It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

brightblueeyes HB User
Thumbs up sphincterotomy yesterday.. fissures.. internal hemmeroids *good experience*

I'm a 26 year old female. I had a sphincterotomy on Dec. 18th 2009, because I have chronic constipation, and an anal fissure as a result, for the last four years. I read all the stories that I could about people who have had the surgery already and I was scared to death the day of the surgery.

The surgery went well, I was put out with general anesthesia; my surgeon did also mention to my family that they also found out that I have a lot of really bad internal hemorrhoids that I will probably have to have removed one day.

Immediately after the surgery, I went to walgreens, got one of my two pain pill prescriptions filled, then walked around a whole bunch of stores; even the mall! and I felt just great. I have not had a bowel movement yet, I am eating very, very lightly so that I dont have to go to the bathroom soon because i am scared that it will be excruciating.

And here I am, one day after surgery, and I still feel great. I was on the go for almost twelve hours straight after my surgery, and the worst feeling that I get is this dull soreness when I sit down sometimes.

So don't believe all the horror stories you read, because I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain, yet I haven't really felt any pain at all; and I doubt that it is mere luck. I've had an anal fissure for four years. I'm used to that pain, this is actually relief compared to all of that.

Your surgery and recovery are all up to you, don't get scared like I did. I actually wish I had done this four years ago when my constipation and fissure came about.

Last edited by brightblueeyes; 12-19-2009 at 12:08 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to brightblueeyes For This Useful Post:
boatnerj (09-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
(male)

eman1968 HB User
Re: sphincterotomy yesterday.. fissures.. internal hemmeroids *good experience*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightblueeyes View Post
I'm a 26 year old female. I had a sphincterotomy on Dec. 18th 2009, because I have chronic constipation, and an anal fissure as a result, for the last four years. I read all the stories that I could about people who have had the surgery already and I was scared to death the day of the surgery.

The surgery went well, I was put out with general anesthesia; my surgeon did also mention to my family that they also found out that I have a lot of really bad internal hemorrhoids that I will probably have to have removed one day.

Immediately after the surgery, I went to walgreens, got one of my two pain pill prescriptions filled, then walked around a whole bunch of stores; even the mall! and I felt just great. I have not had a bowel movement yet, I am eating very, very lightly so that I dont have to go to the bathroom soon because i am scared that it will be excruciating.

And here I am, one day after surgery, and I still feel great. I was on the go for almost twelve hours straight after my surgery, and the worst feeling that I get is this dull soreness when I sit down sometimes.

So don't believe all the horror stories you read, because I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain, yet I haven't really felt any pain at all; and I doubt that it is mere luck. I've had an anal fissure for four years. I'm used to that pain, this is actually relief compared to all of that.

Your surgery and recovery are all up to you, don't get scared like I did. I actually wish I had done this four years ago when my constipation and fissure came about.

Did you also have a fissurectomy or just the sphincterotomy? It sounds like you just had the sphincterotomy. Did your doctor tell you why he was not performing a fissurectomy as well? I'm 4 weeks post-op this coming Tuesday (I had both procedures) and I'm just now starting to feel a little better during BM.

e

Old 12-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
(female)

brightblueeyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1968 View Post
Did you also have a fissurectomy or just the sphincterotomy? It sounds like you just had the sphincterotomy. Did your doctor tell you why he was not performing a fissurectomy as well? I'm 4 weeks post-op this coming Tuesday (I had both procedures) and I'm just now starting to feel a little better during BM.

e
Yes, just a sphincterotomy. And I never asked why she wasn't also doing a fissurectomy, she just said for me this would probably be my best bet. She didn't even cut off the skin pile either.

Did you experience pain right afterwards? Its been almost two days since mine, and i only get these occasional uncomfortable times where it feels weird, but no pain. and im scared of even having a movement, thats why im barely eating, and if i do, its mush and easy to process.

Last edited by brightblueeyes; 12-20-2009 at 02:06 AM.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
(male)

eman1968 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightblueeyes View Post
Yes, just a sphincterotomy. And I never asked why she wasn't also doing a fissurectomy, she just said for me this would probably be my best bet. She didn't even cut off the skin pile either.

