It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
(male)

revolutionex HB User
Stringy, infrequent bowel movements and frequent urination!! Help??

For the past year or so, my bowel movements have been more stringy than thick. I buy Fiber One just so I can have a bowel movement, otherwise most of the time I don't have the urge to go. Lately I've been just going to see what will come out and usually its either a few torn-looking chunks or a few slightly narrow pieces about as thick as cigars. I never quite feel completely emptied out, so the defecations I do have aren't very much.

What's worse is right after I go, straining and squeezing, I have very frequent urges to urinate almost every 10 minutes for several hours after. I was fine a week ago, after having Fiber One cereal for the entire week, and I had no problems of frequent urination or straining bowel movements. I don't know if its my body becoming used to the fiber or what.

And this is off topic, but after running out of the cereal, I had a day or two of not having much fiber until I bought the Fiber One bars, and I think because its the chicory root fiber, I wasn't able to go very much, I don't know if there's a difference of the type of fiber in the bars or not.

Was it my body getting used to the amount of fiber every day, that 2 days without it screwed me up again?

I've posted my problem of narrow-shaped bits of stool/being constipated and frequent urination all over the place in questions on numerous different boards, and no one can seem to tell me what's wrong with me.

I've heard everything from Type 1 diabetes to "go talk to your doctor and get a colonoscopy", but none of those tell me what could be wrong, and going to a doctor is not an option for me as I don't have health insurance. I know it could be a myriad of things but I want more answers. Should I change my diet?? I don't want to have to rely on Fiber One or fiber pills for the rest of my life.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?? I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted a couple years ago, never watching fiber intake and I always had bowel movements, but since I turned 20 I have less energy, I have to watch my fiber intake just to have a bowel movement, and make sure there's enough bathroom stops to pee when I go on long trips.

Whats wrong with me??? =/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Stringy, infrequent bowel movements and frequent urination!! Help??

Changing your diet could be a good place to start. Personally, I think it is much better to get fiber from food rather than supplements. And there are different types of fiber (but I think there would not be much difference between the fiber in the cereal versus the bar).

Of course whole grains contain much fiber, but mostly in the form of insoluble fiber. Adding more veggies, fruits and legumes to your diet will boost soluble fiber, which is also needed (and which you would not be getting in the Fiber One products).

You talk about "since I turned 20". So are you in your 20s now?

Old 09-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
(male)

revolutionex HB User
Re: Stringy, infrequent bowel movements and frequent urination!! Help??

I'm 23. Not sure what to do about fiber issues though, because right after I go, I have overactive bladder for several hours after...I don't know what that's about, but that gets pretty bothersome as well. I think my overactive bladder cycles are getting worse. I don't have it all the time, but the other day was absolute hell. I read somewhere that eating more fiber plugs up your system so you don't have to go as much...but I can't just keep downing fiber all the time, once for taking a crap and then right after so I'm not peeing all the time, that'd be ridiculous. So I need more advice =/ this is 2 issues in one so I'm never sure where to post this question, bowel disorders or urology.

Closed Thread