It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

Katja09 HB User
taking out my sigmoid colon and placing mesh

hello there!

On september 9th..they are taking out my sigmoid colon and placing mesh on abdominal wall.....i had many abdominal surgerys , and years of diverticulitis...i am scared, wondering what it will be like , but i also am so looking forward not to have to worry about when the next attack is coming , and how many days it will last,....i am hopingto learn lots on these boards!hopefully this will be the last surgery in a while for me...

Last edited by Administrator; 05-03-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
(female)

Suzzana HB User
Re: laparoscopic sigmoid resection

Hi Kat...I am still doing well and can't tell you how much better I feel...I am very thankful that I decided to do the surgery, a GREAT relief to not have to "wonder" when it is going to get me again! I spent years trying to eat and not eat the right things so as not to have an attack and now I think there's really nothing long term you can do but the surgery even though we all try our best NOT to wind up with the surgery. I was pretty sore just after surgery but it really only hurt if I had to get out of bed at first, but that pain was not unbearable at all. In fact, I was surprised at how much pain I didn't have that I had expected. My bowels were loose at first but back to normal after a few weeks....be careful what you choose to eat after you are off of your initial soft diet. Don't jump right into a high fiber diet for a while...ease into that. If there's one thing that I wish I had known before the surgery/recovery was that beef was going to be difficult to digest. Several I know who are post resection cannot eat beef at all...my first hamburger (I've had 3 since April) really made me sick and shut down my system for about a week...no bms, pain, and bloating. I finally realized that I should not eat beef in any form. Other than that I have been able to eat whatever I want without worry. After a month I had had no pain at all and realized that there was always some pain there that I had learned to accept as "normal". Good luck to you...you will be so glad you finally had the resection!!
hugs to you,
Suzzana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
(female)

Katja09 HB User

suzzana, thank you for youe reply..this is awsome!i been reading a lot of things on here , and is good to see how great you are doing !having had years of tummy trouble , as you know , its hard to imagine it will be actually getting better soon...wow..next week be here in no time.Hey , if i misspell stuff , its because i am german ..lol...just wanted to point that out...heheheh..since i know , i usually do....
i read before , when you wrote about the beef...so i already informed hubby , that a lot of things will change...you know , i think it be real good ...this might realy help me with my health all around...my kids(17,15,and 8)dont like to see me ill (no kids like that), and my son specially does not want his mom cut on ...but i assured him , that the doctors are trying to make be better....what a blessing they are....
i have a smile on my face , hearing from you , that the pain is ok , and the stools will get better , and that you glad you did this....
soon i be there...i know all about the "constant"pain...somthing in there always hurts , scartissue , something....always aware of something "there"...be glad when its gone..
the mesh part , i am not sure about....i had a large mesh piece put(10by12) in in 06 to fix a 6 inch hernia...man , that surgery hurt , and was one of my worst....had quit a few before...one had me septic in a hospital for 30 days.....
thank you again...hope to talk with you regular!, katja

Last edited by Katja09; 09-04-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
(female)

Suzzana HB User

Hey Kat....are you home yet??? Thinking about you and wishing you well...write when you feel like it. It's about time to head out of that hospital!!!

hugs,
Suzzana

Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
(female)

Katja09 HB User

yes , i made it..i got home yesterday..so i was in 7 days...It went pretty well..the 1st day , after they moved me from recovery up to the floor , i kept sleeping to deep , not waking up , and bloodpressure dropping way low..so they moved me for a day and a night into the Icu , TO WATCH ME....THEY REMOVED LIKE 14INCHES OF MY SIGMOID COLON , AND SOMETHING ELSE CAUSED BY SURGERY LAST YEAR...HE SAID IT WAS ATTACHED TO AB WALL , AND BLADDER , AND I AM SO SO LUCKY TO HAVEit out.....it wa about 4 hour surgery , and he said quit difficult..he tolled my hubby , that he is surprised that i have not been in on a emergency base before, since it was so ugly...he had to make a large incision all the way up and down ..lap was not possible due to aall the pther adhesions ....i was very nauseatrd a lot, and had after 3 days a little bowlemovement(runny)..nothing yet since...so i am worried....but keep hoping...i could hardly eat nothing till about sunday..and then only a little....
i sure will keep you updated.Katja

Old 09-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
(female)

Suzzana HB User

Hey Kat...sounds like you are doing very well....your appetite will pick up but I would stay on a soft diet/low residue for a while yet.. My doc wanted me to eat mostly all soup for the first week or so with almost no fiber. I wouldn't worry if you are taking a stool softener things should be ok..my doc said to take some Milk of Magnesia if I didn't start having bms. He let me go home without having a bm in the hospital.

