It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
(female)

gramber HB User
week out of having abdominal/lapriscopic assist surgery

Hi - I had a rectopexy, to fix an internal rectal prolapse with intussusception. This has worked, to the extent that it has corrected the prolapse ( they think!) but I still have no feeling to go. I have had tests to check muscles and nerves, which involved a very unpleasant internal scan and other very unpleasant tests. I actually didn't get any detailed information about the results.

My consultant is at the Churchill in Oxford, and id one of the best in his field-he has been absolutely brilliant, but being the NHS, I do feel I never have enough time. I think that sometimes consultants do not think about the huge impact of these types of surgery if they do not work. There is no doubt that we are lucky to have procedures in place, but this is no quick fix, and from speaking to other people, there is often more than one problem. I wonder if consultants ever look at these kinds of forums to gain a different insight on how people are affected before and after surgery, and how devastating some of these problems can be.

I agree that the Starr procedure can be very effective for certain problems, but I haven't read a lot of positive comments about it. It seems that faecal incontinence can be a real problem. I have seen so many comments on forums that say "Do not have this procedure done, it has ruined my life". This obviously makes me wonder if I would be doing more damage. My consultant's analogy re rectopexy vs starr was "if your trousers are too long you would pull them up, before you chop the bottoms off"! I think I am just very scared that it would cause more problems for me than it would solve.

I have also heard something about an implant for people with nerve damage, which I am sure is one of my problems, that can stimulate the feeling of needing to empty the bowel. Has anyone heard of/experienced this?

Last edited by Administrator; 02-26-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
(male)

idkwia HB Useridkwia HB User
Re: rectal intussusception surgery

Dear Gramber
I am very interested in what you had to say. You must have had a laparascopic ventral mesh rectopexy if you had it done at the Churchill in Oxford, is that right? Perhaps your consultant was Mr Ian Lindsay or one of his colleagues. I have met Mr Lindsay but decided to have exactly the same procedure done with an associate of his, Mr A Dixon, who is based in Bristol.

I know what you mean about not having enough time with these doctors. I am a private patient and I can assure you that you don't get any more time as compared to NHS. I have found that it is a good idea to prepare your questions in advance and write them down so you remember them and don't let him finish until you have asked your questions.

I went to Mr Dixon because he does the procedure you had and he also does STARR in equal amounts so I thought he would decide on the most appropriate operation for me.

I should tell you that Mr Dixon told me that it can take about 8-9 weeks after the op before you can see the full results.

Was my op successful? Good question. I had it done on 21/8/09. Before the op I would feel like I had a golf ball stuck in my rectum for 50% of the time. That sensation has gone. However, before the op I would also feel nauseous for much of the time and this symptom remains although to be fair I was told that the op might not affect this. As far as going to the loo is concerned this hasn't really changed. It still seems a bit of a fuss. I was able to go every day before and whilst this continued after the op just recently I have had not been going as much. I now get a lot of stomach pain which I didn't have before the op. I agree that this is all so difficult. I have done research and discovered that science does not know why people get certain symptoms when everything looks fine anatomically.

I would like to ask you about the tests you had done. I had a test where they tested my urge to go; I distinctly remember it as I was amazed how they could increase the urge at will. This proved to me that my urge was working properly. In reality I do get an urge to go but it is not as strong as it was on the test I had nor as strong as it used to be. This tells me that for some reason faeces are not getting into the right place when they should be. Did you have this urge test done? You would know if you did.
Mr Dixon now wants to remove 3ft of my colon however I have insisted on having more tests done as I need more evidence that this will help. In the meantime I am seeking the opinion of another surgeon.

I think it is important to tell the surgeons if the op was unsuccessful because they do record all of their results and of course use these as evidence for other people.

Hope to hear from you again.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-26-2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
(female)

gramber HB User

Hi idkwa Yes I did have a laparoscopic mesh rectopexy.
With regards to the urge test I had tests where they inserted a probe into my rectum, and tested it at various points, and also took an internal scan. Very unpleasant. I'd be interested to know the outcome of your second opinion. It's good to be able to share info like this, as it's so difficult to talk about to family and friends. Hearing about other peoples experiences, and getting some good advice has been invaluable to me. Best of luck - let me know how things go.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-26-2010 at 06:39 AM.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
(male)

idkwia HB Useridkwia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramber View Post
Hi idkwa Yes I did have a laparoscopic mesh rectopexy.
With regards to the urge test I had tests where they inserted a probe into my rectum, and tested it at various points, and also took an internal scan. Very unpleasant. I'd be interested to know the outcome of your second opinion. It's good to be able to share info like this, as it's so difficult to talk about to family and friends. Hearing about other peoples experiences, and getting some good advice has been invaluable to me. Best of luck - let me know how things go.
Hi Gramber
Thanks for your reply.
You asked about my second opinion. Well he told me that he does not think another operation would help me. He has since done another colonoscopy and has not changed his mind. So I now have 2 eminent surgeons, one says that I should have 3ft of my colon removed and the other says that surgery wouldn't help. What on earth is one supposed to do? I am probably going to get a 3rd opinion to see if he agrees with one of the other two.
In the meantime, may I ask where you had your various tests done? Do you know what the internal scan was called? This is very important to me as I would like to gain further evidence about my own condition so I hope you will reply please.
By the way, how is your urge now, has it improved since you last posted about it?
Look forward to hearing from you.

The Following User Says Thank You to idkwia For This Useful Post:
susanpplby (11-11-2011)
Closed Thread