It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
(male)

east30s HB User
Painful hemmoroids

Hi...IM a 48 yr old active male...long distance runner, workout...thin......10 days ago i developed hemmoroids.....and the pain only really goes away when i lie horizontal and go to sleep.......i have stabbing/ripping pain in my anus when i sit/stand, etc.and the pain feels like it goes deep inside....if i go down stairs its like my anus is being ripped open...same when i try to sit or stand......i talk to people about this and they blow it off....seems like many have mild hemmoroids and dont get my pain....today went to doctor and he did a digital exam and IT KILLED ME....i was screaming.....he said all he saw was a pea sized hemmoroid and my pain shouldnt be that great...THAT REALLY UPSET ME.......ive read on here that a small hemmoroid can bre really painful .....plus after i left it got really inflammed and swollen and was much bigger......im doing sitz baths, creams, etc.....but the creams cause the burning/stabbing pain to be worse.....DOES THIS SOUND LIKE SERIOUS HEMMOROIDS that might require surgery? Im not sure how else they would go away......i eat lots of fiber...drink water but have IBS and thus sometimes constipated,diarhea or both.....

Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User
Re: Painful hemmoroids

could be an anal fissure. you really need to go to a colon and rectal surgeon to be properly diagnosed.

i went to my ob/gyn before i went to a colon and rectal surgeon and she couldn't see anything except a skin tag. the colon and rectal surgeon saw several superficial cuts.

when i was in pain i took motrin, sitz baths, only wiped with tucks pads or flushable wipes, would sit on heating pads and pillows, and made sure to drink plenty of water, take metamucil every day and take a couple stool softeners at night. it can also help to take flax seed oil capsules and magnesium.. don't put it off for too long, it may not heal by itself... if it's been more than a couple months, i would go ahead and make an appt with a colon and rectal surgeon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
(male)

east30s HB User

thanks...wouldnt anal fissure bleed? I have no bleeding but feel like im being RIPPED open everytime i sit, stand or do stairs......im going tomake an appt next week.....will they do another digital exam? I dont think i could go thru that pain again!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
(female)

it may not bleed. mine usually only bled a really small amount each time. but hurt like hell!

it just depends on the doc whether or not he will do a digital exam. just tell him or her that you are in a lot of pain and they might not or will at least take it easy on you and be as gentle as possible

the key to healing it on your own is to keep your bowels as soft as possible. so make sure you are drinking plenty of water, lots of veggies, fresh fruit, and the stool softeners really help.

hope you feel better soon. it's not any fun to feel like this

Old 04-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
(male)

east30s HB User

thanks...after 12 days i finally BLED today......took the colace last night..the only thing that really helps is ALEVE....its like a MIRACLE.......the creams, sitz baths,etc dont help much.......im going to make an appt with colorectal surgeon to see what he thinks......i have to work and find it so hard to sit in an office for 9 hrs per day........

How long have you had yours and how long does it take to heal? it seems people make fun of this since i gather most people get mild cases and assume everyone gets that......but seems like a certain few like us get really painful ones? how much water do you drink? I am thin..eat tons of fiber/.....work out everyday, etc etc etc but have IBS....i usually push everyday but have well formed stools.......i guess i cant push at all anymore? thanks

Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
(female)

when my colon and rectal surgeon saw me and diagnosed me he wanted me to try drinking two tablespoons of metamucil with big glasses of water twice a day and take a couple stool softeners at night for a few weeks. he thought mine should heal on their own

i had already been dealing with my superficial cuts for over 2 years at this point. i tried his suggestions for couple weeks, but things weren't getting better and i had tried doing the metamucil route in the past to no avail.

so he scheduled me a few days later for surgery. i had LIS surgery in late december of 2009. i would say i feel 95-98% back to normal now.

the surgery was no big deal. the only thing i regret is not getting the surgery sooner. i didn't have incontinence of any kind.

