It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

lillyrose04 HB User
Newly diagnosed and worried

Anyone dealing with diverticulitis or diverticulosis...I just had an attack and thought I was going to die...they thought I had kidney stone and was being treated for that I also had UTI...when I went to see my doctor after nine hour ER stay she did CATSCAN and that is when they found out I had diverticulitis and put me on Flagyl and Cipro and it is making me so sick but at least the pain has stoped.
Haven't really talked to my doctor since and she wants to see me in April. I have always had stomach problems, GERD, Hiatal Hernia and I am over weight...I have had colonoscopy about 4yrs. ago and was told I had some diverticulosis and adhesions and told to eat more fiber but the fiber caused me more problems than helped...I don't get constipated but the opposite... no one ever told me it would get this bad.
Just trying to find out more about this problem and who best than to hear it from those that have it also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed and worried

Uuugh, Cipro makes me feel dizzy and nauseous!!!

On the issue of fiber, if you were taking a supplement, perhaps it might work better to attempt to get it from food - particularly veggies, fruits and legumes rather than whole grains and bran. Eating yogurt regularly might help also. And attempt to avoid refined foods as much as possible.

Have you attempting adjusting your diet to deal with the GERD/Hiatal Hernia issues?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
(female)

lillyrose04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg View Post
Uuugh, Cipro makes me feel dizzy and nauseous!!!

On the issue of fiber, if you were taking a supplement, perhaps it might work better to attempt to get it from food - particularly veggies, fruits and legumes rather than whole grains and bran. Eating yogurt regularly might help also. And attempt to avoid refined foods as much as possible.

Have you attempting adjusting your diet to deal with the GERD/Hiatal Hernia issues?
Thanks for the information.
I eat veggies and fruit but I was eating fiber cereal, I hear Special K is alright or Rice Krispys. The supplement is what made me feel sick and bloated so I stoped it.
I do watch my diet now but need to eat smaller amounts.
I did have my Gall bladder removed and that has helped the GERD.
You are right about refined foods, makes a difference.
I noticed that dairy probucts and spicy foods bothered me the most and when I eat meat or a strarch I feel bloated.
Having to go to Gastro doctor to find out what all is going on...I woke up last night with pain in my left side and back and I have been doing everything they wanted me to do even lost 10 lbs. all I know I am not feeling well.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
(female)

Rowanglen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyrose04 View Post
Anyone dealing with diverticulitis or diverticulosis...I just had an attack and thought I was going to die...they thought I had kidney stone and was being treated for that I also had UTI...when I went to see my doctor after nine hour ER stay she did CATSCAN and that is when they found out I had diverticulitis and put me on Flagyl and Cipro and it is making me so sick but at least the pain has stoped.
Haven't really talked to my doctor since and she wants to see me in April. I have always had stomach problems, GERD, Hiatal Hernia and I am over weight...I have had colonoscopy about 4yrs. ago and was told I had some diverticulosis and adhesions and told to eat more fiber but the fiber caused me more problems than helped...I don't get constipated but the opposite... no one ever told me it would get this bad.
Just trying to find out more about this problem and who best than to hear it from those that have it also.
Hi Lilly,

I am sorry to hear of your pain. My situation is similar to yours. In June I had an emergency admittance to the hospital, I thought it was a kidney stone too, but it was a severe bowel obstruction. They kept me six days, liquid diet and the dreaded NG tube, then released me and I saw a GI the next day. They could not do surgery as I am on Plavix for a heart attack last year.
He has been treating me as if I had Crohn's but had a colonoscopy yesterday which showed I have severe Diverticulosis in the sigmoid and descending colon and mile Diverticulosis in the ascending and tranverse colon. They also took a biopsy, which I won't find out about until next week.
I have been scanning this forum reading about resections, and whether I would be better off with one. I haven't spoken to my GI since the diagnosis, as he was already performing another procedure on patient. It was like an assembly line in that place.

So like you- I floating in space right now, in pain and wondering what is coming next. I am on a mega dose of Pentasa, and also a probiotic. The Pentasa complicates things because I am also on Plavix and a low dose aspirin, the bruising is terrible, I look like I have been in a car accident. Just tying my sneakers bruised up my hand.I teach and am suppose to be going back to school in a few weeks. Until I talk to my Dr., I can't see how that is possible.
Have you lost a lot of weight? I have lost 20lbs since the bowel obstruction, and continue to lose about 2-3 lbs a week , not on purpose.
I will hang here with you and try to learn from other posters, and I wish you healing and good luck.
Rowan

Closed Thread