It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

Crimeofpassion HB User
Exclamation Chronic Anal Fissure - Healed after surgery, but still have pain all the time? Help!

To make a very long story short:

- Diagnosed with a fissure after a bout of constipation well over a year ago. Many doctors couldn't see it, for some reason, and insisted I didn't have one.
- Tried Diltiazem cream.
- Tried nitroglycerine cream.
- Finally decided to have LIS surgery after the creams helped but didn't heal me.
- Had LIS surgery last May, which did NOT go smoothly. I couldn't pee afterward, had to have a catheter put in for 2 days, and was in immense pain. I also tore my sutures slightly because the laxative they gave me made me more sick than I've EVER been in my entire life, and caused me to have a hard BM.
- Ever since the LIS surgery I have continued to have pain, which includes burning during and after going, and a constant pinchy type pain/sensation. I also have constant painless muscle spasms, though they're more like muscle twitches. And lastly, I get a veeery achey feeling in the spot the LIS incision was made, which is on the opposite side my fissure is on. It's easy to tell the differences in the pain.
- Many times it felt like I retore, only to have the doctor tell me she couldn't see a fissure. She did tell me my muscle tone was still very high, which the LIS was supposed to fix. She eventually did an exam under anesthesia, just to check for a fistula. She didn't see a fistula or a fissure. Shortly after the exam I felt like I retore again and even spotted some blood on my stool for the first time in a long time, but again, she couldn't see one during the next exam.
- Doctor continued to let me use nitro cream, since it provides relief. Said I am simply slow to heal because I have diseases - vulvodynia and interstitial cystitis - that also affect that general area.
- Was given oral valium to use as suppositories, which isn't going well. They either won't stay in, won't dissolve, or cause discomfort because the little pills actually have rather sharp edges.

I'm feeling incredibly frustrated and depressed. What's going on? Has anyone experienced something like this? Being told their fissure is healed, but having all the symptoms?

We don't have health insurance right now, as my father lost his job, so I can't see a doctor. I had two somewhat harder (although they were really just well-formed) BM's yesterday and today, and had a big spike in pain and discomfort today. I was so upset I laid down and slept for about 4 hours. My first thought is that I have, of course, retorn, but this has happened 983742397 times in the past, and every time I run to see my doctor she says it isn't there. But it completely feels like it is!

I'm supposed to study abroad next Fall, so... This is just horrible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User
Re: Chronic Anal Fissure - Healed after surgery, but still have pain all the time? He

sounds like you need to go to a different doctor. did a colon and rectal surgeon perform your surgery?

if so, you need to get a different one.

I had LIS surgery in late december and i feel 98% back to normal now. i realize everyone heals differently, but it sounds like something went wrong with your surgery.

i would take some stool softeners and metamucil or miralax till you can get to a doc

Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
(female)

Crimeofpassion HB User
Re: Chronic Anal Fissure - Healed after surgery, but still have pain all the time? He

Yes, a colorectal surgeon did the LIS. I've seen a total of three different colorectal surgeons, as well as a general surgeon early on when I first got the fissure, and a gastroenterologist.

I know that some people have the LIS surgery done twice... But I get such horrible aching from my incision site that I can't imagine going through all that again. The surgery (and catheter) also REALLY bothered my bladder, because I already have interstitial cystitis (a bladder disease, if you're not familiar).

Last edited by Crimeofpassion; 02-27-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I had fissure repair in 99 and the only problem I have is I'm weaker on that side when I try to push. I also take stool softners EVERYDAY, I have IBS, fibromyalgia, take pain and other meds that can constipate me. RIght now I'm dealing w/ an external hemmoroid that I haven't had in years! Go figure! I didn't see you mention stool softners. Sure hope you're on something like that. Plus anytime I haven't been in a day or two I take my miralax and you can get it OTC and buy the store brand its cheaper.

Maybe going abroad is what you need. BETTER DRS??? Sounds like you haven't found the right one. This is crazy. Something has got to be going on. YOU can feel it. Keep a food, bowel, pain, everything diary too. Hope you get help soon. ((((HUGS)))

CAthy

Old 02-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User

yep, i've heard of IC and have even suspected that i may have it. whenever i get stressed out my bladder hurts and aches. i also deal with a lot of bladder infections. i have had at least one or two a year every year for 6 years now.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
(female)

Crimeofpassion HB User

I neglected to mention I do take a dose of Miralax every day.

Yeah, I just have no clue what to do. There aren't many more colorectal surgeons in the area I can see...

Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

Crimeofpassion HB User

No one has ever experienced anything like this?

Closed Thread