Did you experience pain right afterwards? Its been almost two days since mine, and i only get these occasional uncomfortable times where it feels weird, but no pain. and im scared of even having a movement, thats why im barely eating, and if i do, its mush and easy to process.

Oh yeah. I was in a lot of pain afterwards. I would say my post-op pain lasted at least a few days. It wasn't until about day 8 or 9 when I finally started feeling better on a regular basis. As for BM's, the first few were definitely pretty scary. But remember, I had a fissurectomy as well, which makes a huge differencce in terms of pain. From what I understand, those people who just had LIS had a much quicker recovery with much less pain.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

brightblueeyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1968 View Post
Oh yeah. I was in a lot of pain afterwards. I would say my post-op pain lasted at least a few days. It wasn't until about day 8 or 9 when I finally started feeling better on a regular basis. As for BM's, the first few were definitely pretty scary. But remember, I had a fissurectomy as well, which makes a huge differencce in terms of pain. From what I understand, those people who just had LIS had a much quicker recovery with much less pain.
well, its sunday now. i had my surgery friday morning and i feel better than ever. i can even bend over now and pick stuff up off the ground. still havent had a bowel movement, but i ate real food last night, finally, bean soup and mashed potatoes today.. so i know im gonna need to soon, but still dont wanna go through that pain. most people ive heard, say the pain with movements drastically went down after a week.. i just cant wait. its the only thing im bothered by now... just wondering how awful it will be.

and not to give tmi, but i cant even feel my ******** because it is that swollen still yet. i cant even tell where my stitches are, but i would assume its the side that itches and pulls a little sometimes..

Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
(male)

nomorefissure HB Usernomorefissure HB Usernomorefissure HB Usernomorefissure HB User
4 days after LIS (sphincterotomy)

hey everyone,

i had my LIS (sphincterotomy) 4 days ago. here's my situation: i never had debilitating fissure pain - but it was a nuissance EVERY time I had a BM - it would hurt and spasm afterwards - but it wasn't as bad as some people who post on this site - it never needed narcotics or missing work. so i decided to get the LIS (no fissurectomy done) - it was done by the best colorectal surgeon in town.

So now 4 days after surgery, the pain with every BM is still VERY painful - an intense burning that last about 10-15 minutes, and eases up when I sit in a warm bath. But it's not the fissure pain - it's the pain from the sphincterotomy site - on the left side. I take motrin, which helps.

is this normal? I see some people on here say the pain was "gone" the next day...but that's not true for me!! How long will it take for this pain to go away?

Anyone else who had severe pain from the sphincterotomy site (NOT from the fissure site)? How long did it last?

thank you for any advice/experiences you can share!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
(male)

eman1968 HB User
Re: 4 days after LIS (sphincterotomy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorefissure View Post
hey everyone,

i had my LIS (sphincterotomy) 4 days ago. here's my situation: i never had debilitating fissure pain - but it was a nuissance EVERY time I had a BM - it would hurt and spasm afterwards - but it wasn't as bad as some people who post on this site - it never needed narcotics or missing work. so i decided to get the LIS (no fissurectomy done) - it was done by the best colorectal surgeon in town.

So now 4 days after surgery, the pain with every BM is still VERY painful - an intense burning that last about 10-15 minutes, and eases up when I sit in a warm bath. But it's not the fissure pain - it's the pain from the sphincterotomy site - on the left side. I take motrin, which helps.

is this normal? I see some people on here say the pain was "gone" the next day...but that's not true for me!! How long will it take for this pain to go away?

Anyone else who had severe pain from the sphincterotomy site (NOT from the fissure site)? How long did it last?

Hmm . . . . interesting. I can't say that I ever had any pain from the sphincterotomy site. My fissure (and fissurectomy) was at around 4:00. The sphincterotomy was opposite the fissure site (so at around 10:00). It never hurt. Then again, the fissure site hurt unbelievably, so maybe that pain covered up any pain I was feeling from the sphincterotomy.