I also had 14 inches of sigmoid colon removed...he thought he was going to remove 6" or so but found so much scar tissue wrapped around the sigmoid area that he had to remove much more. He said that was from a previous hysterectomy which was in 1991...so I had a real mess in there, too. My hubby said that my blood pressure was very low in recovery and when they moved me to the regular room. He said they were checking it every few minutes, but I don't remember any of that so I don't know exactly how long that lasted. I had several days of nausea while in the hospital, too...the iv meds helped some but it cleared up on the third day post surgery. I don't think I ate too much at all in the hospital...mostly jello I think. After a week or ten days I was STARVING so I bet your appetite will pick up shortly. The first real thing I had to eat was a BBQ sandwich/pork and it didn't bother me at all!!!

Glad you are home and it's all behind you...keep in touch!

hugs,
Suzzana

Old 12-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #7
(female)

Suzzana HB User

Hi Marimc,

I had my resection last April and because of scar tissue my surgeon had to remove 14" and did it laparoscopically. I had also been suffering for five or six years and had been misdiagnosed at each attack until 2006. The dr had difficulty with the colonoscopy on me, too, as scar tissue from a previous hysterectomy had wrapped completely around the sigmoid and constricted it...so that along with diverticulitis had me pretty sick and the attacks were coming closer together. Long plane trips also set me off with an attack..with the pressure changes my dr said that caused me to have a blocked bowel and all the scar tissue didn't help that at all. My last attack was in Feb 09 after flying home and luckily a new colorectal surgeon was called in after I was admitted to the hospital. I was so afraid of this surgery that I would rather have had another attack, but nothing I was doing by not eating those questionable foods was helping. After his explanation of the surgery I decided that I really didn't have a choice so I made the decision. The surgery wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected and even with 14" removed I didn't have a bag. I had the pain pump while in the hospital but only used it for the first day and a half. Otherwise I really only had soreness when I coughed or when getting in and out of bed. The surgery was on a Friday and I was home Tuesday morning. I felt better from the start, was careful with diet at first, low fiber, but later I found that I could eat most anything except beef which still bothers me. Overall, I wish I had decided on surgery years back, and it is such a relief to not worry about when the next attack would hit me. Good luck to you...any questions you have please do ask!
hugs,
Suzzana

Old 12-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
(female)

marimc HB User

Thanks, your response helped a lot. I guess it's different for everyone. I go to post op Dec 29 then Surgery Jan 6. I have been a smoker for 50 years and stopped cold turnkey this Tuesday as I don't think it's a good idea to be hooked on nicotine while recuperating from this major surgery! I have a question..did you get an epidural is that what they call the pain pack? My sister got one and had a terrible headache all the while. Her colon was punctured during a routine colonoscopy...so I guess nothing is certain..she was perfectly healthy, then wham, not so! I'm hoping my guardian angel watches over me during the whole thing and things don't get complicated. Your reply was very encouraging as you seemed to handle it all very well. Hope I can figure out how to use this cite to get any reply. your last message came direclty to my email from no-reply@healthborads.com..should I have replied to that email instead of this thread? I'm new at this stuff!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
(female)

Suzzana HB User

Hi Mari
I did not have an epidural for the resection and had a general anesthetic. I did have an epidural for my hysterectomy years ago with some sedation so I was not "awake" during surgery. They left the epidural in for a couple of days back then so I wouldn't have to take as much pain medication...maybe that is what the "pain pack" is?? To be truthful I would rather have taken the pain meds as I thought the epidural became very uncomfortable after the surgery...hard to lay on your back in a hospital bed with an epidural in. For the resection I had a "pain pump" that I could control with a button every 6 seconds if I needed that much pain relief. I was really surprised at how much pain I didn't have because I thought it would be much more painful. As soon as I was assessed in recovery and was awake enough to answer them when they asked how the pain was, they gave me pain meds and I was comfortable. Once I got home I only needed a couple of pain meds a day as I was more sore than anything else. There was a "pulling" feeling that started when I got tired and usually in the evening, but it was easily controlled with the med.

Good for you in quitting smoking!! I quit in 1999 and surprised everyone who knew me...I even surprised myself because I never really wanted to quit before that time. I can tell you that I never craved a cigarette after the initial withdrawal, can't stand the smell of it now...so the thought that "you will always miss them and want one" is so far from the truth for me.

When you get a notice in your email it means that someone has answered you on the forum so you can log on to the forum and answer there. If you have posted anything on a subject and there are other postings you will get an email every time so there's no need to try to reply on that email....just check the forum.