my colon and rectal surgeon made it seem that anal fissures are a lot more common than you think. he said he performs 200 LIS surgeries a year and has been doing them for 25 years.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
(male)

east30s HB User

Thanks...went to colorectal surgeon yesterday...i have an external thrombosed hemmoroid and an anal fissure...he thinks the pain is from the fissure...he gave me nifedine cream.......he said to apply 2x per day around anal opening...doesnt have to be inserted.....he said some start to feel better in 1 week...and others take longer...some much longer....if not effective he mentioned the botox shots and then surgery...he said the surgery is a 15 minute procedure in his office...i guess its local anasthetic.......he said not to worry about all the bad press for LIS with incontinence, etc......i also read that many anal fissures have pain during defecation and a few hours after.....my pain is fine in the morning before i defecate and then aftewards im in pain the rest of the day if im at work sitting or standing.........i cant even do stairs or sit up and down without pain......but come morning...im practically healed and can run/workout without pain until i go to bathroom and cycle starts over again....he said i could continue to excecercise if i wasnt in pain....he said it shouldnt effect the fissure.....somehow that seemed odd to me but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantrelief View Post
when my colon and rectal surgeon saw me and diagnosed me he wanted me to try drinking two tablespoons of metamucil with big glasses of water twice a day and take a couple stool softeners at night for a few weeks. he thought mine should heal on their own

i had already been dealing with my superficial cuts for over 2 years at this point. i tried his suggestions for couple weeks, but things weren't getting better and i had tried doing the metamucil route in the past to no avail.

so he scheduled me a few days later for surgery. i had LIS surgery in late december of 2009. i would say i feel 95-98% back to normal now.

the surgery was no big deal. the only thing i regret is not getting the surgery sooner. i didn't have incontinence of any kind.

my colon and rectal surgeon made it seem that anal fissures are a lot more common than you think. he said he performs 200 LIS surgeries a year and has been doing them for 25 years.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
(female)

Snuggypoop HB User

Go to a doctor for relief...I did and they prescribed a rectal suppository called Anucort.
It helps trememdoulsly with the the pain because it is an anti inflammatory...Also sitting on a heating pad is great....good luck...but go to the doctor...no big deal...

Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
(male)

YorkPDF HB User

East30s,

I met my surgeon yesterday and am having the LIS done a week from today. I'm praying that I can make it that long. I think I have the exact same symptoms you have. I'm good in the morning like I can take on the world but immediately after my BM, I have to sit in a tub of warm water for an hour or 2 to get any relief. My surgeon said it sounds like my inter sphinctor(sp?) muscle is in constant spasm and my body want relax.

I'm praying that the surgery works because I really don't know how I will be able to move forward with the pain I'm dealing with. I don't really have pain during the BM, but afterwards is a totally different story.

He said my fissure is definitely chronic but I do not need a fissurectomy because I don't have an scar tissue built up around the tear. I just need t believe this will relieve my pain once I have this surgery. I'm calling every day to see if they have had any cancellations to see if I can move my surgery up. I've tried hydrocortisone w/ lidacaine and the cream that begins with "n" (nifredipine?) and it does absolutely nothing for me.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you. I honestly can't wait because I haven't been able to leave the house in 8 days due to the pain after bowel movements and the spasms.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
(male)

east30s HB User

it does sound the same...im fine in the AM...fine during BM eventhough there is blood and than pain afterwards....im on day 2 of the nifedine(sp?).....keep us posted on your surgery......i will give it a few weeks to see how it goes with this cream...

Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
(male)

YorkPDF HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by east30s View Post
it does sound the same...im fine in the AM...fine during BM eventhough there is blood and than pain afterwards....im on day 2 of the nifedine(sp?).....keep us posted on your surgery......i will give it a few weeks to see how it goes with this cream...
Have you noticed any relief once you apply the cream? I'm also still using the cream and I haven't noticed anything after I apply. The pain just shoots to my scrotum and down both legs...a pulsating sensation that also includes the "shards of glass/burning sensation" that I think is common with fissures.

