It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

sarahnyc HB User
Constant diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea no answer from doctors!

I am a 22 year old Female experiencing intense abdominal/stomach pain since early July 2009. I am on Synthroid (for my Thyroid) and dexamethasone (to control elevated testosterone levels). I've always experienced heartburn, but if I was careful with my diet and did not eat too late at night, the heartburn was not a major problem.

In July my major symptoms started. One evening I began to feel an intense amount of nausea, as if I were about to vomit but could not. This lasted for a few days. The following day I could not eat or drink and was prescribed Compazine for the nausea. Two days later I was in the ER for dehydration and slowly began eating and drinking, still feeling the nausea. I began taking Oemprazole as well for intense GERD pains that radiated throughout my entire digestive track. The morning after I started experiencing severe bouts of diarrhea. The diarrhea was worst in the morning, and I would keep moving my bowels until there was a clear liquid. After several visits to my doctor, I was prescribed Nexium 2x daily.

I was sent in for an ultrasound of my gallbladder, but the results were normal.

I took the Nexium religiously and right when I began to feel better (exactly a week after the symptoms first began), it was as if the process began itself all over again. It was at this time I saw a GI doctor who sent me in for an endoscopy. The upper endo found a hiatial hernia as well as gastritis in my stomach. I tested negative for H. Pylori and Celiac Disease.

From this point on I restricted my diet to extremely bland foods incorporating plain chicken and extremely lean chopped meat. I cheated two times before the next attack (a chicken/cheese sandwich and nachos when I was feeling a little better).

For a week I was fine, and then once again the symptoms returned. During the second attack the mornings were the worst. I would wake up feeling extremely nauseous, experience intense stomach pains followed by severe diarrhea lasting until the afternoon. I was unable to eat until the evenings where for a breif time I felt fine, and then the stomach pains usually returned shortly before bed.

After this attack again, I was fine for a week, and now I am experiencing my third attack this summer. This time I followed by restricted diet TO A T. No cheating whatsoever. During this attack I switched from the Nexium to Prontonix, and by Monday I was instructed by my GI to stop the Prontonix and switch to Zantac (the GI thought the PPI's were causing the diarrhea in the morning.) I've been on the Zantac for 5 days now, and my morning diarrhea is just as awful. I am still experiencing severe stomach pain (it feels like someone is kicking me in the stomach; the abdominal area is VERY sore), nausea, and a burning, gnawing feeling that is always present in my abdominal area. I've noticed with this attack, my GERD symptoms are not as severe as the first two attacks. Even though my stomach still feels sore, the pain feels as if it is more intense this time lower (around the intestinal area). Every single time I eat I seem to move my bowels.

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in a few days. The GI believes it might possibly be either bacterial, or Chron's. Is it possible this might be a parasite? Should I have further tests done on my gallbladder?

I NEVER feel fine. I always feel sick to my stomach and incredibly uncomfortable. I've had to start short-term disability in order not to lose my part-time job. I am also starting graduate school in two days, and I CAN NOT afford to be sick! I think stress plays an important role in these attacks, and I try to keep myself calm. However, it is difficult to keep calm during an attack knowing I have to go on with my normal daily activities.

Two weeks prior to the initial onset of my symptoms I was treated for what appeared to be a possible Kidney infection. There was blood in my urine and I was sent in for an ultrasound of my Kidney's, but the ultrasound came back normal. The doctor was sure it was not a bladder infection. Can this be any way related?

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
(male)

jhawkins HB User
Re: Constant diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea no answer from doctors!

Sarah,
I too have experienced similar symptoms. They started when I was 16 years old, I am 32 now. I started having heartburn in the evening, then I would have diarrhea in the morning. It has become worse over the years. The diarrhea strikes at any time, morning or night. I have been on a host of medications and had several tests. I have seen the GI doctor and his diagnosis was IBS and his advice was that I would have to learn to live with it. I am a father of two and am getting increasingly frustrated with the fact that I cannot plan trips with the family because I never know when I will have attacks, not to mention it makes my job very hard. I work in a prison and cannot always get to a bathroom, so I stress out about that. It is to the point where I have even contemplated suicide if this is to be my existence. I am healthy otherwise, I eat right, exercise. I just don't understand why medical science can't figure out what is wrong. All I hear is, lets try this and come back in 6 weeks. They don't seem to understand that six weeks is an eternity.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

Bretta668 HB User

I started out having 3 bowel movements - 1 reg; and then diarrhea and I would be fine. Then one day I started going all the time - up to 10 times per day. Had all sorts of tests and the doctor told me to live with it. I started looking on the internet and then was at GNC. Three years ago I started this and was gradually getting better and the last 6 months I am getting my life back to normal. Cook 1/2 c. brown rice in 3 cups water for 90 minutes. Every morning for breakfast I have around 1/4 cup of the rice with Kefir brought in health food departments and around 1/4 cup of Stonyfield yogurt also bought in the health food department. Also 2 Benfiber pills for breakfast and 2 Pro-Biotics Acidophilus - once in the morning and one at night. I was taking Cultrelle and then I found Align and I take 1 pill at noon. Align helped me more than Cultrelle. Sounds like a lot to do but it has really helped me.
You mentioned pain and nausea but I did not have any.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

jacquelinemager HB User

I want to her if some how you are better. I too have the exact symptoms. I continuous feeling sick feeling.......continually doing a bowel movement no matter if its hard soft,runy etc etc shocking pains in the tummy and its been going on for two weeks....and I just want it all to goooooooooo let me know how u are...

Closed Thread