I know this is the scariest surgery I ever had, but it was not nearly as bad as I had expected....hang in there, this pre-surgery time I think was harder than post because you really don't know what to expect. I bet your surgery will go well and you'll be so glad you did it!! Did your sister have emergency surgery as soon as her colon was perforated during the colonoscopy?? It is difficult to compare emergency resections to scheduled surgery as so many things are different. Please ask any and all questions you are worrying about...I would be happy to answer them for you.

Suzzana

Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
(female)

marimc HB User

Hi Suzzana, You are helping me deal with the pre-surgery jitters, thank you. I'm 67 and don't want to do this when I'm 70 or 80! Or worse in an emergency. I was thinking the epidural in the back would be very uncomfortable .. I will ask lots of questions at my preop appointment 12/29. I've never seriously tried to stop smoking since I started in 1962 so I'm quite proud of myself. Congrats to you ... 10 years now!!! I don't know if you are an animal lover but I am using a lot of the Dog Whisperer's techniques ... silly me. I just love Cesar Millan. I'm the calm, assertive pack leader of my brain and I am telling it I will no longer feed it nicotine. Then I am also doing my yoga, meditating, exercising, deep breathing and drinking lots of water. Anyway, I do seriously want to stop this time!!! It's only been 6 days and I don't stink of smoke or cough and my teeth are getting whiter!! But I do need to stay with the program because I'm sure it's very easy to run out a buy a pack real quick in a weak moment.
The other thing I'm worried about is reading all the other posts about how much trouble people have with bowel movements after the surgery. I hope things don't get worse instead of better. How's that going for you?
My sister went home and a few days later passed out in the bathroom and was rushed to the hospital. She's lucky she didn't die and the sad thing was there was no way she could sue the doctor, no one would take the case. They did emergency surgery and she had a temporary colostopy or whatever you call the bag thing. She talked to a lot of lawyers and they all said it would not be anything she could collect on. She is fine now and has gone on with her life, but she was not a happy camper for a few years. Geez, I guess we just have to keep the faith and pray for the best outcome. I am prayin' a lot!!! Thanks for listening, Marimc

Old 12-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
(female)

Suzzana HB User

Mari...You are doing GREAT with your smoking...6 days congratulations!! You are definitely on your way...what a great idea to use Cesar Milan's training methods on yourself. It's too bad that so many people do not understand what he means with his calm, assertive pack leader. We are owned by Sadie, the very smart Border Collie...she knows everything that we say and is an amazingly intelligent. She is 8 years old and still surprises us with new things all the time!! We are big time dog lovers, too!!

I would advise you to take it slowly after your surgery....don't add fiber too soon...but do add it gradually. My bowels were loose immediately after surgery, not uncontrollable, but I felt like I needed to stay close to the bathroom. Over the first month my surgeon had me take stool softeners, and by the end of the first month I was back to "my normal". Before surgery I was usually constipated, but have been much better since the surgery. You may find that certain foods bother you...the big surprise for me was beef. The first hamburger I ate felt like it shut down my colon completely for about a week...no bms for a week!! I tried beef several more times and it made me feel like I ate a brick so I avoid beef even now. Even a small amount still bothers me...my surgeon said that I may be able to handle beef after the one year mark, but I really don't miss it. I am 58 and have a family history of heart disease so my cholesterol dropped with my no beef diet. I am able to eat chicken, pork, fish, shrimp etc. with no problem. I have discovered that if I eat something fried in a transfat type oil I get cramps and diarrhea so that doesn't agree with me either. I don't seem to have any problem with dairy or wheat products.

My doctor wanted me to eat 30 gms of fiber daily, but I do not do well with that large amount...it's just too much for me creating bloating and discomfort and seems to be constipating me more. I do eat a Kashi cereal every morning that is high fiber, I use a whole grain bread, and eat fruit and beans regularly but come up short of the 30 mgs. Some doctors will tell you to "eat whatever you want" soon after the surgery, but I can't stress enough on "going slowly" when adding things back in your diet. I ate soups for the first week, lots of tea, and moved on to pasta after that. He also didn't want me to eat raw fruits and veggies for the month before and after surgery...so I really missed having salads. Now salads are no problem and I really feel better if I have a salad often.

I have not had anything that felt like a diverticulitis attack...not even a twinge...so that is a huge relief...no more worrying about that! With your yoga and exercise I bet you will do great with this surgery!! Do ask any questions that you can think of...I would be happy to help!!

Take care,
Suzzana

Last edited by Suzzana; 12-21-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: paragraph out of order

Closed Thread