It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #136
(female)

lilypetunia HB Userlilypetunia HB User
Re: Sphincteroplasty after 4th degree tear

Spasticchar, I would say take at least 2 weeks off of work. I don't know if you would be able to sit down an entire day though. It is all so individual, if you can take frequent breaks that would be good.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #137
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

Spasticchar, I would say 3-4 weeks off work, preferably 4 if you're sitting all day. I was off work for 5 weeks, but could have started after 4 weeks if I was really eager to start work. I still had discomfort sitting towards the end, because the wound wasn't completely healed until 5 weeks post-op.

Thanks Lilypetunia for the flaxseed tip, I will try that!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #138
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi Is it possible to do part of the work standing or even kneeling on a cushion in a private place?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #139
(female)

flsunshine HB Userflsunshine HB Userflsunshine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi Is it possible to do part of the work standing or even kneeling on a cushion in a private place?
If you use a cushion do not use one of those 'donut' things because they cause the blood to pool and 'concentrate' in that area and makes things much worse. I kept a thin cushion with me especially getting in and out of the car ( I drive an SUV that sits a bit high)...I found it helped with the 'scooting' out of the car without tugging the tissues.

One more thing I was told not to 'squat' at all for at least four weeks. But my wound opened and it turned out to be eight weeks of no squatting. How they expect us to have a 'bath' and not squat I have no idea. I just stuck with the shower/hand held and the sitz baths.

I think the key is that you have to be your own advocate in what you feel you can and can't do. I heard a gal say this past week that she was told when being released from the hospital that she was to resume normal activity. And was never told not to squat. WHAT? Like what are these doctors/nurses thinking. I bet they have never had this surgery before! I found that I could sit for about an hour and then I had to get up and walk around or go lay down. Remember though, that walking too much is not good either because of the 'friction' in that area unless of course you have 'really skinny legs'. One more thing....you will have to give up the 'pretty panties/thongs' for awhile it just doesn't work getting them stuck up there.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #140
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

How are things going for you ladies?

I had a stomach bug a few days ago resulting in diarrhea. This is what I have been dreading very much, worried to be confronted with the extent of lack of control. However, I was pleasantly surprised, it wasn't as bad as I feared. The last time I had diarrhea was a month or so before surgery. Then it just came, no control. Now, when I felt it coming on, I was actually changing a diaper on my baby, and I squeezed, made it stop coming, finished changing the diaper and rushed to the bathroom. I had diarrhea a few times that day and each time I made it to the bathroom on time just fine. I don't know how it would have turned out if I hadn't been home. I don't think I would have been able to keep it in for very long then unfortunately. But, being at home it was no problem. The only problem I had was that after a while I became very gassy and some of the residue was still in the anal canal with mucus, and once, what I thought was gas, was actually mucus with some fecal matter I went to the bathroom one more time, emptying everything, so it didn't happen again.

Today I also feel more improvement in control with normal BMs. I feel quite optimistic today and will be doing my kegels after writing this

I hope you girls are doing ok. Especially flsunshine, I think about you and really hope your problems will one day be resolved. Lilypetunia, I hope your control is improving slowly but surely, and kksmommy too. Good luck to spasticchar with your surgery soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Babygirl43 For This Useful Post:
flsunshine (01-26-2011), sjb (01-25-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #141
(female)

Babygirl I am so happy about your control! Seems like the kegels are really paying off. Cannot wait to be able to start doing those again and maybe see further improvement. It seems like my experience is very similar to yours, I also can keep it in for a while but I am not 100% sure if I could hold it in indefinitely if I was out somewhere.
I am happy to report that the flaxseed is still working well for me. I have now been taking a tablespoon of flaxseed in yogurt every morning and so far it is giving me the perfect consistency, I have only gone to the bathroom ONCE a day since starting it! This is such great improvement for me as I don't have to clean my wound out several times. I highly recommend trying the flaxseed, I also have made an effort to drink a lot more water every day and that is also helping. The wound seems to be improving - probably because I am not messing with it all the time.
Hope everyone is well!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #142
(female)

