It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

nanadawg HB User
Colonoscopy Prep

I am a type 2 diabetic that is going to have a colonoscopy in a few weeks. I have chosen the osmo prep pills instead of that awful liquid that I can't keep down. There are warnings about kidney damage and renal failure associated with using these pills. Does anyone out there know of any incidents of this occuring after the use of this prep?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
(female)

MMMarie HB User
Re: Colonoscopy Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanadawg View Post
I am a type 2 diabetic that is going to have a colonoscopy in a few weeks. I have chosen the osmo prep pills instead of that awful liquid that I can't keep down. There are warnings about kidney damage and renal failure associated with using these pills. Does anyone out there know of any incidents of this occuring after the use of this prep?
Hi. Curious about the osmo prep pills......I've never heard of them before. I am scheduled for my first colonoscopy in two weeks and have been given instructions re the liquid. I've heard it's nasty stuff. Strange I wasn't given the choice between the pills and the liquid. Do you know the name of the pills, so I can ask my pharmacist about them?

thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

nanadawg HB User

The pills are called Osmo Prep. My colonoscopy is 4 weeks away so I haven't taken them yet. My doctor wanted me to take the golightly but I can't keep it down. So I asked if I could take the pills. My mother had taken them for her test and did just fine and she is 75. He did not offer them to me since I'm a diabetic. I Googled Osmo Prep or colonoscopy prep to find out more info on this drug. It is a total of 32 pills that you have to take at certain intervals. This has to be better than trying to swallow that awful liquid. Good luck to you.

Last edited by nanadawg; 10-26-2009 at 06:12 AM. Reason: misspelled words

Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

You will no doubt need to drink a lot of water in order for the pills to work. I am sure it would be same amount of water as the liquid prep contains.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
You will no doubt need to drink a lot of water in order for the pills to work. I am sure it would be same amount of water as the liquid prep contains.

My prep for Osmoprep pills. You have to take 4 pills every 15 minutes with 8 oz of water 3 times, then I have to take 2 tablets with gingerale(for some reason)(total 14 Osmo pills) then 2 Dulcolax. All this the night berfore. The next morning I have to repeat all starting 5 hours before. Also must drink 16 oz of clear lliquid after done the first 14 tablets, not in the AM. That is still a lot of liquid but at least I like water and you can use applejuice. By the way they are BIG horse pills.

I have never used this prep before and had no idea I would need to so much liquid. In my past ones I used the Fleets Phospho soda and it was a breeze but that is not allowed anymore because of kidney problem in some people. Same warning that is on the pills as I see it. Fleets was really easy and is still on the market but doctors can't prescribe it and there is a warning on it that says not to be used for colonscopy prep. Too bad as it worked well and was so easy.

Closed Thread