It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
(female)

trmfott HB User
Question Colonoscopy prep will cause a flare-up

I have a recurring pain in the same spot on my left lower abdomen. My doctor says I should have a colonoscopy and I want to have one (not really!) but the prep for it -- the laxatives, taking meds with no solid food Ė will definitely cause a flare-up of pain and the only thing that soothes it is Pepto Bismol, which I canít take because of red dye #2 because it will affect the test. The pain is pretty bad and goes off and on for days. Thatís WITH Pepto Bismol. The docs/nurses donít seem to know or care what to do about that.

So my question is, is there anything over the counter that can soothe my colon while I prep that doesnít have red dye #2? Iíve tried slippery elm and that used to work but it just seems to aggravate the problem now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Colonoscopy prep will cause a flare-up

Are you SURE it will be painful . . . or are you speculating. With the fasting before the prep, maybe pain would not occur.

There are various preps . . . you could google and talk with your doctor about an alternative that might be better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
(female)

trmfott HB User

Yes, I'm SURE it would be painful because I have taken my meds on an empty stomach with disastrous results. It doesn't matter how much liquid I drink either. And some drugs will cause a flare up even WITH solid food. Recently I've had to cross beans off my list for the same reason so how can a laxative NOT cause a flare-up? These are situations I go out of my way to avoid.

I just want something that will ease the pain so I can get through the test.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I don't agree that the prep will definitely cause pain. What medications are you concerned about ?

I do a lot of posting about colonoscopy. This is a procedure that conjures up all kinds of fears, and the anticipation is by far, the worst part of the whole thing. I can't tell you how many folks have come back to report how right that is!

I would go ahead with the colonoscopy, and not avoid it because of your perceived pain fear...It is a routine procedure for people with all kinds of digestive problems, and I honestly have never heard of one person who could not handle the prep because of pain. The prep is designed for use for colonoscopy, rather than a regular laxative.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Closed Thread