It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

Apple6808 HB User
Hemorrhoids and Fissure Surgery

Hello,

I decided to share my story and maybe get some help on this board since no one knows what you're going through unless they're going through the same thing.
To start off, I am a 23 year old female and have had hemorrhoids for as long as I can remember. I found out about my internal hemorrhoids a few years ago (I think I was 17). The doctor gave me some creams and told me that they weren't bad at all and would downsize once I use the cream. I did use the stuff she gave me for a while and stopped when I felt better. Of course, the problem came back not too long after that. This time I decided to keep it to myself and not go see a doctor which was probably the stupidest decision. I have dealt with the pain for a few years. It was on and off depending on my BM. My diet has always been pretty bad and I never looked after what I ate or how much water I had a day which made things much worse. I spotted a little bump on the outside of the anus which started hurting almost with every BM and grew bigger and more painful with time.
I think I've just learned to deal with the pain since it was an awkward situation and did not want to share it or have to explain it to anyone including doctors.
My Gyno suggested that I should definitely go see a doctor because she noticed the size of the external Hemorrhoids getting bigger with every visit. She referred me to a doctor but I never went to see him until the pain got soooo bad. The doctor was very nice and after examining he explained that I had Internal Hemorrhoids, External and a Fissure (I know, it sucks). He went on to tell me that I could try to use creams and change my diet but mentioned that in my case that might not help at all and that I'm going to have to go with the surgery now or later. Of course I chose the first one and have been doing that for the past 2 months now, and no, nothing has changed. I'm still in so much pain to the point that I cant sleep sometimes. I called the doctor's office and scheduled an appointment for next week. The nurse mentioned that they're going to schedule me for surgery that day and that I need to take off from work for about a week to recover.
I have been reading a lot about this subject but most of the stories I read were either about Hemorrhoids or Fissures and almost never a mix of the two (which is my problem).
The Doctor explained that he will need to get rid of all the hemorrhoids an loosen up the muscle.
Please let me know if you had this surgery or know someone who's done it. How was your or their recovery? I mean I know it's going to be bad and painful but how bad is bad?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
(female)

annasplit HB User
Re: Hemorrhoids and Fissure Surgery

Hi - I had surgery for a fissure a week ago. The fissure surgery itself was not bad at all and I had little to no pain, manageable with ibuprofen. From what I have heard, removing hemorrhoids causes significantly more pain. If you are already in constant pain, you should go through with it. Tell him to only remove the hemorrhoids if they are 100% going to interfere with your recovery, and even then only the ones that are definitely in the way. The fissure surgery (LIS) was extremely tolerable. I was out of bed and doing housework within 2 days, and at a football game 3 days later. I had this fissure for almost 17 years and finally it's healing. Hope this helps!

Old 11-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

staceh2144 HB User

I have the exact same problem as you, fissures and hemroids (spelling?) Before they will schedule me for the surgery though, i have to have a colonoscopy done, i was in yesterday for it and they had to abandon it because i got too destressed during the procedure. So i have to go back and get it re-done, Good luck with ur surgery, let me know how you get on.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
(female)

lsharr HB User

Hi, I had the fissure surgery about 20 years ago so don't remember to much about it I don't think it was that bad. But, I am 1 mnth out of hemroid surgery. I went down to San clemente Ca because a doctor down there supposedly had a new procedure that was less painful and recovery is quicker. I have had roids for 20 yrs. lived with it that long until I couldn't stand pain and bleeding any more. Had the surgery, and according to her she had to get aggresive with a couple. I will be frank. They tell you it won't be that bad. This was the worse thing I have ever done. The pain is excruciating. My doc left day after surgery, her sis died. So I was left to fend for myself. I didn't potty for 8 days and was told to take a cleansing drink that I used to clean out for surgery. I got diharrea for a week. It was horrible, I thought I would die of pain. Without my firefighter husband who is not squimish I don't think I could have stood it. I am still in pain. I am now have huge bowel movements every two to three days. And my behind feels like it went through a blender. So, just so you known, and I could be unusual case. But I usually bounce back from surgery really well. But not this one. So if they tell you a week I would expect at least 3 to four. But, everyone is different. Expect the worse. And hopefully you won't go through what I did. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User

from what i've read on this board, people who have hemorrhoid surgery and LIS surgery for fissures, they say the hemorrhoid surgery is a lot more painful to recover from than LIS surgery. i had LIS surgery and have been pain free (while having bms) since the first day post surgery. i am so glad i got it done.

search around this board and you will find people who have had both procedures done at the same time

Old 01-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
(male)

Stlaw HB User

Hello every one, my name is lawrence. I really need some help here on what to do. I had haemorhiodectomy, precisely a month now. My first week of post op was a hell of pain, with little bm, 2nd week pain reduced drastically and bm improved.
But the 3rd week, after i resumed work, every thing concerning my bm turned the opposite. I couldnt pass out like i use to the 2nd week. I felt something blocking the area, and also noticed my anus was very swollen. I was really terrified, thinking the h'roid came back, my anus also became very tight,and also hav some skin popin out like external hems, making it difficult for stool to come out. Pls is this normal or is there a problem.
Im in the 4th week now, still no improvement, and constipation sets in. Every now and then i feel terribly constipated and also bloated.
The bloating is so terrible, even after any bm, i feel my tommy very tight and full.
Im really freaking out, pls hav any one experienced this?? What can i do.

Closed Thread