It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
(female)

Natteedee HB User
Infection (anal abscess) after Lateral Sphincterotomy

Hello,

I am hoping someone out there can help me. I had a LIS two weeks ago and after the first week I had my regular check-up. Previous to the check-up everything was feeling as it should, until I started having some green discharge, throbbing pain. I figured my incision site was infected. I went and one of my stitches had healed in the incision so he had to cut it out. He said my body re-acted badly to the stitches and that an infection was starting to form.. he put me on antibiotics and told me to let it drain and come back in two weeks if not better. Well its been only a week and both my antibiotics are done, it felt like it was going away but the last two days has seemed to come back. The bump is back and the throbbing and pain is awful. I am assuming the bump and swelling around the incision site means the infection has formed an abscess. Iam just wondering if anyone had this happen and if so what happened after that? Will he drain it? Do abscesses have to have surgery? Is the process painful or are you under local anesthetic?
Also he said to come back in two weeks if it wasnt healed, and its only been a week but I cant imagine letting it go for another week since im not on antiobiotics anymore. The infection is really painful and I have began having night sweats and chills.

Can anyone give me any insight or info at all?

Last edited by Natteedee; 08-24-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

Nancy07 HB User
Re: Infection (anal abscess) after Lateral Sphincterotomy

I don't know what a sphincteronomy is but I had a sphincteroplasty and a horrible infection developed that was almost impossible to get rid of. The first antibiotic shrank the infection but it wasn't completely gone, it got very large and they put me on another antibiotic but that didn't do anything and finally a very heavy duty antibiotic took two weeks to finally kill it. I was infected for 9 weeks.

This has slowed down my healing. If you can get in to see your doctor asap, I would do it. Ask for a new antibiotic. Keflex and Augmentin didn't work for me, only Avalox killed it. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
(female)

Natteedee HB User

What's a spincterplastomy? What was your infection like?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
(female)

Nancy07 HB User

A sphincteroplasty is where your sphincter muscle is severed and they sew it back together. The infection was a large, hard area all around that side of the muscle.

What's a sphincteronomy?

Closed Thread