It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
(female)

LeighAnnie HB User
Post op colon resection

Hello I was diagnosed with diverticulitis January 2010, took the antibiotics.. and three days later had a relapse with micro perforation and was hospitalized with IV antibiotics for 6 days.. the surgeon on staff told me the surgery was recommended as an emergency one could have resulted in a colostomy.

I had the colon resection 04/23/10 and it apparently went ok.. was released from the hospital 4 days later..

it is now my 9th day post op and my incision (lower abdomen midline) has really hard tender spots underneath it.

Maybe I am just hoping to heal faster than my body will but is this normal to have these painful lumps under the incision? There is no oozing or bleeding at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
(female)

PenneyLoafer HB User
Re: Post op colon resection

We had such a similar experience except I was in the hospital on iv antibiotics in January 2009 and my laparascopic surgery was in June 2009.

Some pain is to be expected for several weeks after a surgery like this. I was amazed though that after about two or three weeks the pain subsided a lot.

Traditional mid-line incisions hurt much more I am told. Was yours laparascopic or traditional?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
(female)

LeighAnnie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenneyLoafer View Post
We had such a similar experience except I was in the hospital on iv antibiotics in January 2009 and my laparascopic surgery was in June 2009.

Some pain is to be expected for several weeks after a surgery like this. I was amazed though that after about two or three weeks the pain subsided a lot.

Traditional mid-line incisions hurt much more I am told. Was yours laparascopic or traditional?
Thank you for the reassurance that this is normal! My surgery was laparascopic assisted. I asked my surgeon how large the main incision would be and he said, about hand size, lol.. I guess he likes to feel what he is doing as well as being able to see it on the screen and work with the lap instruments. My incision is about 4 inches long with a small one above my belly button and another small one on my right side. I did go for a re-check today and he was happy with my progress and also assured that the icky pains were normal.. and that the incision is doing what it is supposed to. I finally got rid of the steri strip tape too, yeah!!

I worked today for the first time since surgery.. it felt so good .. (although painful..) to do the things that make me worthwhile.

The surgeon also let me get a handicap hanger for 90 days as my job requires a lot of driving and stops with sometimes heavy loading and unloading often. Yeah again!

I hear that you forget the pain eventually.

Congratulations on your surgery and recovery going well!

Old 05-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
(male)

Tomjackie HB User

Hi everyone, I had this surgery last June 2009 when I was 42, yes it is normal to have those hard spots. I dont know if thats scar tissue already, but I know on my incision it is still hard and lumpy on the surgery site. I have a 5 inch scar below the belt another 2 inch on right side and a little hole on left side. Also when he opened me up, he saw a hernia and fixed that through the belly button, 2 for the price of 1. He took out 10 inches of my sigmoid colon. I still have scattered diverticula throughout my colon, but this was very thickened and infected. I pretty much eat anything know except nuts. I love eggplant, so i will never give that up. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me and I will try to help you. Feel better. Tom:

Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
(female)

fattyboombah HB User

Hey TomJackie--and everyone else--

I'm a 26 y/o Crohn's kid looking at a resection. Ironically, I'm in medical school, and doing it over my winter break before I take the first part of my license exam because its the only time I'm going to have a few weeks off for a loooong time.

My question is: how long until you guys were off the opioids? I have a pretty decent ability to suck it up and put pain behind me, but obviously I've had my share of HOLY GOD I NEED DILAUDID RIGHT NOW moments. My surgery is in December and I just want this thing out. It's in my sigmoid colon and I'm hoping it'll be done lap.

Thanks so much for all your advice!

Last edited by fattyboombah; 09-13-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
(female)

PenneyLoafer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyboombah View Post
Hey TomJackie--and everyone else--

I'm a 26 y/o Crohn's kid looking at a resection. Ironically, I'm in medical school, and doing it over my winter break before I take the first part of my license exam because its the only time I'm going to have a few weeks off for a loooong time.

My question is: how long until you guys were off the opioids? I have a pretty decent ability to suck it up and put pain behind me, but obviously I've had my share of HOLY GOD I NEED DILAUDID RIGHT NOW moments. My surgery is in December and I just want this thing out. It's in my sigmoid colon and I'm hoping it'll be done lap.

