It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User
epiploic appendagitis

I just had this diagnoses on a CT scan. I am having a tremendous amount of pain. Does anyone have any insight into this condition? They arent doing anything beside pain meds.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
(male)

sid123 HB User
Re: epiploic appendagitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam78 View Post
I just had this diagnoses on a CT scan. I am having a tremendous amount of pain. Does anyone have any insight into this condition? They arent doing anything beside pain meds.

Sam,

I had epiploic appendagitis 4 years ago - and yes, it's very painful.

Apart from pain killers there is nothing more that can be done as it's a self correcting condition. Officially doctors say it clears after 7 days - but in my case took much longer

I was in hospital for 10 days and then it took me 3 months of rest at home to fully recover. Additionally I developed a back problem as a result of my core stomach muscles wasting away from all the bed rest.

But I don't think that's the norm so don't want to concern you. Most people I think are fine after a couple of weeks

Suggestions/Advice:

- Rest and be patient. I was so keen to 'get back to normal' as quickly as possible that I had set backs and took me much longer. So be patient and listen to your body.
- Find distractions to cope with pain (read or watch something funny or inspirational. But not too funny as it hurts when you laugh!)
- Drink plenty of water and eat lots of fibre. I was on morphine for a few days in hospital and then a pain killer called Tramadol (which contains morphine) for a few weeks after for several weeks after. All of which constipates you and is not very pleasant. So high fibre, lots of water and very little processes food helps
- Start walking - after about 10 days once the pain has reduced, start walking daily. I could only walk a minute or two before getting out of breath when i came out of hospital. but built up slowly and gently

After 3-4 days the pain starts to subside...... so hope you're feeling better soon

Sid

P.S. There is such little info about this on the web - and when there is it's written in technical medical language. So I've set up a Google search under "epiploic appendagitis" and every time i get an alert i comment and give my thoughts! It's the info I wish was out there when i got the condition..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

thank you so much for your advice. That helps greatly. Thankfully they only kept me over night. They did give me lots of pain meds and get me well hydrated again. I feel much better today than I have the past few days so hopefully I turned the corner. My pain first started last wednesday so it has been almost a week. I am a bit concerned about the constipation as I didnt stool yesterday and havent so far today so I am probably going to take something. I dont want that to flare it up either. Thanks again for the information.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
(female)

robinb5895 HB User

Sam,
I too was diagnosed with EA several times within the past 10 months. It is extremely painful!!! This has been a recurring thing for me for the past year and the next time i do have a flare up, I will have surgery to remove the twisted appendages. Its actually kind of nice to hear that other people out there have suffered from this condition. I have tried to find other people through msg boards and such so they can share there experiences with me. This condition has basically been unheard of in the past and just recently has been diagnosed in more patients. Please keep in touch and let me know how your doing!!..

Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
(female)

robinb5895 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid123 View Post
Sam,

I had epiploic appendagitis 4 years ago - and yes, it's very painful.

Apart from pain killers there is nothing more that can be done as it's a self correcting condition. Officially doctors say it clears after 7 days - but in my case took much longer

I was in hospital for 10 days and then it took me 3 months of rest at home to fully recover. Additionally I developed a back problem as a result of my core stomach muscles wasting away from all the bed rest.

But I don't think that's the norm so don't want to concern you. Most people I think are fine after a couple of weeks

Suggestions/Advice:

- Rest and be patient. I was so keen to 'get back to normal' as quickly as possible that I had set backs and took me much longer. So be patient and listen to your body.
- Find distractions to cope with pain (read or watch something funny or inspirational. But not too funny as it hurts when you laugh!)
- Drink plenty of water and eat lots of fibre. I was on morphine for a few days in hospital and then a pain killer called Tramadol (which contains morphine) for a few weeks after for several weeks after. All of which constipates you and is not very pleasant. So high fibre, lots of water and very little processes food helps
- Start walking - after about 10 days once the pain has reduced, start walking daily. I could only walk a minute or two before getting out of breath when i came out of hospital. but built up slowly and gently

After 3-4 days the pain starts to subside...... so hope you're feeling better soon

Sid

P.S. There is such little info about this on the web - and when there is it's written in technical medical language. So I've set up a Google search under "epiploic appendagitis" and every time i get an alert i comment and give my thoughts! It's the info I wish was out there when i got the condition..
Sid,
Has it ever came back in the past 4 years?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
(male)

sid123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb5895 View Post
Sid,
Has it ever came back in the past 4 years?
no, never come back....

Closed Thread