It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
(male)

balzac HB User
Come-and-go stomach cramps and liquid diarrhea

Hi, this is my first post here

I've been having weird stomach cramps and mostly liquid diarrhea since Wednesday night. It started out as weird stomach cramps that came and went every 15 to 30 minutes and every time I would go to the bathroom and some of the mostly liquid diarrhea would come out. I'd feel better for a few minutes, then I'd get the cramps again and I'd have to go to the bathroom again. They started out painful and more frequent on Wednesday but now they don't hurt as much and aren't as frequent. I also have very mild nausea but not enough to make me really feel like throwing up.

I did get a pretty painful stomachache after I ate lunch today that passed after I used the restroom. Now my stomach feels sort of uncomfortable and occasionally a very slight crampy feeling comes and goes. I'm afraid to eat anything else cause I'm pretty sure it'll lead to the come-and-go cramps/diarrhea again and I don't want to keep running to the bathroom every half hour.

Initially I thought it might be the Lactaid pill I tried because I looked up some info online and a lot of people talked about getting nauseated, stomach pains, and diarrhea after trying the particular pill I took. But most of them only have those symptoms for a few hours or a couple days at most.

I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can provide. Sorry this is so long, but I'm really freaking out right now.. These feel more like painful cramps than a stomachache which I've felt before in combination with diarrhea, but they've never lasted more than a couple days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Come-and-go stomach cramps and liquid diarrhea

Hi...it sounds like something you ingested....be it viral, bacterial or some sort of invader. Lots of stuff going around.

But, you mention you have diarrhea periodically....how often?

I doubt it's from one lactaid pill....or from what you ate at lunch. Anyone in your family that's been sick with something gastro related?

You could try adding a probiotic to help deal if it's something wonky to help get the intestinal flora back on track.

Are you taking any medications? anything new this past week?

What supplements are you taking? anything new?

Do you get periods of constipation before the diarrhea?

q

Last edited by quincy; 05-31-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
(male)

balzac HB User

Thanks for replying Quincy.

I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I do get diarrhea more frequently than the average person probably. I think it's a combination of a not particularly healthy diet and irritable bowel syndrome, but I'm usually gassy for most of the day and my BMs (bowel movements) are diarrhea like. It's not necessarily a painful, stomachache diarrhea, but my BMs aren't firm. Firmness varies from day to day but usually it's soft and at least 3 days a week I have a diarrhea-like BM, usually in the morning.

I live in a dorm and the only food I eat is from the dining hall. If it was something in the food it probably would've affected a lot of people. If I wanted to try probiotics though, where would I be able to get them and what kind? Are they just called probiotics?

I've been looking up info online and do you know if it could possibly be a fecal impaction? I feel like something may be blocking which would explain the mostly liquid diarrhea and stomach cramps, but I'm not usually constipated (I usually go 1 to 2 times a day without a problem).

I feel fine right now and have been for several hours with just a slightly weird cramping feel although that may be because I've been avoiding food. If I don't eat, my stomach is pretty much fine but I eventually get hunger pangs which feel pretty similar to the cramps. If I do eat, I start getting the cramps and the weird diarrhea again.

Sorry for the gross details and thanks for the help.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...nothing gross about the details...I have UC, so "poo" issues are part of it.

Diet, as simple as it can be...has a part in the activity of the digestive tract...as can stress.

I would firstly suggest you keep a food diary, you may easily find a culprit that you can try to avoid for a while. When I kept one, I used a normal notebook, the date on both the right and left sides. On the left page I wrote time and what I ate, on the right side I wrote time and symptoms. Usually, it takes a while for food to be processed, but liquids would go through faster. Some symptoms such as discomfort can be about 4 - 6 hours depending on if it's liquid or food...but bm symptoms can be about 8 - 12 hours, again depending on how fast things are moving through and what you consumed.

Impaction...that, you'll have to get checked out for sure, but inflammation can also cause that feeling as would hemmies. Where exactly do you feel the "blocking"?

There are a variety of probiotics...some you need to keep refrigerated, others you don't. Some can be verrrry pricey, others very reasonable. Do you have a fridge in your dorm room? Check out GNC or other health nutrition stores for options.

So, for your food intake and liquid intake....do you consume artificial sweeteners? maybe chew lots of gum? That in itself can cause diarrhea for many.

The other thing I was going to suggest is fibre supplements such as Metamucil (psyllium) capsules (which are easier to take and carry around than powder to mix in water). That will help bulk up the stool and hopefully some of the transit time, etc. They also help the probiotics work better.

I take my probiotics at night...for some can cause gas...plus I take medications, so I'd have to be too connected to a schedule..which I'm useless at.

quincy

Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
(male)

balzac HB User

I don't really know where I feel a blocking or if I even really feel one which might be a sign that I'm just being paranoid.

I do consume a lot of soda (consequence of buffet-style dining commons) but I haven't had any for the past couple of days just to be safe.

Unusual stomach cramps and liquidy diarrhea have stopped for the most part, but I do keep getting a stomachache and very small BM about two hours after I eat a meal, then I get a regular BM a few hours later. My stomach just seems all around out of whack. It feels more sensitive than usual, I feel (very) slight acidic/achey discomfort, unusual BMs in terms of consistency and frequency, and weirdly, no more gas but I am burping more I noticed.

I'll definitely look into keeping a food diary and the probiotics.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eating will start the peristalsis, so anything in the lower colon will eventually be on its journey to be out...lots of people use eating to encourage a bm.

Soda...ugh. I had some last night and today my left-side discomfort is obvious. I don't have diet drinks, but it's not something I consume except maybe once every few months. That, in itself, can be avoided....maybe choose iced tea if you're wanting something sweet.

Definitely avoid diet anything.

For sure you haven't had any bleeding?

You do need to get checked anyway by a GI and probably should have a colonoscopy. (I'm always drugged, but watch the whole thing on the monitor...very cool)

You could all in all have IBS....it can go up and down with constipation and diarrhea. REgulating your peristalsis with food intake, fibre and probiotics can help...yes, stress can exacerbate anything happening in the bowel.

Keep us posted as to how the food diary is going. The game's afoot Watson!

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 06-01-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
(female)

JLES HB User

Can anyone help me? I have pain inside my actual stomach really bad. I have been suffering from gastritis and acid reflux. I have recently also been diagnosed with having food poisoning with campylobacter which doesnt help as Ive had bad diarrhoea too. Im on antibiotics but the pain is really really bad in my stomach. I had my gallbladder out last October and my stomach hasnt been right since. Im awaiting test results and all this started from when I took anti inflammatory drugs last July. I just want this nightmare to end and my stomach to get back to normal. Anyone else going through this? How do I get my stomach right again?

Closed Thread