It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
(female)

TriciaR HB User
Urgency after sphincterotomy

Hello,

I'm new to this particular board and see that there are quite a few people who have had this operation. I too, had a long bout with anal fissures and after trying other medical means without success had this operation 5 days ago. My surgeon is a colo-rectal surgeon and comes highly recommended.
He said he only cuts a very very small area and has done many of these. I also had skin tags (rather large ones) removed.

Anyway, post op just a few questions; pain has subsided and I believe was mostly caused by the skin tags. There is very little pain with movements but definite urgency. I believe I would have an accident if a bathroom wasn't readily available. I have not gone back to work yet but have plans this weekend (Labor Day weekend) and am petrified of not having a bathroom nearby. Did anyone have urgency after this operation and am I being too impatient in expecting to have great control already? I'm scared that this could become long term!

Finally, one note, 5 days post, yesterday, I had a sudden huge gush of bleeding; I called the surgeon immediately and he said a suture must have burst. I was panicking but it subsided and I didn't have to go to the ER. The suture he said, was on a large skin tag. I'm adding this in case anyone else has this happen and freaks out like I did.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
(male)

Gondore HB User
Re: Urgency after sphincterotomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaR View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this particular board and see that there are quite a few people who have had this operation. I too, had a long bout with anal fissures and after trying other medical means without success had this operation 5 days ago. My surgeon is a colo-rectal surgeon and comes highly recommended.
He said he only cuts a very very small area and has done many of these. I also had skin tags (rather large ones) removed.

Anyway, post op just a few questions; pain has subsided and I believe was mostly caused by the skin tags. There is very little pain with movements but definite urgency. I believe I would have an accident if a bathroom wasn't readily available. I have not gone back to work yet but have plans this weekend (Labor Day weekend) and am petrified of not having a bathroom nearby. Did anyone have urgency after this operation and am I being too impatient in expecting to have great control already? I'm scared that this could become long term!

Finally, one note, 5 days post, yesterday, I had a sudden huge gush of bleeding; I called the surgeon immediately and he said a suture must have burst. I was panicking but it subsided and I didn't have to go to the ER. The suture he said, was on a large skin tag. I'm adding this in case anyone else has this happen and freaks out like I did.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

I am sorry but I cannot answer your question because I have not had this particuliar surgery yet. However, I am considering this option and was hoping you would be find enough to answer some questions on the procedure.

1. On a scale of 1 to 10 (most painful) how would you rate your pain the day after the surgery?
2. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate your pain before having the surgery?
3. How long did you take off of work for this surgery?

Based on the reading I have done I think your sphincter muscle will tighten up in 1-3 months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
(female)

penny70 HB User
Re: Urgency after sphincterotomy

Hi Tricia,
I have had this operation, 2 years ago now. In my particular case I don't think I had a good outcome. I think I had more control presurgery. My greatest problem is really if I'm very loose. In that event I think, too, I'd have real problems if I were out and about. What seems to be helpful is making sure you have your movements first thing in the morning and then not having to deal with it later in the day. I also have a leaking problem that has not been resolved yet by diet but I keep looking. Doing kegels can help, too. Have they recommended that?
Penny

Closed Thread