It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #106
(female)

flsunshine HB Userflsunshine HB Userflsunshine HB User
Re: Sphincteroplasty after 4th degree tear

I will go ahead and say this also...not like we hold anything back on here (which is actually helpful to me to be able to 'talk' about it unimpeded). I would 'lock myself in my room' and strip all my clothes off after my shower/bath and blow dry with the hair dryer on low heat then I would lay down and read and 'Air out' while I read a book for a little while. I was the first time in my life that I would just take a 'time out' for ME....

Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #107
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

Lilypetunia, I really hope your wound will heal soon. I have no advice for you, as my wound healed at 5 weeks. I only had a very small hole in the skin than closed up fine. I guess I can only share what I did when healing, which was no sitz baths, I showered once a day and washed with an anti-septic soap, dried myself there with a dry wash cloth, (that was washed afterwards, not used twice). I used toilet paper after BMs already after 2 weeks, which I don't know was a good idea, but it worked for me. I really hope this will get better soon, it must be especially annoying to have to clean up after BMs.

Flsunshine, about the hard horse shoe scar down there, I also have pulling and discomfort, especially while sitting on the toilet. I have another approach to this though, as I on purpose let the scar stretch. I'll sit an extra minute on the toilet, in a position that I can feel the scar stretch well and then get on with my day. I do this about 1-2 times a day. I feel that this has helped my scar tissue to soften and get flatter. I don't know if this would be good for your scar tissue, as I haven't had any skin flaps removed like you did. But I just felt like I had to do something to make the scar less hard and have read a little bit about scar tissue massage and stretching. I have massaged the scar tissue a few times too, but I feel like the stretching has really helped. The tissue also gets less painful to stretch after a while, and feels and looks more normal now. I'm still healing of course, so maybe the scar tissue would have become more normal anyway, but I'm actually pretty sure that the stretching has been important.

The Following User Says Thank You to Babygirl43 For This Useful Post:
flsunshine (01-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #108
(female)

lilypetunia HB Userlilypetunia HB User

Thanks everyone. I am really happy to report after just a couple of days of "packing the wound" with zinc oxide ointment it looks much better. I cannot believe what a difference in such a short time. I think it is the moisture barrier. Also, I shaved all the hair around the area and it is much easier to clean up now and hair doesn't get stuck in the wound. Before the hair would irritate the area but I was too afraid to shave there because of infection risk, nicking etc. But I am so glad I did.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #109
(female)

sad6575 HB User

You should check out a new minimally invasive option for bowel incontinence called Secca therapy < edited > - outpatient, and effective - something you should try before ever thinking of artificial bowel sphincter. This one is FDA approved now. There are a couple other therapies awaiting FDA approval - Solesta a bulking agent and also Sacral Nerve stimulation which is an implant kind of like a pacemaker. Good luck - it is very positive that now patients are actually talking to their doctors about this terrible disorder...up to 1 in 3 women who have had children have it and many men as well.

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-16-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to sad6575 For This Useful Post:
flsunshine (01-17-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #110
(female)

>Sad...I have recently found your posts. Unfortunately most of what we see on these boards are of people who 'continue' to suffer from this horrible/debilitating DISEASE/disorder. What we really need is to hear from people who have had successful repairs! It seems YOU might be privy to that information unabridged. I know that there are many more of 'us' that need this information. I have 'medical background' and this has truly beaten me down. I have never suffered such mentally as I have these years. My husband left me after 27 years of marriage because of this and I told myself that I was not going to STOP until I was CURED and self sufficient. I am now out of funds and close to the end of my medical benefits and am still in the SAME PREDICAMENT. I actually hoped for more from the US Obamacare but that will not help me either... I do have an 'income' but not sufficient enough to fund THIS... I never thought I would ever feel this way but if it was not for my beautiful daughter being so young I would have taken the easy way out. It is a 24/7 battle with no light at the end of the tunnel.... If you have the ability to get us 'positive' information please do so! Thanks so much.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #111
(female)

flshunshine, I am so sorry about your situation with the health care coverage. The US system really sucks! Is there any way you can get disability for your condition? If you do I believe you can get medicaid coverage.
Also, something that has really helped me with the anxiety and depression is seeing a therapist. I go every week and it has been a life saver, I also take anti-depressants (SSRI) that helps take the edge off my anxiety. Without this I would be a complete mess.
I really hope everything will work out! Hugs

Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #112
(female)

sad6575 HB User

I hope to be able to do just that...unfortunately patients seem to quit posting after they have the problem fixed! Do you go to a colon rectal doctor or a urogynecologist? You should look for what they call now a "pelvic floor center". That focuses on the area down there - and many have both specialties working together. I know there are many of them in florida and would imagine there is one in your area. Good luck - remember there are new things happening in this field all the time - awareness and treatment options are increasing! Scream and yell if your insurance company won't pay for the new treatments!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #113
(female)

SAD I have a question about the Secca therapy. Does it work for people that have no nerve damage and torn sphincters? It seems like most people on here do not have intact sphincters but do have nerves intact. From what I understand sacral nerve stimulation etc will only work for people with the opposite problem: intact sphincters with nerve damage. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #114
(female)

sad6575 HB User

From what I know about Secca - you need to have some nerve function - and it works on the internal anal sphincter muscle - so a totally intact external anal sphincter might not be necessary. That said - testing needs to be done by a doctor to determine if they are candidates for any procedure. And I do know that Secca can be done on someone who has already had a sphincteroplasty as well as keeps other options open if Secca doesn't work for the patient.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #115
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypetunia View Post
flshunshine, I am so sorry about your situation with the health care coverage. The US system really sucks! Is there any way you can get disability for your condition? If you do I believe you can get medicaid coverage.
Also, something that has really helped me with the anxiety and depression is seeing a therapist. I go every week and it has been a life saver, I also take anti-depressants (SSRI) that helps take the edge off my anxiety. Without this I would be a complete mess.
I really hope everything will work out! Hugs
sa

