It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
(female)

sue2U HB User
ventral mesh rectopexy

Hi to you all,I am new today on here and very worried and would be so grateful if someone could offer me any advice?I am due to have a ventral mesh rectopexy op in 9 days time and so scared,ive had crohns for 14yrs and my bowel is blocked due to prolapse also my bladder has dropped into the bowel,ive been told if all is well i will be able to go home the next day but the original hospital that i was going to go to under the same consultant said i would be in for 4-7 days!! i am so confused and worried,pleasse can anyone give me any help or advice please?thank you x

Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
(female)

Loulou3 HB User
Re: ventral mesh rectopexy

Hi

I have just come across your thread and just wondering if you have had your op? If so how has your recovery been?

I am due to have mine in Aug and trying to get as much as information as possible

Loulou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

rm212 HB User

Have either of you had the laparoscoptic ventral mesh op for prolapse yet? I am considering it too, at the Oxford place. Lou, you were due to have yours in August, is that correct?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
(female)

rm212 HB User

To those who've had/are considering the laparoscopic ventral mesh rectopexy operation, this might be of interest:

Another lady considering this op told me it was featured on channel 4 on Friday night, the 28th Jan, in "Embarrassing bodies" featuring a woman with external prolapse -see the actual operation itself on the 4OD website at 22 mins 38 seconds in. I won't post a link as I believe it is against the rules of this board. Though if you are very squeamish it's probably not advisible to watch it as it might make you more nervous about the surgery.

I have always wondered about the thinkness of the mesh, cos of what they are stitching it to! - I found pictures of it but there was no scale context in the pictures. Here you see the surgeon holding the mesh - it is quite thick. Interesting.

The lady on the programe seems to have had incontinence but no obstrcuted defecation. The surgeon who you see performing the op on this programme recently did the op on a member of another forum who had this to say when I mailed him about his symptoms pre and post op. He gives a link to the page of the surgeon in question.

"Hi,

I'm actually male which makes it even more rare, Iím 25 years old.

Symptoms before the operation were, excessive flatulence, incomplete evacuation and constipation although stools were soft. It would take ridiculous amount of time to be able to have bowel movement. The doctor got me to try all sorts of stool softeners and laxatives at first. But nothing made any difference. They referred me to the gastroenterologist expecting them to find nothing wrong but for my piece of mind.

On my discharge summary it says:

Presenting Complaint/Reason for Admission:
6 year history of obstructive defecations and pelvic floor prolapse.
Proctogram showed deep recto-anal intussusception.
Enteroecle.

Principal diagnosis
Recto-anal intussuception (almost grade 5) and pelvic floor collapse

Interventions/Procedures and other treatment:
Laproscopic ventral mesh rectoplexy.

I had this operation in Poole near where I live on the NHS with,

Link removed -surgeon was a Mr Andrew Clarke

I'm really grateful for the operation, it has cured most of my problems except the excessive flatulence although it is better. Sometimes I still get the feeling I need to go to the toilet but canít, this seems to be getting better though. I'm unable to go into much detail about the operation as Iím not the most intelligent person and I don't really fully understand it."

Hope this is useful for some of you.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
(female)

wanttopoo HB Userwanttopoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac2912 View Post
To those who've had/are considering the laparoscopic ventral mesh rectopexy operation, this might be of interest:

Another lady considering this op told me it was featured on channel 4 on Friday night, the 28th Jan, in "Embarrassing bodies" featuring a woman with external prolapse -see the actual operation itself on the 4OD website at 22 mins 38 seconds in. I won't post a link as I believe it is against the rules of this board. Though if you are very squeamish it's probably not advisible to watch it as it might make you more nervous about the surgery.

I have always wondered about the thinkness of the mesh, cos of what they are stitching it to! - I found pictures of it but there was no scale context in the pictures. Here you see the surgeon holding the mesh - it is quite thick. Interesting.

The lady on the programe seems to have had incontinence but no obstrcuted defecation. The surgeon who you see performing the op on this programme recently did the op on a member of another forum who had this to say when I mailed him about his symptoms pre and post op. He gives a link to the page of the surgeon in question.

"Hi,

I'm actually male which makes it even more rare, Iím 25 years old.

