It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
(female)

LoTechGal HB User
Question hemorrhoid surgery with rectocele

Hi. I'm new and wondering if anybody has any advise. I have external hemorrhoids about 2 inches in diameter that are becoming a problem. The discomfort is bearable right now but cleaning is like trying to clean peanut butter from a cauliflower and if I try too hard, I bleed. My G.P. sent me to a general surgeon for a consult thinking I just had skin tags. (He didn't look.) He also said that surgery was very painful and should be avoided at all costs. The surgeon checked out the situation inside and out and said the hemorrhoids were as bad as they come and recommended surgery. I have previously had a hysterectomy in 1974 but now, the lower bowel folds forward into the vagina and back again and will protrude from the vagina when I cough. This is called a rectocele and the ob/gyn told me 2 years ago that corrective surgery was up to me but would become necessary if I was having to use my finger in my vagina twice a week in order to press on the bowel to empty it. I have only had to do that twice ever so thought I could live with it. Luckily, I am seldom constipated but still have to do some fancy manoevering to empty the bowel. I don't push down - just use the muscles in the buttocks first in a forward position and then while leaning back. I understand that the rectocele should be surgically corrected at the same time as the hemorrhoids and think that these surgeries are inevitable but I am worried that they may do more harm than good. I worry about when I am too old to do what I need to in order to empty the bowel and to keep the hemorrhoids clean. Also, with the size of the hemorrhoids, I worry about sudden unbearable pain if they get twisted. I'm sure I can take bad pain for a couple of weeks if these surgeries will do the job. Also, my mother and my father's father died of colon cancer. Does anyone know of any alternatives to these surgeries or is the eventual outcome worth the risk?

LoTechGal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
(female)

karmahelpme HB User
Re: hemorrhoid surgery with rectocele

Hi LTG,
Sorry to hear you're having such trouble. I enjoyed your description of trying to clean oneself after a BM!
This condition is a nightmare, but yours sounds much more advanced than mine was. I had a few smaller piles that I had removed. I had a very positive experience with the surgery, although it was something I never want to have to repeat. I am not sure what factors play into recovery, but I imagine it gets harder later in life. I have read many horrible recovery stories on this board, but a few good ones too. I can't determine what makes some bad and others decent.
If you decide to go through with the surgery, please read TacomaGuys Recovery Guide he posted on this board. It is an excellent account of what happens and he offers great advice.
I hope you are trouble free very soon!
K

Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

LoTechGal HB User
Re: hemorrhoid surgery with rectocele

Thanks for the advice. I go to see a gynecologist at the end of June. My bowel surgeon says that he doesn't do rectocele surgeries but he can co-ordinate with the gyne. so there is only one anesthetic. I guess if they both specialize in one thing each, they ought to be good at it. It may also depend on whether or not I need some gyne. repair to prevent the same thing happening again. My uterus had dropped quite a bit before it was removed. Gravity can be a son of a gun with aging.

Closed Thread