Question Re: Sphincteroplasty after 4th degree tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypetunia View Post
Babygirl I am so happy about your control! Seems like the kegels are really paying off. Cannot wait to be able to start doing those again and maybe see further improvement. It seems like my experience is very similar to yours, I also can keep it in for a while but I am not 100% sure if I could hold it in indefinitely if I was out somewhere.
I am happy to report that the flaxseed is still working well for me. I have now been taking a tablespoon of flaxseed in yogurt every morning and so far it is giving me the perfect consistency, I have only gone to the bathroom ONCE a day since starting it! This is such great improvement for me as I don't have to clean my wound out several times. I highly recommend trying the flaxseed, I also have made an effort to drink a lot more water every day and that is also helping. The wound seems to be improving - probably because I am not messing with it all the time.
Hope everyone is well!
Lilypetunia, I am so glad to hear this! I have a question. Does the flax seed 'bulk up' your poo? And can you see it in your poo? The reason I ask is the metimucil makes me have a lot MORE poo than normal and I can actually see it in my poo....looks like ground up paper. And I have diverticulosis and I am not supposed to eat 'seeds'. So I need to know if they come out as seeds before I try them.
OMG to go one time a day would be HEAVEN for me. I am so very happy for you.
Hugs,
flsunshine

Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #143
(female)

Babygirl I am so glad to hear this! Remember, even people who do not have our problem have problems keeping diarrhea in! You are doing SO WELL and you know what we ALL needed to hear this. I can't tell you how important it is for people (I am sure there are many who read and never post) to hear positives about having this surgery! I am going to have the surgery. I consulted another colorectal surgeon and he totally trusts my current surgeon's opionion. He is actually a mentor to most surgeons here in FL because he teaches it at hospitals in Georgia/Shands Gainsville/Shands Jacksonville/FL hospital and the VA in Texas. He told me that if he says he can fix it he can. I am going to pray about it and keep positive thoughts. I have to trust that God has a 'plan' for me. I will continue to post on the boards through it all so it might help another of us 'Butt Sisters".
Hugs To All,
Flsunshine

Last edited by flsunshine; 01-26-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #144
(female)

Lol at "Butt Sisters". That is awesome! I am so glad you are seeing the best surgeon around that has a good reputation. I think the skill of the surgeon makes all the difference.
In terms of the flaxseeds it does not bulk up the poop, it is mostly insoluble fiber, whereas Metamucil is mostly soluble fiber that soaks up water and therefore increase the volume. Metamucil never worked for me for that reason. If you suffer from diverticulosis then I would recommend the ground flaxseed because the whole ones do pass through undigested so it is possible for them to irritate. Especially, if you ever have a flare up of diverticulitis you should avoid it.
good luck

Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #145
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypetunia View Post
Lol at "Butt Sisters". That is awesome! I am so glad you are seeing the best surgeon around that has a good reputation. I think the skill of the surgeon makes all the difference.
In terms of the flaxseeds it does not bulk up the poop, it is mostly insoluble fiber, whereas Metamucil is mostly soluble fiber that soaks up water and therefore increase the volume. Metamucil never worked for me for that reason. If you suffer from diverticulosis then I would recommend the ground flaxseed because the whole ones do pass through undigested so it is possible for them to irritate. Especially, if you ever have a flare up of diverticulitis you should avoid it.
good luck
I am the one with the constant diarrhea so I better just stick with the metamucil and deal with the bulk I need all the extra water soak up I can get. Thanks for answering. I thought the 'butt sisters' was funny too...fits really well huh?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:08 AM   #146
(female)

Hi girls, just wondering how you're all doing.

I'm doing pretty well, although I still I have too many BMs per day to my taste (about 3 times). I feel that my control is getting slowly better. Although if I do wait too long (experimenting with waiting, as I usually make a dash for it , it does start coming out if I don't squeeze really hard, and sometimes squeezing doesn't do the trick either. Before the birth I didn't have to make much of an effort to squeeze on the way to the bathroom, it just stayed in automatically. Sometimes now, it does stay in, even with an urge and no squeezing, as long as I haven't waited too long, which I'm VERY pleased about!
Another thing I'm pleased about is what happened earlier this week. As I've mentioned earlier, I have had problems with mucus, which I think is gas, but ends up being mucus when I let it out, I hate it. But lately I've been able to notice a slight difference between gas and mucus. Well... I was on my commute to work when I felt gas coming on, but then I thought, this feels like mucus. So I squeezed and squeezed, making sure it didn't come out, as I still had another 15 minutes before reaching a toilet at work. So for the next 15 minutes I squeezed to hold in the mucus. When I came to work, I went to the toilet to let out the mucus, and it was just lots of gas. So, I actually was able to hold in gas for 15 minutes!!!!! Who would have thought!