I will definitely keep you posted on how things go. Right now, my biggest fear is that I won't get any relief from the surgery. At this point, I'm willing to battle incontinence if I have not pain, that is how bad it is for me.

Hopefully you will start to notice a difference and won't have to have the surgery. I don't think I have a choice, unfortunately...

Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
(male)

east30s HB User

My pain comes and goes throughout the day...if im stressed at work i feel like someone is stabbing a HOT knife in my anus..........i find that if i lie down at home its 100% better after lying for an hour or so.....but sitting at work, etc can be hard.....the cream isnt a pain reliever....its suppose to increase blood flow to the area so that the wound can heal......i dont get the sharp pain going down both legs either....today is an ok day since i didnt have a big BM...still had bllod tho this morning......but if i have a normal bowel movement...usually pain most of the day to the point that stepping off a curb is like scary! and i live in manhattan and walk everywhere....my doctor said the fear of incontinence is overblown......so trust that this is the best course for you but i totally understand your fears!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
(male)

YorkPDF HB User

East30s,

I appreciate your response. This has been very difficult for me as I have had a couple "emotional" breakdowns because the pain as been so bad at times. I think the guy with the hot knife in NY has a brother in SC that is hanging with me

I was hoping the cream would cause my spasms to decrease which I was hoping would give me some pain relief. I agree with you regarding the lying down part. I wish I could be put into a coma for a week and then wake up after the surgery. I used to think I had a high pain tolerance but after this experience, not so much. I honestly don't know how people can live with this for years. I have a 11 month old daughter that I can do much with because of the spasms I get. It has taken over my life and it is very depressing.

I just need to make it 7 more days. Good luck and keep me posted on how things are going. I'm going to keep applying the cream in hopes it will do something.

Later...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
(male)

east30s HB User

People think this stuff is a joke but its SERIOUS pain.....today i didnt go to the bathroom and IM NORMAL....but i know once i go tomorrow...the pain starts 1 hour later usually......yes...this is depressing...i suffer from panic attacks which were controlled and they now resurfaced...SUCKs......anyway...GOOD LUCK...keep us posted! M

QUOTE=YorkPDF;4227267]East30s,

I appreciate your response. This has been very difficult for me as I have had a couple "emotional" breakdowns because the pain as been so bad at times. I think the guy with the hot knife in NY has a brother in SC that is hanging with me

I was hoping the cream would cause my spasms to decrease which I was hoping would give me some pain relief. I agree with you regarding the lying down part. I wish I could be put into a coma for a week and then wake up after the surgery. I used to think I had a high pain tolerance but after this experience, not so much. I honestly don't know how people can live with this for years. I have a 11 month old daughter that I can do much with because of the spasms I get. It has taken over my life and it is very depressing.

I just need to make it 7 more days. Good luck and keep me posted on how things are going. I'm going to keep applying the cream in hopes it will do something.

Later...[/QUOTE]

Old 04-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
(male)

YorkPDF HB User

East30s,

Very bad day for me today. I was hoping I had gotten past these types of days. Question for you. Do you have a different pain between the internal hemmorrhoid and the fissure? Can you tell them apart? I'm in so much freaking pain that there is no way it can be just from a fissure. The stabbing today is unbelieveable. I've soaked in the tub 3 times for 60 minutes and still can't get any relief. Just trying to figure out if I got something more going on then just this fissure. My surgeon did a fissure exam but hasn't done anything "inside" the anal canal or rectum area. I'm at a loss of words for how I feel right now.

Would anyone recommend the emergency room? I've got this feeling that I will be laughed at if I do got but this pain is unbearable right now. Typing this message is keeping me from thinking about doing some pretty stupid things. I'm going to see if my doctor will help me find someone that I can pay a couple hundred dollars to switch with them so I can get my surgery done before Fri. I'm not going to make it...

Closed Thread