Tuesday will be 4 weeks for me, and it still hurts a great deal during BMs. It kind of feels like it did before the surgery -- as if my sphincter is really tight and I don't have enough room to pass the stool. I really hope this gets better soon. I mean, 4 weeks is nothing when you consider that I was dealing with this for over 4 years, but it would be nice to finally put this situation behind me (no pun intended).

e

Old 12-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
(male)

nomorefissure HB Usernomorefissure HB Usernomorefissure HB Usernomorefissure HB User
update - day 6 after sphincterotomy

well...FINALLY, my pain after BMs is getting MUCH better. it's now just a small burning at the sphincterotomy site that lasts about 5 minutes. it's still uncomforable but MUCH better than before. this is good, i expect by 2 weeks I'll be completely back to normal.

also, there's been absolutely NO INCONTINENCE (Thank God). I've been keeping my stools soft with benefiber and colace.

Just wanted to update everyone. If you've had this procedure done, please post on here how your healing went!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
(male)

fissure2009 HB User
Re: 4 days after LIS (sphincterotomy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorefissure View Post
hey everyone,

Old 12-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
(male)

fissure2009 HB User

I had a lateral sphincterotomy on Nov. 11th, 2009. Yes, my surgery went well, and the first few days were great....but the pain from the surgrey site is now starting to feel much better at 6 weeks. My doctor, and 2 friends that had the surgery, had similar issues with pain on the left side where they were cut. All I can tell you is that I do feel better, even though I've had to wait this long, as I put up with the fissure pain for over a year...and it was horrible. I am happy I had the surgery, and I know that things can only get better from here. After my 3rd week after surgery, my doc wrote a scrip for the nitro cream to continue to relax the area....I guess I will have to use it for at least 2 more weeks. Make sure you keep the stools soft, I've been using Miralax as the doctor ordered 2 weeks ago...and it works much better than stool softners. I hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User

i just got scheduled for LIS surgery on the 29th for some "superficial cuts" in my rectum caused by childbirth. i've been dealing with them for over 2 years now and hope the recovery goes smoothly. i too have never been in as much pain as some people here have described, so i hope i am not put in more pain than i am now as a result of the surgery.

either way i am glad i am finally doing something about this and hope to have a more normal life in 2010.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
(female)

brightblueeyes HB User

JUST AN UPDATE!!

Okay, it's been a little over a week since my LIS surgery, and I didn't have my first bowel movement until day 7 after my surgery. I only went a little bit, I was severely constipated.. but it didnt hurt. then day 8 i went a little more, it didnt hurt at all either. and now today, i fully went, and i feel amazing. This surgery has been a lifesaver. They said my stitches would dissolve, and I figured they would have by now, but tonight in the shower i was feeling around and i can feel something *****ly sticking out of my ********, so i would guess its a stitch.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that all the horror stories almost made me cancel my surgery...

my story has been way different than everyone elses. and i have a severe fissure and several internal hemorrhoids...

and i owe my colo rectal surgeon my life for doing this. i feel so normal now. i am amazed and so grateful!!!!

good luck to everyone going through fissure/hemorrhoid pain. i understand forsure!

Get ahold of me if anyone has any questions. My email is on my profile.

<3

Old 12-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User

so glad to hear you are recovering really well.

my LIS surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning. i am so nervous and hope i have an easy recovery.

i am very confident in my surgeon though. he has been practicing for around 35 years and i know he has done this surgery several times.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
(male)

12 days update!!

Well it's been 12 days since my LIS and I'm doing much better.

Still some soreness on the left side where the cut was made but definitely no severe pain with BMs. There is a little soreness with each BM but I think that's normal as it has not even been 2 full weeks yet.

Let's hope the healing continues, right now, im 90%.

BTW, NO Incontinence, bleeding or drainage (thank God).

Please continue to update on here if you've had the LIS surgery!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
(male)

13 days update...

Still having some soreness and pain after BMs...anyone else after LIS have pain after BMs for 2 weeks?

It's pretty minor, and it seems to be worst if there's any "stretching" of the anal sphincter (a larger BM) even though it's soft.

Anyone else experience similar?

Brightblueeyes - is your pain completely gone, or is there still some soreness?

Thanks!!

Closed Thread