Thanks so much for all your advice!
Hello fatty: I was only on morphine a day or two.
They sent me home with a tylenol with codine-type pill which I took for a day or two.
I know from a lot of experience, Dr.s overtreat pain.
I put myself on tylenol and weened off that over about a 4-5 week period.
Mine was a laparascopic sigmoidectomy which as you know is much less painful than
a regular mid-line incision. I was very concerned about pain, but after literally the first 6 days, it was tolerable. Prior to that it wasn't that bad either, only hurting upon moving around.

Last edited by PenneyLoafer; 09-13-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: need to add something.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
(female)

reinatj HB User

Hi everyone, I had my bowel resection done on 8/27/10. I am 3 weeks out. It was done Laparascopic. I am feeling preety good. I do get tired fast. I am having an issue with one of the incisions. It is the 3" one where the bowel was removed. After a few day od being home it started to drain. First it was clear fluid with a little blood. I called the doctor and they put me on Levequin for 5 days. I finished that aweek ago. I have been back and forth to the doctor because i get so scared when i see all this drainage. It went from clear to yellow. The last time i was there he applied silver nitrat to the opening. That was done Thursday. Since then it is draining more. Today i see some blood with it. They told me the drainage would look black from the silver nitrate, and it does. The doctor said it is from a stitch that is inside and this may happen until it disolves. I am just so worried about it. He said it is not infected so I am not taking anything for it. Has anyone had this happen to them? There is no pain with this. it does feel hard. I see the doctor again on 9/29. Unlees it get worse. They said if the draine looks green or the area feels hot to the touch i am to call them. I have had a few surgeries with large incisions and i have never had this happen. Any suggestion from anyone would be a big comfort to me.

Thank you
Terry

Old 09-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
(female)

PenneyLoafer HB User

I did not have this happen sorry. I know it's easy for me to say try not to worry ... but try not to worry!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
(female)

deljo HB User

Reinatj: I had a resection in April. This was midline incision. The day I came home from the hosp. it started to drain. Went back to the surgeon 2 days later. She opened one of the stitches so it could drain. The hole was packed with packing tape and a gauze dressing put over. This had to be done every day. Thank goodness my daughter was willing to do this as the opening was low on my abdomen. This went on for 4 mionths. The surgeon said I was doing fine. I got tired of this and made an appointment at a wound healing center. I found out this was not normal. I had a fistulagram to find out if the hole was attached to the intestines, thank goodness it wasn't. I too had a hard ball like a goose egg on my tummy. The wound Dr. said it could be a stitch but when he manulapted it there was pus coming out of the hole. I had surgery two weeks ago to clean out the lump and close the drain hole. This was 5 months to the day of the original surgery. I'm getting the final stitches out today. My advice to you is keep an eye on it and don't be afraid to seek other help, after all its your body. I would still be draining and packing and changing dressings daily if I had believed the original surgeon. By the way, I still love her. She did a great job on the resection. good luck

Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
(female)

reinatj HB User

deljo, Thank you for the information. I am seeing my surgeon on Wednesday. I will be asking a lot of questions on this. My draining has stopped. very little on bandage. But I am concerned about it. I don't feel any lump. I did not have to do all that you had to do. One thing that drives me crazy is that my tummy itiches. all i want to do is scratch, which i know i can't. So I just rub it.

Thank you,
Terry

Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
(female)

texasgma HB User

i had open surgery on the 29th of july and i am still in pain. i am about to have another ct scan to find out what the problem is. i should not still be hurting. good luck!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
(female)

reinatj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgma View Post
i had open surgery on the 29th of july and i am still in pain. i am about to have another ct scan to find out what the problem is. i should not still be hurting. good luck!
So sorry to hear you are in pain. I have to say I was never really in any pain. I only had discomfort from the incision sites. I took 600 mg of mortrin and that seemed to do the trick. Only a couple of day I did have gas paines, but I took gas x for that. I hope you feel better real soon..

Closed Thread