It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

clare0102 HB User
Bowel symptoms making my life a misery, please can somebody help?

My sympoms began almost two years ago with just severe constipation at first. Now I am able to go to the toilet first thing in the morning if can sit down and relax for at leat half an hour. Then it is very urgent and I have pains in my lower abdomen as I feel it coming, usually at the side.
My stools are large and light in colour, looks like there'e lots of ruffage/bits in?? (Often red bits but don't think it's blood) It always feels as if I need to do much more but I can't.
I'm completely constipated for the rest of the time, except sometimes small pebble like stools. I am uncontrolably gassy, particularly in the afternoon/eve. Am constantly bloated. I get pains in my lower abdomen and lots of very loud gurgling from my stomach throughout the day.
I have been to the doc and all blood tests are clear. Have been seeing a nutritionist for a few months and a stool sample said I was very low in good bacteria and high in bad bacteria so nutritionist gave me uva ursi dandelion tincture to kill bad bacteria (it's herbal) and then been taking probiotics to put good bacteria back in. I cut out ALL wheat, dairy, sugar (incl caffeine and alcohol) for 12 weeks and no effect at all! I still don't eat wheat and dairy but have the occasional treat now. All symptoms are awful if I drink alot of alcohol or eat anything processed or unhealthy but are still all there when i live like a saint and eat really healthyly.
Please can somebody help me? This is making my life a complete misery, I feel like I've tried everythin and don't know what else to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
(male)

GodHand HB User
Re: Bowel symptoms making my life a misery, please can somebody help?

If the "red dots" are blood, your symptoms are pretty indicative of IBD (Colitis primarily). Perhaps a stool sample for C-diff is in order. Make an appointment for a Gastroenterologist and go from there. Most likely they'll want to do a colonoscopy to see what's going on.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
(female)

clare0102 HB User

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to book to see a Gastroenterologist asap.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
(female)

maddieg1947 HB User

I have had this problem for some years and it is a big problem if I have to get up and go out without sitting down until I have been to the loo. I am in considerable pain and discomfort for the rest of the day. I keep trying to go but have the same problem it comes out as just a few little balls. It has been diagnosed as a rectocele (prolapsed bowel) I also have a prolapse of the uterus and bladder too and am having a defacating MRI scan on Thursday to decide what treatment I need. I have put up with this problem for years being told my brain is sending the wrong signal to my bowel and that I do not really want to go, so go away and put it out of my mind. This time I insisted on seeing another consultant, and he said there was a raw area when he examined my back passage which he thinks in my bowel rubbing against my other organs as it is trying to drop down which would back up what I am saying.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
(female)

clare0102 HB User

It is really comforting to hear that there are other people out there with the same problems as me, I just assumed that I was completely alone in this. Were you diagnosed with this after having a colonoscopy?
I really don't want to have one but it is looking like there isn't really any other option. What does it mean to have a prolapsed bowel? can it be treated?
Thank you so much for the reply.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
(female)

maddieg1947 HB User

I had a hemorrhoidectomy few years ago and was still having problems sometime after that. The consultant said he could not see why I was still having such a problem and was about to discharge me. I had come across the condition called Rectocele on the internet and suggested that to him, when he examined me he agreed that I did have a small one and suggested that I had an xray called a defecating proctogramme (The most embarrasing thing I have endured not painful just embarassing) After this was done he said that I did have the condition but did not think it was bad enough to operate on, and my brain was sending the wrong signal to my bowel making me think I wanted to go to the loo. I got the impression that he thought I was imagining it, by this time I was so fed up with trying to get something done I gave up. That was 2 years ago and have since developed a bulge protuding from the vagina which my GP said was a proplapsed uterus. She just said these things happen when you get older and I had given birth to 2 large babies. I was 60 at the time, and she just dismissed it. I was having so many problems going to the loo just the same as you I went to see another GP at the practice a year later and told her I wanted somthing done. She sent me to see a gynacologist and she fitted me with a ring type thing that was supposed to hold the uterus in place. By the next morning it was uncomfortable I got a mirror and had a look up and it was visible so I pulled it out. I have since had 2 larger ones fitted and they also did the same so I took them out. Before she fitted the last one she suggested a hysterectomy which I was not keen on, so we decided to try the ring again, she also referred me to a co rectal surgeon, a different one from the previous one. He seems much more sympathetic to my plight and I am having the MRI scan on Thursday.

Like you if I sat long enough in the morning I usually went to the loo OK, but if I had to go out then I suffered all day and did not go until the next morning.