I do not qualify for disability because first, I receive alimony and it is just over the amount allowable. Also, I have not worked enough 'quarters' in my lifetime to qualify for disability and I am only 48 so I can't receive anything until I am 62. It does suck... I HAVE to get a job that provides benefits. It is my only option....I can't even say "Don't want alimony any more." Believe that or not. The current economy does not help matters. Anyway, it is what it is and I just have to deal with it or give up and I just can't go there until my God give duty to raise my daughter is done at the very least. Yes, I am now seeing a great therapist (one that has endured colon cancer also so he really 'understands') and am on SSRI's also. My GP is also a good friend and very compassionate.
>Sad thank you so much for your information. I am going to discuss this with my surgeon. Right now I am going to just be honest and say...it's a new year and 'new deductibles' and I am waiting for 'Uncle Sam' to send refund checks before I can afford to do anything. It is sad that we live in this type of world that people do without medical coverage because of money (mostly middle income because low income qualify for it ALL) Most people just can't fathom understanding 'this'...again, it is what it is.
Hugs all around...

Old 01-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #116
(female)

spasticchar HB User

I am scheduled for a Sphincteroplasty due to a 4th degree tear 12 years ago on the 1st of Feb and my doctor said I am only going to be in the hospital overnight and than I get to go home, after reading all this it makes me nervous,. Has anyone else had this done and only stayed overnight at hospital?

The following user gives a hug of support to spasticchar:
flsunshine (01-19-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #117
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasticchar View Post
I am scheduled for a Sphincteroplasty due to a 4th degree tear 12 years ago on the 1st of Feb and my doctor said I am only going to be in the hospital overnight and than I get to go home, after reading all this it makes me nervous,. Has anyone else had this done and only stayed overnight at hospital?
spasticchar, I did not stay in the hospital at all and I live an hour and a half from the surgical hospital. Had I not had someone to help me especially that first day I don't know how I would have gotten through it. As it was I came home, went to bed and woke up having to go to the bathroom NOW but could not because I had all this 'stuff' taped to my privates. It took my sister fifteen minutes to get the tape and gauze off and I ended up with blood blisters where the tape pulled the skin. From what I have seen on here there is a gamut of hospital stays. One person I 'met' on here was in the hospital a week. I hate to say this but I think it has to do with 'insurance' as to what 'they' will pay for...
The consensus on here is to make sure your surgeon is 'competent' to do this kind of surgery and does A LOT OF THEM. Also, I have had several repairs but my last in August was by a colon-rectal surgeon the 'others' were by GYN's and I believe that was my big mistake in failures of the previous repairs. This web site has been a God Send for me and a wealth of information. I wish I would have found it before I had any surgery.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #118
(female)

I stayed in the hospital for 4 days, my surgeon said she wants to keep people as long as possible NPO and on an IV to delay a BM due to the infection risk. However, I ended up with an infection anyways, it is just a difficult area to keep sterile. I think an overnight stay is typical. Is the surgeon performing the operation a colorectal surgeon? If not then I would be hesitant, I believe the skill of the surgeon really determines the success of the surgery. Good luck to you! I hope you have someone staying with you to help out. I could not have done it without help. Also, the sitz bath with epsom salt was a life saver for me.
good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #119
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

I stayed for 2 nights (actually 3, 1 day before surgery and 2 nights afterwards). I was up and walking the morning after surgery and could technically have gone home that day, but it was good to stay another night. There were no requirements to have a BM before going home.

I haven't had any complications after surgery, except for a few stitches coming undone in my perineum. But everything healed well, no infections. The recovery I see as a long process. With recovery I mean getting back the function of your muscles. I noticed a significant difference after surgery, but it's by no means like it was pre-birth. I am doing kegels everyday and will continue to do so for the rest of my life so that my muscles will be as strong as possible. I really really hope I can one day consider myself normal.

A positive difference for me is that I can hold it in longer (but not as long as I like, it does eventually come out on its own if I wait a bit too long). A negative difference for me is that it seems that the bowel doesn't always empty completely, as it's tighter down there. So I have to go several times with a spacing of a few hours, which is very annoying. I can't just be done and not worry for 12 hours like pre-surgery.

What are your issues and how long have you had problems? Did they start immediately after birth or did the problems come later? Have you had an ultrasound done and if so what were the results of that? Have you checked out your CR-dr.?

Good luck and keep us updated!!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #120
(female)

spasticchar HB User

Thank you everyone for posting. I had a general surgeon take a peek first and did a colonscopy and he said that I was with little muscle down there and that he wanted to send me to the best as he didn't perform many, So i drove five hours to someone who specializes in colon surgery and he examined me and said yes that I needed it done. I just started having problems 6 months ago first it was just not being able to keep myself clean to within the last month of having full fledge bowel movements in my pants if I dont get to the bathroom asap. So I am still nervous but your responses have helped a lot

Closed Thread