Symptoms before the operation were, excessive flatulence, incomplete evacuation and constipation although stools were soft. It would take ridiculous amount of time to be able to have bowel movement. The doctor got me to try all sorts of stool softeners and laxatives at first. But nothing made any difference. They referred me to the gastroenterologist expecting them to find nothing wrong but for my piece of mind.

On my discharge summary it says:

Presenting Complaint/Reason for Admission:
6 year history of obstructive defecations and pelvic floor prolapse.
Proctogram showed deep recto-anal intussusception.
Enteroecle.

Principal diagnosis
Recto-anal intussuception (almost grade 5) and pelvic floor collapse

Interventions/Procedures and other treatment:
Laproscopic ventral mesh rectoplexy.

I had this operation in Poole near where I live on the NHS with,

Link removed -surgeon was a Mr Andrew Clarke

I'm really grateful for the operation, it has cured most of my problems except the excessive flatulence although it is better. Sometimes I still get the feeling I need to go to the toilet but canít, this seems to be getting better though. I'm unable to go into much detail about the operation as Iím not the most intelligent person and I don't really fully understand it."

Hope this is useful for some of you.
I have had this op recently. 12th February 2011 with Mr. Dixon in Bristol. Am so pleased with the results.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
(female)

-carol- HB User

Hi.

I presume you have had your operation by now, I have just had a laparascopic ventral mesh rectopexy, had my op on the 21st September, had the bowel pulled up from the vagina and rectum also had the vagina pulled up, they also found adhesions from a previous scar and tidied them up as well.The op was supposed to take about 2 hours, but mine took nearly 4.I was wondering how you were doing and what your recovery was like, what have you experienced during your recovery. I was told I would have terrible Diahroea for about 14 days, but was very constipated for the first 3 days, in hospital for 4 days, I am very sore and uncomfortable and was sent home with movicol to keep bowels loose, also I have no control over my bowels at the moment, but hope it will improve in time. I was cut in my belly button and had stiches which were removed on friday, three other cuts which have disolveable stitches. Dont know what to expect during recovery, still have a full feeling in the rectum, but hope that will also improve.pain and discomfort in the lower back and down the front of the abdomin
Any one who has had this op and can tell me anything about their recovery would be appreciated.

Last edited by -carol-; 10-04-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
(female)

Hi there, where did you have your operation. I had mine in February this year. I would say it has taken 6 months for things to settle. My bowels stopped working altogether straight after the op, that was pretty scarey. I was in hospital for approx. 3 days and yes I was a bit blocked in the beginning. Keep up with the movicol, even now I have to take it. How many sachets are you taking each day? If you want to know any more info. ask away.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
(female)

rm212 HB User

I am very interested to hear from you again wanttopoo. How much constipation ods do you get now post op and how much has it improved since pre op can i ask?

Sorry carol as rmac2912 i am the lady you have been texting so i have not had my op yet!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #9
(female)

Hi there, I still have to take movicol and if I use that regularly i do not get constipated at all. Before the op I was using enemas, movicol, suppositories and towards the end rectal irrigation unit. I would say I am improved 90%. Any more info, just ask.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #10
(female)

rm212 HB User

Thanks again wanttopoo, so glad the op helped you.

Questions:

1st apologies if I ever asked these before.

1) So sorry for the personal nature of this one but are you getting any problems with er...pain with intimacy now you have a mesh?

2) Are you managed to empty your bowels out in one go or are you still having problems with incomplete emptying?

Thanks.

Carol, hope you are doing better by now.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
(female)

Theboundangel HB User

I had a LVMR done when I was 27 due to prolapse causing obstructed defaction as well as a great deal of bleeding. Im just over a year on now an not doing so badly. There is still prolapse tissue present but nowhere near the extent of the 'golfball' sensation I had previously. Im actually going to see if some of the excess tissue can be banded off as soon as I can be referred back to the right clinic.
The op itself was a breeze. I had Dr Dixon in Bristol who is very experienced. I was out of hospital the next day and relatively well healed up in about 3 weeks. the difference was noticable instantly - the golfball gone!

As I understand intersusceptions arent very treatable by non surgical means. Have you spoke to your consultant abotu how they intend to proceed? I didnt actually realise age could be an issue as it wasnt mentioned at all by my doc as a possible problem with me only being 27.

Closed Thread