It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

bbleigh HB User
painful cramping, mucousy bloody stools

I have been to two different gastro docs, had a colonoscopy, a flex sig., and no one can give me an answer to what is going on. If you have any ideas about what is wrong with me please help. I get these episodes where I start having severe lower abdominal cramping I go to have a BM and I get shaky, dizzy hot sweaty feel like I'm going to pass out, and sometimes I vomit. I will have diarreah and then I'll go lay down and feel okay for a bit. Then it will start all over. After a couple of times the stool will no longer look like stool at all but mucousy blood. This goes on for a couple of days and then just disappears. I have never noticed it happening in conjunction with anything I eat it just comes out of nowhere and is extremely painful. So painful I can't talk and almost can't even breathe. Very comparable to being in labor. This has been happening off and on for around 8-10 years. Any ideas???

Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
(female)

Snuggypoop HB User
Re: painful cramping, mucousy bloody stools

Sounds like Ulcerative Coliltis to me. I was just diagnosed and your symptoms are very similar to mine..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Has your doctor taken stool samples and biopsies during the colonoscopies as well and done a thorough check for invaders?

Has your doctor checked for CMV (cytomegalovirus)...it mimics UC in the bloody stool/ulcerations and would flare and regress. I don't think it follows the "pattern" of UC, however...but one can have both.

Do you have copies of all the tests you've had done as of late?

I have UC...and if you have those white-knuckling bms like you're pooing out a watermelon and it's only a teeny blob of stuff...I'd say it's either UC or Crohn's...but definitely your rectum is inflamed and spasming.

What medications are you on? What have you been on in the past?

Makes no sense that you've seen gastro docs and they're clueless...what have they commented or surmised or diagnosed you with?

It's not food that causes the bleeding and bms as you're having...

quincy

Old 05-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
(female)

bbleigh HB User

Quincy- Thanks for the quick reply.They didn't take any stool samples or biopsies. I don't believe I was ever checked for CMV either. The first time it happened the first doc thought it was UC at first but after my flex sig. didn't think so. I think he just said it was colitis, but not ulcerative. They never gave me any suggestions on how to keep it from happening or anything. Then I switched docs and he just gave me the spiel about eating more fiber, drinking water, etc. These are things I already do. These are definitely spasms but no one will really label it or tell me anything to do about it. What do you do for UC?
The only medicines I take are vitamins, probiotics and my thyroid hormones.
Does stress have anything to do with this maybe? I'm under a lot of stress currently and thought maybe that could explain why it's happening again.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....I take Asacol and use Salofalk retention enemas, both are 5-ASA medications.

How many times a day are you having bms?

Are you sure that with the first doc who did your c-scope that you didn't have biopsies done? Can you get a copy of his visual report...well, better yet, try to get it.

Colitis.....well, inflammation of the colon. Not a diagnosis unless it's cleared that you have NO invaders, infection or virus. UC is usually diagnosed after an elimination process.

The spasming...is it when you're having a bm and then afterward?

Bleeding isn't normal....unless one has hemmies or maybe a fissure that's causing it.

Did you happen to have any polyps in your colon?

You do need to go back to one of the GIs and have further testing done. I'd not be comfortable with "colitis" and I was bleeding.

Do you happen to smoke?

quincy

Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
(female)

bbleigh HB User

These bad bloody episodes are really rare, maybe once a year or less. Since I've been taking probiotics my BMs have been pretty regular and I haven't had as much constipation as I had in the past. The spasms happen before and during a BM. I really haven't had a bowel movement since the day before yesterday. The only thing that's been happening all day yesterday is cramping and a feeling like I need to go but nothing comes out most of the time. When something does come out it's just bloody mucous. I do have hems but this is too much blood to be coming from there.
I don't smoke. I'm trying to get an appointment with a new doc today and am considering going back to one of the old ones as well. I'm going to call them both today and see if I can get copies of my reports. I was so young the first time I had a flex. sig. I didn't even think to ask for copies of my stuff. Now that I'm older (and have already had a cancer diagnosis, thyroid) I know to get all that stuff. The second flex. sig did say he saw some polyps but couldn't get them so he left them alone. However, I then switched docs and had a colonoscopy and he didn't see polyps.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Interesting turn of events for you, but still needing a diagnosis.
Regarding rectal inflammation and the urges to go you're having...they are classic with UC, with constipation being a symptom when the inflammation is low in the rectum.

When you had the c-scope before....did you have lots of biopsies taken?

You need to have another one I would think, lots of biopsies and especially with polyps.

There are pseudopolyps associated with UC, however.....

Yes, results copies are necessary.

Internal hemorrhoids can cause the urge to go....but I don't think spasming is an aspect...there would be outright pain. Difficult to differentiate sometimes when there are multi problems going on.

Hope you get it figured out and definitely keep us posted.

Being proactive and creating a list of pertinent questions is a must.

As well....ask for blood tests that can help lead you to a diagnosis.

Have you been treated for your Thyroid cancer? Did you have your thyroid removed?

quincy

Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
(female)

bbleigh HB User

I just got back from the GI doc. He said it sounds like ischemic colitis to him. He can't be 100% but is pretty confident that is what it is. After looking over the first Flex. Sig. notes from back in 2001 (my first episode) they had said back then that it was most likely ischemic colitis caused by birth control pills. They had taken biopsies (something I can't believe I didn't remember) and everything looked normal. I had immediately stopped taking the Pill but I still have the episodes nearly 10 years later. They said if that's what it is there's nothing that can be done. The docs in that group are going to talk it over and decide if I should swallow the camera pill or do some other tests. All of my previous lab results were normal. The funny thing is that the flex. sig. I had in March of 08 showed a small benign polyp that wasn't removed but when I had a colonoscopy in Nov. 08 there was no sign of any polyps or anything else. My thyroid was removed in 08 due to the cancer. The doc today didn't feel that my thyroid had anything to do with these episodes. So although I'd like a diagnosis, having a diagnosis with no treatment is pretty frustrating. However, I do have all of my reports now so that's good if I want to see a new doc. Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ischemic colitis, yes...I know there's no "cure" for it....it's a very complicated thing to have.

The pill cam would be a good thing to do....

I would suggest doing a LOT of research on it....a LOT. Weird about the polyp...could have been an inflammation polyp...

It's good you're being monitored.

Thanks for the update.
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 05-21-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
(female)

leiwinja HB User

bbleigh,

I've experienced the EXACT same thing, I was wondering if you have found out anymore about your condition. I see my doctor tomorrow, but I am not very hopeful from what you have said. Please let me know. Thank you!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
(male)

adalcard HB User

Hi I used to have the same symptoms. I had mucus in my stools, very painful cramping, watery stools, and worse symptoms with stress. However I couldn't eat fat at all. I had a candida infection. I didn't have blood in my stools, so I don't know if you have it... but my doctor also prescribed me hyomax to help with the spasms before we figured it out, it really helped me, maybe it will help you too.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
(male)

adalcard HB User

Sorry if it posts this twice. I am new here. I had some of the same problems, but no blood in the stool. I had a candida infection. You probably don't have that but my doctor prescribed me hyomax which really helped control the spasms and pain.

Closed Thread