It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
(male)

drlguy HB User
Blood in my poop

Hey guys I have a question. First off I'll let you know that all these problems started after I had my gallbladder removed in September 2009. They did an upper GI and found that I had gallstones so it came out.

Since then I've been going to the bathroom and theres been blood in my stool for awhile now. It seems to happen about once a month. When it happens it's usually with a harder bm, makes the toilet bowel red and is on the toilet paper. It's usually a maroon color or a little lighter. Sometimes with a harder BM, and sometimes with some diarrhea.

My Dr. checked me out with a flexo sigmoid scopy and he says it's hemorrhoids.

I'm 28 years old. When I was 24 I had an exam and they found Polyps. Yesterday morning I had a big bm that was pretty dark. There was no blood, and the stool was solid but dark in color. Last night I had diarrhea with a little bit of blood in it shortly after eating. My stool was like water but there was still blood. I know some of the liquidey stool would be dark because I had tomato soup that night with grilled cheese. Also, another thing that freaks me out is theres these long stringey things in my diarrhea. Almost like a very thin, chewed up straw or a piece of thick string. (I don't know what to compare it to.) I don't know what it is but I'm freaking out thinking I'm pooping out my billiary tract or stomach lining or something.

I was very nauseous after this happened for the rest of the night. I'm convinced somethings very wrong with my digestive tract.

The Dr. said that the only thing he could do is banding for the hemorrhoids but that even if he does that, they'll come back.

Anyway thats all the stuff I've been going through. I guess I mainly have some questions

1. Is this just hemorrhoids or something more?
2. What are the stringey things in my poo?
3. Should I ask for an upper GI, or another barium X-ray?
4. Should I get another colonoscopy?

If you guys have any idea or have had a similar experience please talk to me.

Last edited by drlguy; 05-11-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
(male)

drlguy HB User
Re: Blood in my poop

I'm pretty scared about this. Does anyone have advice?

Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #3
(male)

hemmy HB User

Having your gallbladder removed can, in some people, cause drastic changes in bowel movements(discoloration,loose stool, diarrhea etc.).

As far as the blood goes it could just be from your hemms or it could be something more...

Have u asked your doctor about having another colonoscopy done?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
(male)

drlguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmy View Post
Having your gallbladder removed can, in some people, cause drastic changes in bowel movements(discoloration,loose stool, diarrhea etc.).

As far as the blood goes it could just be from your hemms or it could be something more...

Have u asked your doctor about having another colonoscopy done?
I had the flexo sigmoidscopy done and he said the bleeding was being caused by the hemorrhoids. I'm still scared though. I keep bleeding once a month almost like clockwork and it seems to be getting more frequent. I think I'm just going to get the banding done so I don't lose my mind. I get really depressed / anxious when I bleed. I could post pictures but I don't know if it's against the rules.

Last edited by drlguy; 05-13-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
(male)

hemmy HB User

I had the banding done a few years ago and it was successful. I have hems again unfortunately but it's mainly my fault.

Make sure your bowel movements are soft. Don't strain as that will cause bleeding(too much pressure).

As for the stringy material u think is in your stool, it could be undigested food.

Folks who have had their gallbladder out sometimes develop a thing called "dumping syndrome".

There's lots of info on the net about it.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
(male)

drlguy HB User

My hemorrhoids don't bother me so much, as long as they don't bleed. You said you had it done a year ago and they went away for that long? I may just get it done then. I'd rather have a year with no worry than months of anxiety.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
(male)

hemmy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlguy View Post
My hemorrhoids don't bother me so much, as long as they don't bleed. You said you had it done a year ago and they went away for that long?
No, i said i had it done a few yrs ago. Almost 5 to be exact.
Everything was fine for a few yrs after but i had some GI problems and they developed again.

If they are not bothering u that much i would think twice about having it done. Depending on the grade of your hems, u may not need it as if they're not that bad they can be controlled by diet. If u don't have any flareups, the bleeding should diminish also.

Last edited by hemmy; 05-13-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
(male)

drlguy HB User

Quote:
No, i said i had it done a few yrs ago. Almost 5 to be exact.
Everything was fine for a few yrs after but i had some GI problems and they developed again.

If they are not bothering u that much i would think twice about having it done. Depending on the grade of your hems, u may not need it as if they're not that bad they can be controlled by diet. If u don't have any flareups, the bleeding should diminish also.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get it done if you've been good for almost 5 years. Seriously it makes me depressed, stressed and I can't focus at work. I keep worrying about cancer and polyps and other scary things. Thank you so much for replying though. It's nice to know I could get this simple procedure and hopefully stop what I've been going through.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
(male)

hemmy HB User
Post Re: Blood in my poop

Your quite welcome and good luck.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
(male)

drlguy HB User

Quote:
Your quite welcome and good luck.
Hey Hemmy, how many times did you have to go back to the doctor after the first banding thing? They told me I could have to go up to 3 times.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
(male)

hemmy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlguy View Post
Hey Hemmy, how many times did you have to go back to the doctor after the first banding thing? They told me I could have to go up to 3 times.
I had 3 hems and went 4 different times. They were spaced out about a month apart. I had to go twice for the last one because it was very large.

I don't know how many u have but believe me, u would not want to get more than one band at a time. There is some pain involved with this(after the first day i was fine).

Old 05-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
(male)

drlguy HB User

Sorry to pry Hemmy, but I'm 28 years old and was wondering how old you were when you started having issues with bleeding. Did it freak you out too? And what did you do to fix it?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
(male)

hemmy HB User

I was about your age if i remember right. I was certainly concerned but unfortunately i didn't do anything about at the time and about 3 yrs later i ended up in the ER with 3 raging hems, each about the size of a quarter that needed immediate surgery.

Moral of the story is take care of it now, do not ignore it.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
(male)

drlguy HB User

Hey Hemmy, I had a question for you.

I had the banding done and on the 2nd day I noticed something black that felt like a small balloon sticking out of me. The doc said it was the hemorrhoid.

Today, day 4 I found the band in the bath when I was bathing. I looked again with a mirror and now theres a black, semi raised mostly flat spot where it was. I don't think I saw the hemorrhoid fall off though.

Is this how it heals normally? I didn't think I would be able to see an internal hemorrhoid. I'm worried this is a clot or something that developed. I'm not in too much pain but it freaks me out to see this black thing in me not knowing what it is. Did you experience anything like this? Sorry for the grossness.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #15
(male)

hemmy HB User

Seems perfectly normal to me. I saw my bands in the toilet after bowel movement a few days later and i would say what u are seeing is where the hemorrhoid was(as when thy are banded the blood supply is cut off so they wither and die) and it's just the healing process.

As long as u are not in my pain, you should be fine.

Closed Thread