It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

Mable08 HB User
6 weeks post hemorrhoidectomy - so far so good

I had a surgery for my chronic anal fissure, one hemorrhoid associated with the fissure and another small hemorrhoid. The procedure was done on 08/24 in my home country in Asia. The doctor is very experienced, and he told me I will recover within a week or two... And that was not the case as I had been reading posts here...

Anyway, here's my recovery story:

I stayed in the hospital for 4 days.

Surgery day:
I had my period on that morning, and my doctor told me that it was ok.... Anyway, I did not wanna wait any more because I have to go back to the states in Septemeber. So I had the surgery anyways, and I almost fainted during the surgery... That was not a good decision...
After the surgery, pains started to hit me. It was intense and unbearable I would say. I had pain killer after the surgery, and laxatives. I did not sleep at all the first night because of the pain.

2nd day:
I would say the pain was still intense the second day. In the morning, the doctor took out some cotton from the anus. I had the first BM around noon because of the strong laxatives the doctor prescribed. It was really bad when the stool was passing, but not too bad afterward.
Pain was not as bad as the first day.

3rd-4th days:
still taking strong laxative and had to have BM several times a day. But pain continued to relieve.

5th day:
The doctor took out the stitches this day, and it hurt so much. Then I went back home, and still needed to lie down for most of the day.

6th day:
Still having pain, especially during BM. I don't know if I had blood in the stool because I was still having my period.

2nd week:
I started to take sitz baths. They were soooo good!! My pain continued to relieve.
But in the middle of the week, I found out that there were still a couple stitches that won't fall off. So I had to go back to the doctor. He took one out, and it hurt a little bit. And he said if the other one did not fall off within 4 days, I had to go back again and have it taken out.
I had blood in my stool after the stitch was taken out. For about two days I think.

3rd week:
I went back to the doctor and had the last stitch taken out. It hurt real bad! But didn't last too long.
I had to take a 12 hour flight, and then another 2 hour flight back to the state this week! It was two weeks and 4 days post surgery. I took enough stool softer (actually, kind of oriental medcine) to make sure I didn't get constipated. The flight was ok - I lay down most of the time. But it started to hurt a lot when I got back to the states.

4th week:
I started work this week, and I had to leave work early because the wound started to hurt in the afternoon. I bled one time after BM, and I called the doctor. He asked me to continue the stool softener for at least another month to make sure that wound will heal.

5th week:
I kept taking stool softener. I worked almost a full day for 3 days. By the end of this week, I had increased pain one morning for no reason. I kept taking sitz baths, and try not to move too much.

6th week:
Much better this week. Still have stinging feeling sometimes. BMs aren't bad. I take a sitz bath right after each BM. BMs are normal, usually 2 times a day. I have to make sure that I have BM before I go to work in the morning. The stool softener absolutely helps.

7th week:
Today is the first day of the 7th week. I think I am 90% recovered. I can push during BMs (I don't want to, but sometimes I really have to). I have stinging feelings at times still, especially after a whole day of work. But not too bad.

I have skin tags. Hopefully they will go away. I eat veggies, brown rice, chicken etc. I don't eat fruit any more, because it makes me gassy... I am eating a lot of walnuts, peacans, and dry apricots - in an oriental view, they help to prevent constipation and can soften the stool. And I think they did, at least for me.

I am still taking sitz baths a couple times a day. and I am still taking stool softener. I guess I will keep taking them till a month away from my last bleeding (that would be 10/16), then I will stop it and eat better.

But so far, I think it was a good hemorrhoidectomy recovery. I am so glad I had the surgery. I am still very anxious when having BMs though....

I will keep you updated. I am looking forward to full recovery!

Last edited by Mable08; 10-04-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
(female)

Mable08 HB User
Re: 6 weeks post hemorrhoidectomy - so far so good

Now it's almost the end of the 7th week. I think I am 95% recovered at this point. I can now walking without thinking about what have been done down there.... I had hard stool this morning, and I was soooo scared that it would bleed again. But it didn't happen.... Thank goodness! But I did feel a little sore after my BM, esp., when I walked..

I also noticed that a lump at one of the wounds is still there. It feels kind of hard. And I have skin tag at another one of the wounds too... About when are they going away? Any input?? I am afraid the lump will cause anual stenosis, will it?
Thanks!

Last edited by Mable08; 10-09-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

hembegone HB User
Re: 6 weeks post hemorrhoidectomy - so far so good

So I was wondering about your lump and skin tag. I'm entering week 4and have some large bumps and I wonder if they really do shrink? Naturally the surgeon says it's swelling. They have also gotten painful and I can't tell if the steroid cream is helping or not. Advice?

Closed Thread