It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

ANGELA 64 HB User
Does a colonoscopy hurt

I am extremely scared, i heard it does hurt, is that ture

Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
(male)

YorkPDF HB User
Re: Does a colonoscopy hurt

I've had 2 colonoscopies in my life (last one was fall of 2009) and I don't remember either one of them. They say it is a "light" anesthsia (sp?) but I don't remember any of it. I remember counting to 10 and then waking up in the recovery room. I would ask your doctor but I've never heard of someone being up during the procedures.

I hope this helps ease your anxiety but feel free to ask your doctor. I was scared and nervous for the first one. The only part about the second I hated was the prep. You spend the entire day in the bathroom because you have to drink this nasty tasting stuff to help clean you out. I highly recommend putting the nasty drink stuff in the fridge and mix it with something very cold. Made it much easier to get down without gagging.

Good luck!!

Last edited by YorkPDF; 04-20-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Nowadays, just about everyone gets some sort of "relaxant" that leaves them with no memory of the procedure. I've been told that technically it is not anesthesia, but I don't know the details!

I know people who have wanted to stay awake. They describe it as uncomfortable but bearable. A few people on various boards have complained about cramping for a day or two after the procedure, and I have had a little, too. But, from my experience, it is related to food starting to work through the system again, rather than anything related to the procedure.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg View Post
I know people who have wanted to stay awake. They describe it as uncomfortable but bearable.
I did that and it wasn't any worse than menstrual cramps. (I should mention that I don't have diverticulitis, adhesions or anything that would complicate the procedure.) They even removed a polyp and I didn't feel anything different. I'm having my second one next month and am happily going unsedated again. I like being alert afterwards.

With sedation, everyone says, "the sedative kicked in, I woke up and it was done."

Last edited by AThena53; 04-20-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
(female)

Snuggypoop HB User

Dont worry...the colonoscopy is completely painless.. It is a ten minute procedure and you are asleep... However the day before you have to do the prep at home. This involves drinking this stuff that will cause you to have diahrhea for about two hours. Its not fun but you cant have a colonoscopy without it. You have to have a clear colon. You can only have clear fluids the day before the test and nothing after midnight. Not to worry ...
I had one three weeks ago and I worried for nothing...

Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
(female)

araine86 HB User

Funny thing, I found that the prep was far easier then the colonoscopy, but maybe that was because of my rare condition that I was diagnosed with. I have found that if you drink 16oz of water every hour as you prep the day before, there is little to no pain at all from the laxatives that you receive. As far as the procedure goes, I found that the IV hurt more then the actual procedure. As noted above, you may experience some cramping and discomfort a day or two after procedure, but nothing serious. Just take it easy getting food back into your system and continue to drink liquids. Everything will be fine.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ambermcc1987 HB User

Hello, I had a colonosopy three days ago. By far the worse thing is the prep. Mine was at 2:00 in the afternoon. I had to have a clear liquid diet starting at breakfast the day before. ( if i never see jello again it will be too soon) Then I had to drink the "dreaded" laxitive starting at 5:00 the day before. I found it to taste like sprite that you left sitting on your table for two days. I found adding ice helped the taste but to me, it really wasnt TOO bad. The next morning I had to do another bout with the stuff. It's really important that you drink plenty of clear liquids when you are taking the medicine. I actually found having to drink a litre of water after the 8 oz of laxitives was harder for me than getting the 8oz down.

You might have a little pain from the diahriah. my doctor suggested putting a little petrolium jelly on my bottom. This pain went away after the 3rd bowl movement because by then i was basically going number 1 out of my bottom.

The procedure itself was the easiest part. My Gastro gave me a mix of a "amnesia" drug and a pain killer through an IV. THis doesnt really put you to sleep but makes you not remember the procedure at all. That med. started with a V. They put it in my IV and my last thought before waking up in recovery was " wow, this isnt working"

My husband drove me home and I woke up 3 hours later and went and ate a HUGE buffet. The only pain i had was "gas" pains because they fill you with air to see better. 5 hours after my colonoscopy i even went and had my hair done.

The big thing is drink tons of water. They gave me saline after the procedure but I did have a headache from dehydration. I would suggest getting gatoraide ( not lemon lime becaue thats the flavor of the laxitive, and nothing red, blue or purple because you shouldny have those colors) and really forcing it the time you are on a clear liquid diet to make sure you have your electrolights and your water.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions please reply and I will be glad to anwser them

Old 05-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
(female)

maaan123 HB User

It will not hurt if you ask for seduction. I have done 2 already.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
(female)

ThaDreads HB User

Depends on how they do the procedure. With mine? I didn't feel a thing- during or afterwards. I had a colonoscopy AND endoscopy when I was a freshman in college.

They put in an IV first. Before they started they put a very strong short acting medicine like valium AND a demerol (painkiller) in the IV. Those meds were so strong that I don't remember anything- I just kinda came to and it was over.

The worst part is the prep- prepare to have a sore bottom from pooping for a few hours. (to the point where it is pretty much clear liquid)

Goodluck.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
(female)

barb050 HB User

this prep is the worst
i have had 4 colon..
u r asleep...

Closed Thread