It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
(female)

AswtLILsheila HB User
Question Life after Spincteroplasty???

Is there normal life after Sphincteroplasty?
Ok people, I'm swallowing my pride and humility with this one. Please help with any part of this dilema that you possibly can!
Currently, I am 8 months post op. I’m still having trouble maintaining a leak free. For a normal day, I still worry constantly if I’ve had a little accident in my pants. Most days are ok as long as I keep outings SHORT. If I take my teen daughters shopping for a couple of hours then I have to worry that I’ll have a leaky smelling sometimes visible accident. Walking, exercising or pulling/pushing something physically seems to put more pressure and creates accidents. If I should happen to get a stomach bug and have the slightest loss bowels, then I have NO sense that it’s time to “run” to the bathroom and end up with a huge mess. My CR Dr suggest that I need to continue kegels (which I continue to do) and high fiber (which I also do) but so far I have not found a happy medium.
How does one attempt to work an 8 hr shift when they have these kinds of issues? If I can’t have an outing for 2 hrs or more, how will I ever work an 8 hr shift again? I wonder if anyone has ever been able to receive disability benefits with this type of dilemma. Can you just imagine the explications on the paper work when applying?!
As stated in another thread by someone looking into having this surgery, sex is a nightmare. Even now after all this time, we still have to put down a towel to keep from soiling the sheets. Hubby is pretty understanding about this but the problem has really worked a number on me. I don’t feel desirable and the entire time of intimacy, I find myself worrying about the mess that will more than likely occur therefore the event is more of a dread than a pleasure. Before the problems with the leakage started, we had a healthy active physical relationship. Now, two times a month is something to be excited about …. For hubby. A very close friend suggested trying a “butt plug”. I have never been one for anal play, don’t know if this would work or if I am even open to the idea much. Heck, if I had been one for anal play, I think I could understand having these sphincter issues! As a last resort I may have to give the plug idea a try. Has anyone ever tried this or something else to help with the leakage due to pressure from sexual encounters?
I haven’t been back to the CR surgeon since my November (5 months post op). She was basically telling me the same thing each time; kegels, fiber, water and that my muscles are intact and the surgery was a success. Therefore, I haven’t been back. No need to pay her to tell me the same thing when I know that I’m still having issues. Right now, it’s just trial and error and research via the net.
It’s great to have this forum to follow and communicate with others. It’s my hope that some of the CR professionals will follow this board too because I feel there are a lot of issues mentioned here that never get mentioned in the doctor’s office.
I look forward to seeing your responses.
Sheila

Last edited by AswtLILsheila; 03-01-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Update

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
(female)

penny70 HB User
Re: Life after Spincteroplasty???

Hi Sheila,
Just a quick response- I have to walk the dog and off to work. It doesn't sound like your operation was a success to me. I'd go for a second opinion. I've found that training yourself to go first thing in the morning helps. That way there's less to think about later. I carry wipes with me everywhere. If it doesn't seem like everything came out, that's a real problem of mine, I use a small enema bottle to get the rest out, leaving less to leak out. I find my most leaking 2 hours after having a movement. I would suggest a gastroenterologist to help you. They really do have a plan for people like us. They suggest immodium to slow things down so you don't go during the day. I'm going to give it another try. I thought I might be allergic but I'm not sure. They were the ones who told me about Align and metamucil. Good luck to you. Hope other chime in with more help for you!
Penny

Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

luckycharms HB User

I think you need to see a different doctor and one being a colorectal surgeon! I have been to 2 gastro doctors, and 3 colorectal surgeons before I settled on #2. I am still a mess, but he has been ordering tests left and right and I just know he will help me make the right decision to help me have a better quality of life. My problem is the opposite of yours though, my puborectalis muscle is damaged and stays permanently closed not allowing the normal passage of feces! It is a nightmare! I am considering having a surgery that will leave me with a bag!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
(female)

AswtLILsheila HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms View Post
I think you need to see a different doctor and one being a colorectal surgeon! I have been to 2 gastro doctors, and 3 colorectal surgeons before I settled on #2. I am still a mess, but he has been ordering tests left and right and I just know he will help me make the right decision to help me have a better quality of life. My problem is the opposite of yours though, my puborectalis muscle is damaged and stays permanently closed not allowing the normal passage of feces! It is a nightmare! I am considering having a surgery that will leave me with a bag!
Bless your heart. That must make you feel bloated all the time. I've never heard of that problem before. There are very few CR surgeons around. i had to travel 3 hrs one way to see the one that ended up doing the surgery. I'm experimenting with fiber in my diet and hope that i'll get to a place that will work for day to day activity.
Please keep the ideas coming. i need help!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

mommof3 HB User

Hi all, Sheila I know what your going through I would use to try and go to the bathroom and take a imodium or 2 if I knew we were going to be intimate before I had the surgery.I still am not totally confident that I won't leak when were having sex but it hasn't happened yet anyway.My problem is with the wiping after a bowel movement even after I have completed and wiped several times I can go back and there is more on the tissue.I'm at witts end and don't know where to turn.I've been to 5 different colorectal dr's and none of them have given me a straight answer.It's almost like there is a overhang of skin on the outside of the anus that traps the stool when I go and is hard to clean.Anyone else have the same problem with the overhang of skin? Why can't they just fix it? Lori

Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
(female)

PeggyAW HB User

Has anyone ever heard of Dr. James A. Lohan from Charleston, West Virginia? It looks like I am going to need Sphincteroplasty surgery and he is the only doctor that I can find that is in network. If not, do any of you know any free sites online that give information about him such as how many sphincteroplasty surgeries he has done and his success rate?
I have heard that if this type of surgery is not done properly you can be damaged for life? Is this true or is it a rather simple surgery?
Thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
(female)

AswtLILsheila HB User

This is NOT a simple surgery and most definately can change your life forever. Ask lots of questions of your doctor and others medical professionals. I cant think of anything that will fix the problems that this surgery does. If there was anything else, I'd try it.
Good luck, keep us informed.
As for your doc, have you googled him?
Sincerely, Sheila

Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
(female)

PeggyAW HB User

Yes, I have goggled him and found he had a 4 out of 4 rating; however, he was rated by only 4 people. The one thing that interested me is when I called to set up an appointment, she told me he is in his office only 6 days per month and the other days he is in surgery.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
(female)

krisg0017 HB User

Hey guys...I'm new to this!
I just turned 25 & had my first child in November. I finally decided I wasn't going to deal with my problem anymore in the new year.
I had sphinteroplasty surgery 9 days ago & the recovery has been awful! I felt like I was dying after I had my first BM. I guess I just need some reassurance in all of this. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
(female)

PeggyAW HB User

I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain. I will be having this type of surgery in the near future. I wish I had something I could tell you. Hopefully others on this site who have already gone through the surgery will have some good advice to give you. I know from what I have read you need to be very careful with your diet so that your bowel movements are as easy as possible. I have heard the first week is bad. Hang in there. I will be praying for you.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
(female)

AswtLILsheila HB User

The pain from the surgery does get better. Some of what you need to do for your health and quicker healing is keep the area CLEAN so that infection is less likely to occur and dont let yourself get constipated. Hopefully you have someone to help you that can help with the cleaning your wound and take it easy as much as you can. Sit with pressure on one side or the other but shift often to help keep the blood flow more even.
Come back and give us updates from time to time. These message boards have been a God send for me.
Good luck!!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
(female)

PeggyAW HB User

I forgot to tell you one piece of advice that may help you. My sister in law had a fistula. She adviced me that after I have my surgery that I should take a pain pill at least one hour before getting out of bed because once you get out of bed it is usually soon that you will have a bowel movement. If you take the pain pill early giving it time to take it's effect will help with the pain when you have a bowel movement. She also suggested mineral oils which will aid in softening your bowel movement. God bless you.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
(female)

PeggyAW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisg0017 View Post
Hey guys...I'm new to this!
I just turned 25 & had my first child in November. I finally decided I wasn't going to deal with my problem anymore in the new year.
I had sphinteroplasty surgery 9 days ago & the recovery has been awful! I felt like I was dying after I had my first BM. I guess I just need some reassurance in all of this. Thanks!
Who is your surgeon, if you don't mind sharing? Did you stay in the hospital or was it day surgery? Also, did they start you on antibiotics prior to surgery? I have heard that some doctors start you on antibiotics prior to surgery. Also, did they give you anything for pain? I know I have heard that sitz baths are good and also using a hand held shower will help in keeping you clean. Also, as I wrote you earlier if they did give you something for pain take it at least one hour prior to having a bowel movement and that should help with the pain. I have heard that bowel movements after surgery are extremely painful. I dread this so much. Again, God Bless YOU!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
(female)

AswtLILsheila HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyAW View Post
Who is your surgeon, if you don't mind sharing? Did you stay in the hospital or was it day surgery? Also, did they start you on antibiotics prior to surgery? I have heard that some doctors start you on antibiotics prior to surgery. Also, did they give you anything for pain? I know I have heard that sitz baths are good and also using a hand held shower will help in keeping you clean. Also, as I wrote you earlier if they did give you something for pain take it at least one hour prior to having a bowel movement and that should help with the pain. I have heard that bowel movements after surgery are extremely painful. I dread this so much. Again, God Bless YOU!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers.
I have never heard of anyone having this surgery as out patient. this is a major. when i had mine done 8.5 months ago, i was in the hospital for 4 nigths with lots of great pain meds. when i came home i was on strong pain meds for quite a while and also was on a stool softener as well as doing sitz baths and taking preventative antibiotics. it took about 12 weeks before i was kinda ok.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
(female)

PeggyAW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AswtLILsheila View Post
I have never heard of anyone having this surgery as out patient. this is a major. when i had mine done 8.5 months ago, i was in the hospital for 4 nigths with lots of great pain meds. when i came home i was on strong pain meds for quite a while and also was on a stool softener as well as doing sitz baths and taking preventative antibiotics. it took about 12 weeks before i was kinda ok.
Is a sphincteroplasty the only surgery you had? I know some people have to have several surgeries. Did they put you on antibiotics prior to surgery as well as after? Also, how are you doing today? Also, any advice you can give, I would so much appreciate. Please tell me everything I need to know. I anticipate surgery hopefully the beginning of May. I am set up for an ultrasound and lab work on April 28th.

Closed Thread