0863 may be onto something with the pinched nerve, etc.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
(male)

Reigns HB User

They brought me to the hospital today, told me I'd have to stay a few days on IV and they may have to operate because they suspected bowel obstruction.

They FINALLY did an X-ray and saw that I'm constipated but no bowel obstruction, it's just pretty severe. Now I have to do enemas and hopefully more of those will work..

Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
(male)

Allan T HB User

Hi Mr 0863

Can you please explained what happened? How long was your disc pinched before you were helped?

I have been constipated for about 4 months. The doctors say it is a remote possibility that it is my discs. But my Gastroenterologist thinks that it is my disc. However, because of my L4-L5 hernation....I KNOW this is the problem. I have a slow colon and it feels like my sigmoid does not work. I feel hopeless. Can you please tell me what they did for you?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
(female)

Cindi W HB User

Hi. I've had a problem like that. I just can't go these days. I'm much older than you, but I've always had a constipation problem. When I did not have a constipation problem I thought something must be wrong, although it was nice that I went every day for a few months or years. But now something happened, I don't know what happened suddenly. Someone suggested chia powder or chia seeds, taking them regularly, I'm going to try that, I bought them tonight at the local health food store. I've done the enema thing lately, but nothing is getting me to move much, I took about 3 enemas finally something came out but not much. And not much is moving in the days since the enema, I'm thinking to take another enema tonight because my breath is smelling like puckey right now, I think it's coming up from my stomach. Awful, isn't it? But you're young ... try to think high fiber real food, add bran, apples, etc. to your daily fare. I agree with one poster who says maybe you don't have too much in there, but you might think about a cleanse, that is, waking up and drinking lots of water with fresh lemon juice, apple juice, etc. all day long for a few days. last time I did that it helped me, but these days I don't have the self-control for that. However, I might have to do that. After a few days, you'll get rid of stuff. I read that sometimes the bowel is just slow and when it doesn't move the stuff out fast enough, it stays there and loses water and gets hard. That might be what happened to me, but I am going to have to start another thread because of my symptoms. Anyway, i thought I'd share the chia seed business with you and also the cleanse. Hope it helps, please let us know how things are going.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
(male)

AflacBP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigns View Post
I'm up right now, at 4 AM, because it's just that bad.

This started tuesday. I just haven't been able to poop since then.

Come friday, it was getting uncomfortable and it was all I could think about. My lower abdomen feels solid and heavy and pressurized. It's very uncomfortable.

I've tried:

Magnesium Citrate. It just made water come out for several hours. No solid waste came out.

I've tried stool softeners, they don't seem to do anything but make the pressure on my abdomen worse and make lots of noise.

I've tried milk of magnesia, which did essentially the same as the magnesium citrate but for a shorter period of time.

I have tried SEVERAL glycerine suppositories. After insertion I can feel them meeting with the "plug" and then they want to go in sideways. Because of that, they will slide out if I relax at all. Regardless, I held it in for about 45 minutes and nothing.

I went to the hospital. The physician did a rectal exam, probably the worse experience of my life, by the way, and said he didn't feel any hard stool or blockage.

He prescribed more laxatives and stool softeners, and he said if that doesn't work I'll need an enema.

This is also causing another problem, I have no appetite. I mean none whatsoever. I am extremely hungry, but have no appetite. I'm not sure if that makes sense. But I have probably only eaten 2000 calories since the start of this problem. I feel weak. I've also been making a strong effort to put on weight and this is ruining it.

I'm also a college student, and I simply can't concentrate at all with this problem.

This is seriously having a huge negative impact on my life.

I am a 20 year old male.

Thank you.
If you are eating right and you dont have a completely sedentary lifestyle, it might be psychological. I sometimes can't go for a while unless I'm in the right state of mind. i.e. I like to play that Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 mission where you are the sniper sneaking through enemy territory. The feeling of covertness gets my bowels a-churnin for some reason. Also, I noticed that adderall really helps purge my system, kind of a secondary benefit.

I know these are weird solutions to try but if I couldnt poo for as long as you id try anything to avoid the enema.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
(female)

Cindi W HB User

How are you recently? I know it seems awful, but I've had problems for years. Have you ever gone on a "cleansing fast"? it helps. You have to be careful, though. Also, some people drink water w/fresh lemon juice in the morning, maybe some prunes, take a walk, etc. before they start their "eating day." And you have to really be careful about making sure you're eating fiber, natural fiber, lots of it, like fruits w/fiber, prunes, beans, etc. Constipation can be a life-long problem for many, I know it was for me, especially when i had to leave the house early. Recently something happened that got me constipated again, I don't know what it was, maybe started with food poisoning, maybe stress, I don't know. I think what the other poster said was right -- sometimes some nervousness or anxiety gets you in the "gut," and it can clean you out. That's not too bad, but the constipation is the thing. Drink anyway lots of water. Some people have to take a stool softener, or Milk of Magnesia every day. Not that I recommend it, but just keep doing what you know are the natural antidotes for constipation. Cut out the meat for a while, and cheese, see how that helps. Let us know how you're doing, thanks.

Closed Thread