I have to stress, things are not back to normal, as I wish they would be, but there is a big improvement. To be normal to me is one BM a day, now it's 2-5 times. Normal to me is being able to keep it in for a few hours if necessary. I remember that when I was a teenager I could keep it in for days! Now I can't keep it in for very long, but long enough to have a normal life with bathrooms around. I'm still scared of traveling long distances with no restrooms available. My dream would be to be able to do something for a whole day, like going hiking or skiing, or traveling in the 3rd world where there are no bathrooms available. These things I used to do with no problems.

I know that with my improvement, I'm very lucky compared to some of you, but I still wish I was 100% normal. I do kegels every day, in the hope that these will help in the long run.

I think of you girls and hope you are all doing well (as well as can be in this situation).

Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #147
(female)

hollysmom HB User

Babygirl43, Tha's great news! I have been doing my Kegel's religiously and have started to notice that I don't need to run as fast, first thing in the morning. I too, would like to be the way I was before giving birth. I know this will never be the case, but the support from all of you, and knowing (finally) that I am not the only one in the world with this problem, certainly helps tremendously! Thanks and hugs to you. hollysmom

Old 02-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #148
(female)

Babygirl, I am so happy you can hold gas in! That is one of the most difficult things I heard and unusual that you are able to even with the surgery. Hopefully, you will go less times a day soon. I find that I go less if I have perfect consistency of the stool. Having flaxseed really helps keep it the right consistency and also plenty of fluids.
For the last few weeks I have only had one BM a day. Which I am so happy about. The flaxseed really helps, I really recommend it! I take 1-2 tablespoons in yogurt each morning and it seems to do the trick.
It seems we have very similar experiences with control. I have not had any accidents so far but I do have the feeling I cannot hold it in indefinitely. The urge of going will not go away until I go, before the birth I would be able to just push it back in and the urge would go away. I also have the feeling of things coming out if I don't hurry to the bathroom. But I am not sure if this is just a sensation because I have never actually had any leaking or felt any stool there.
I don't really have good control of gas, but I am hopeful that physical therapy will help with that. My wound still haven't healed and I cannot start pt or even do any kegels until it is fully healed. I am also still not allowed to have sex which has been hard on my marriage, it has been 5 months now....
I am seeing my surgeon in a couple of weeks and I am really hoping by then she will give the go-ahead for pt and sex. The wound is now only about a centimeter wide and about half a centimeter deep. I feel at this point it just superficial.
Hope everyone is well
hugs

Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #149
(female)

jcavanagh HB User

Hi Babygirl43,
Thanks for updating us on your condition!! It sounds to me like you are making alot of progress!!!! You seem to be doing great, considering when you had your surgery. Don't forget it takes along time for all those nerves to heal & recover. I have been told it takes up to a full year to see the final results. I had the same surgery one month ago and have had some complications (anal fistule) that I have not wanted to share with the board, because I did not want to discourage anyone from having the procedure. However, even with my set back I do believe I am beginning to see some improvement in my control. Have you ask your doctor about the mucus problem? I remember having alot of mucus and frequent trips to the potty a couple of years ago for many years. I tried everything on the market including all types of diets & probiotics, which I still take everyday. Nothing seem to help until I was tested for "small intestinal overgrowth bacteria", it was difficult to diagnose but once it was, I was put on an antibiotic (Rifaximine) to clear it up. I had to do two rounds, six months apart and I haven't had that problem since. If it had not been for you & flsunshine, I would not have been as prepared for my surgery and my post-op care. I feel like we need all the help and suggestions we can get!! Hope you can get the mucus & frequency under control. Please keep us posted.

Take care!
JC

Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #150
(female)

trixieb HB Usertrixieb HB User

JC, I would be interested in hearing more about your complications. I had surgery four weeks ago and am having similar problems (probable fistula). It's so frustrating!

The following user gives a hug of support to trixieb:
flsunshine (02-11-2011)
Closed Thread