If you search the internet for Recocele you will find plenty of artices about the condition.
Good Luck Maddie

Last edited by maddieg1947; 12-15-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
(female)

beachwalk0 HB User

I am having the same problems but with back pain. The back pain goes away wants I use the bathroom. But, the bloating is just miserable. The only time I don't experience all of the symptoms is if I don't eat anything. I can't really do that and live, so, there has to be another option. My GI doctor gave me some IBS medication to take. We will see what that does.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
(female)

tiggerdavenport HB User

Oh wow. These sound really close to symptoms that I have had in the past. The odd thing is I went to the doctor then I was diagnosed as the pain was coming from an ovarian cyst. I completely disagree with the diagnosis and have been personally trying to search my symptoms to see what else it might be.
I have had some major problems with some of the same things for a long time. My relief has come from a combination of 3 things. FiberBlend in the morning. (Any type you like, or even try doing a colon cleanse) taken with a cup of Prune Juice. Long walks. And, at night I take a combination of Dr. Schultz pill ( I can't remember the name of it, I will have to look at it later) and an herbal cleanse tea ( I will also get you the recipe for this).
Cleans out like nothing else. You will spend a long time on the toilet still, I promise but it will not be doing nothing.
Now, here is what I was diagnosed with when it was more concentrated on these symptoms with another doctor. 'Diverticulitis' I do not know if I spelled that right. But, basically infections in the bowels.
Could you do me a huge favor and list all of your symptoms and where you feel the pain? I want to see if mine is really the same as what you are feeling.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
(female)

clare0102 HB User

Hiya, thanks for your reply.
I had considered in the past it was something to do with my ovaries as that is often where the pain is before I have a bowel movement but there are so many other bowel symptoms, I don't see how it could be anything related to the ovaries. No doctor has suggested it either, periods etc are all fine.
Ok so symptoms are:
Constipation and bloating (I steer clear of wheat based products as this makes it worse). Large, mis-shapen, foul stool in the morning - only of I have a long time to sit and relax, still this is not every morning. If I do have bowel movement in the morning I can feel it coming and have pains in lower right/left sides (sort of where my ovaries are i think).
Always a feeling of bowel movement being incomplete and still very bloated afterwards.
If I don't manage to do this in the morning am very uncomfortable for the rest of the day, extremely flatulent and bloated.
I have usually extreme flatulence in afternoon/ eveing and very loud gurgling noises from stomach.
I think that's it... generally try not to eat foods which make it worse, dairy gives me stabbing pains in my lower stomach now as I cut it out for so long, sometimes sugary things do this too. Can't eat wheat at all and sugary things don't help...that doesn't leave much!
Thank you so much for your advice re fibre blend in the morning/prune juice am going to try everything you said. Have been running regularly but doesn't really make any difference, maybe long walks will be more effective as they're more relaxing. I had colonic irrigation once, is that what you meant by colonic cleansing? The irrigation didn't really make any diff when I was really constipated, was very dissapointing.
I'm going to have a look into Diverculitis now as havn't heard of that before.
What do you think, do these symotoms sound like yours?
x x x

Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
(female)

Chocolicious HB User

You may have a partial blockage in the bowel. Have you got any further with this? Have you a diagnosis? Hope all is ok.

Last edited by Chocolicious; 01-07-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
(female)

tiggerdavenport HB User

Not really sounding like the same problem I am having right now but definetly a problem that I had in the past.
Steer way clear of white flour. A sluggish system is incredibly common nowadays. Do you know how to make a homemade glue? Mostly white flour and water. And when you throw stomach acid in the mixture you make for some really slow moving gunk.
No. I meant go to the health food store and ask for Colon Cleanse. It is a fiberblend/herbal remedy that is specifically blended for cleaning out the colon. It will go in, loosen things up and help you clear them out. Be sure as you are doing this you are drinking prune juice and lots of water. This will push this fiber through and do a good thorough cleanse.
Do you know what is in the walls of your colon? There are little tiny holes that are 'designed' to absorb the nutrients from you food. Now, think of your colon as a pipe drain... when things start getting caked in there it first aligns on the walls. This blocks your bodies ability to get nutrients from the food you eat. A lot of your bodies other symptoms sound like your body's warning call saying 'help! I am malnurished.'
Fiberblend in the morning (or colon cleanse), prune juice and lots of water. Throughout the day try to get moving (hopefully you don't have a desk job) and drink lots of water. Do not eat white flour, sugar or ANY ARTIFICIAL SUGARS! At night take an herbal cleanse tea (which I have recently learned you can buy already made up at the health food store, if you can't let me know i will get you the recipe for mine) and, again, water. Water is very very important. I know it is hard by try to drink a gallon a day! Also take your walks at night.
This is the first major step. After you do this for a couple weeks you will need to start changing some other things in your diet so you can replenish your body's nutritions.
This program completely solved my problem when I had a problem of that sort. But, there is something different going on now. The pain is off and on, no telltale signs and no association with bowel movements or certain foods. Just hurts. Some newly developed symptoms include sore breasts, low energy and cramps. I am really fairly certain now mine are something hormonal.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
(female)

clare0102 HB User

Oh my god thank you so so much. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds on a nutritionist and that there is the best advice I've ever had!
Right, on monday morning I am heading straight to the health food shop and am going to do exactly what you said.
Am a student teacher so am on my feet a lot which is good but think stress and anxt adds to my probs alot but am working on this too.
I really hope your problems sort themselves out. Wish there was some advice I could give you! Keep on with it and don't let it get you down - easy to say I know but this blatently makes it much worse.
I've given up recently with living like a saint and not drinking or eating sugary things. Will definitly steer way clear now, and what you said about wheat makes perfect sense.Thank you again, will let you know how it goes...
x x x x

Closed Thread