It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
(male)

btown93 HB User
Almost passed out after diarrhea attack

Today, I had to stand for a picture at school. I had a sudden diarrhea attack that came out of nowhere. My stomach hurt incredibly (nothing unusual with a diarrhea attack) but then things got worse... I became very lightheaded and peoples voices around me became muffled. My ears began ringing loudly and my face went numb. I was able to make it to the bathroom without passing out, but boy was I close. Why did this happen? I was trying to hold it in until after the picture was taken. Did my body go into some sort of shock since I was holding it in so much? I have no past history of passing out and I am in good health. Any explanations would be very welcome!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
(female)

Indianmist HB UserIndianmist HB User
Re: Almost passed out after diarrhea attack

My question to you would be: Did you eat anything at all that morning? Also had you been standing in the same place for a long period of time without moving around much?

I ask these questions because I used to suffer from something similar in my teens. For some reason I couldn't stand for long periods of time without feeling violently ill and feeling as though I wanted to pass out.

One mistake I would make, was going to school without eating breakfast first. Another was when I stood, I would stand with my knees locked and didn't move around much to keep blood circulating.

Once I figured those two issues out, I stopped having those episodes.

Last edited by Indianmist; 03-10-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
(male)

btown93 HB User

I had breakfast (a bowl of some whole grain cereal, as always). I was standing around for like 5-7 minutes for a group picture and I wasn't moving much. I was also pretty anxious/nervous for this competition I had later in the day. I have noticed that I often get diarrhea when I'm nervous, pretty inconvenient side-effect! So maybe a variety of these factors (nervousness, locked knees, needing to go to the bathroom really badly) made my body freak out, so to speak. I haven't quite felt the same since it happened yesterday... pretty tired and worn out, like I'm sick, but no runny nose, fever, or chills etc.

Oh, and I'm also on an acne medication (ampicillin) and I've noticed I've had more diarrhea attacks since I started taking it. Needless to say, I'm going to stop taking that now.

Last edited by btown93; 03-11-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
(male)

Wezcoast HB User

Ampicillin is a penicillin based antibiotic if I remember right and nearly all of them will upset your digestive tract a good bit. I'm not sure what it is about severe intestinal irritation that causes dizziness , but they are linked for sure. Maybe some issue with sudden changes in blood pressure, not sure. My teenage nephew uses that Proactive crap they always advertise and it works really well for him . If you haven't tried it, maybe worth a shot. I personally stay clear of antibiotics unless I just HAVE to take them for a severe infection etc.

Last edited by Wezcoast; 03-19-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Closed Thread