It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

pattyeinstein1 HB User
bowel -resection and one yr later new diverticulitis

In Nov of 08 I had a successful bowel resection of the sigmoud colon and over the weekend ended up in ER resulting in a 3 day hospital stay for a new attack of new diverticulous found on cat scan. I had no problems, never constipated, eat very well.

I am so depressed that this has happened, Just got home from hospital.
Has anyone experienced this or heard of this happening?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: bowel -resection and one yr later new diverticulitis

Sorry to hear that, patty. When I had my one-year follow-up colonoscopy, my GI said it was very common for people to have developed new diverticuli after just one year. But yours had become infected to the point of an attack? Yikes, that's fast!

There does seem to be a genetic component in addition to the general low-fiber western diet. It could be that other parts of your colon were weakened already at the time of your resection, just not to the point of developing diverticuli.

Even before my resection (at age 44), I never would have predicted that sort of problem. While my diet was far from ideal (too much refined sugar and I had been overweight all my life), it did include more fiber than average, I was very regular and had had only been constipated a handful of times in my adult life, I ate more fruits and veggies than average. But I ended up with a huge abscess. I then found out it did run through the family (my grandmother's uncle even died of what was then called an infected bowel). I really stepped up efforts after the resection and so far I have been lucky.

I don't know what the general medical recommendation would be. Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
(male)

birdmfc HB User

I am sorry to hear that you have recurring diverticulitis. That is one reason that I haven't had the surgery yet. I have done a lot of research and most everything that I have read says only 10-15% have it come back. I know that you are still better off than you where before, and maybe this little bit won't be like you where before. Has your doctor recommended surgery again?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

pattyeinstein1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmfc View Post
I am sorry to hear that you have recurring diverticulitis. That is one reason that I haven't had the surgery yet. I have done a lot of research and most everything that I have read says only 10-15% have it come back. I know that you are still better off than you where before, and maybe this little bit won't be like you where before. Has your doctor recommended surgery again?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
(female)

pattyeinstein1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmfc View Post
No I will have another colonscopy in 6 weeks to see where I am at. Apparently 2nd surgery is more involved. I am really hoping that this will all subside and will go away but now I am back to no seeds, no nuts. Oh well it was nice for a yr not to have that restriction. Small price to pay.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
(female)

barb050 HB User

i hadsurgery in nov 09...never felt great after
just had colonoscopy and there is definitly
a small openibg they had to use a pediactric scope
going for barium test...
i still cant eat after my surgery have been sore by the incision site,,,,
this is soo depressing......

Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
(female)

Libby9843 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyeinstein1 View Post
In Nov of 08 I had a successful bowel resection of the sigmoud colon and over the weekend ended up in ER resulting in a 3 day hospital stay for a new attack of new diverticulous found on cat scan. I had no problems, never constipated, eat very well.

I am so depressed that this has happened, Just got home from hospital.
Has anyone experienced this or heard of this happening?
Thanks
I had a colon resection in March 2008 as a result of diverticulitis and a perforation during a colonoscopy. Two years later, I now have a recurrence of diverticulitis. I agree it is depressing and am at a loss as to how to handle this as well. It's very discouraging considering the length of time it took for recovery. I anticipate a cat scan next week and hope to resolve this episode with antibiotics. I too eat very healthy and take Align daily (per my doc). I hope your situation gets better and would love to hear more of others who suffer repeat bouts with this condition.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
(female)

Libby9843 HB User

I too have a recurrence of diverticulitis two years following a colon resection.

My surgery was a result of a colon perforation from a routine colonoscopy, however, I later learned I also had diverticulitis. I tried desparately to avoid surgery and spent a week in the hospital on IV antibiotics with NO food and docs telling me I might die if the infection got out of hand but I continued to refuse the surgery. Infections continued regularly and I was put on home health care, a port was inserted and I had to take antibiotic infusions regularly. After a year, I finally conceded and had the resection which took six months to recover from. Now I am in total disbelief that two years later, I have an infection because the symptoms are all the same.

I anticipate a cat scan next week and hope to resolve this episode with antibiotics. I am an extremely healthy and fit 65 yr. old grandmother, very disciplined with food, exercise regularly and do not find any reason for this recurrence. It's very discouraging so I understand how you feel. Maybe someone out there has a suggestion but at least it is comforting to know I'm not alone with this problem. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
(female)

barb050 HB User

i had catscan/barium enema(ughhh) ultrasound...all have been clean..
but i am still in pain..
went to surgeon and she said i should go for pain management
that to me is like sorry ...here maybe they will help you..
she also said other then anything else she would have to operate again and had no clue what was wrong...
this is depressing to me because i also have breast mets to liver stage lV ..that is one reason 4 my pet/cat wanted to rule that out....

so still no closer to curing the pain..
what does diverticulitis feel like??thanks

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Oh dear, I'm scheduling surgery next week. I had no idea the same problem could recur after surgery. I, too, eat well and am never constipated. I do, however, have a redundant colon which the doc thinks contributes to this problem.

All the best,

Jen

Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb050 View Post
what does diverticulitis feel like??thanks
For me, it is always very sharp pains and they are mostly lower left and some over my pubic bone. The pains literally "take me to my knees" and are always accompanied by a fever (due to the infection).

Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
(female)

pattyeinstein1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Oh dear, I'm scheduling surgery next week. I had no idea the same problem could recur after surgery. I, too, eat well and am never constipated. I do, however, have a redundant colon which the doc thinks contributes to this problem.

All the best,

Jen
Its very very uncommon to come back Jen, try not to focus on that. My doc told me I was the only one in 12 yrs! Good luck with your surgery

Old 03-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
(female)

barb050 HB User

i just called ny gastr dr. to see if he would do a ballon
to the stricture i have
no go...he does not think it is safe
still have pain right side

went to orig surgeon she said try pain management
i dont believe in it
has anyone done this
no matter what i eat i always have pain...

Last edited by barb050; 03-16-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
(female)

bostonandparis HB User

the only thing i know is that a sigmoid resection might not remove all the diverticulosis as pockets can be all over the large intestine, not just the sigmoid section. i know because i asked m doctor and was told diverticulosis would still be there after sigmoid surgery. that is why, i suspect, you could still have a diverticulitis attack after your surgery.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
(female)

pattyeinstein1 HB User

I only had the diverticulitis in the sigmoid colon which is what was removed. After the surgery I had zero pockets ( some people do have it spread all over)
The re-occurence is back in the "new" sigmoid colon and it is new pockets that formed since the surgery. A colonoscopy shows that it is limited and hopefully I will just live with it.

Closed Thread