It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
(male)

TJ2009 HB User
Bowel Problems - Bowel not emptied fully

Hi I'm a 22 year old male from London England.

For a couple of months now I've been having this problem, and it's really annoying and drastically affecting my quality of life, as I am constantly thinking about it and can't go out and enjoy myself.

Whenever I go to the toilet and pass a stool, I seem to stop before I can completely empty my bowels. I don't believe this is constipation as the stools are not hard (my doctor thought it was constipation and told me to eat better, which i already was, but I'm sure its not), it's just that when I'm passing stools it suddenly feels like I can't push any more out, even though it's there. There is never any blood or anything like that, and I had a rectal exam (just with a finger) and was told there's no evidence of fissures or hemarroids or anything like that. It causes a lot of discomfort, enough so my mind is constantly drawn to that area for a long time afterwards and I can feel there is something there, but no actual pain as such.

More recently, I have noticed that sometimes after I urinate, there is a feeling of discomfort in the lower part of my penis, as if there is still a small amount of urine there that couldn't be expelled. I have no discomfort DURING urination, and no trouble starting urinating, a good flow etc. It's just after. I should say that I had a similar problem to this years ago and it eventually went away after the doctor couldn't find any problems, but the bowel problem is a new experience.

I have also noticed a decrease in sexual desire recently and I haven't had any erections, but I am experiencing a lot of problems and changes in my life and I believe this may be down to anxiety. People keep telling me all my health problems are just anxiety but I don't believe that, it seems like something is genuinely wrong and I don't know what to do.

I have no idea if the problems are related, I just know that it's driving me insane and its got to the stage when Im wondering if I can ever be normal again. Please help if you can.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
(female)

luckycharms HB User
Re: Bowel Problems - Bowel not emptied fully

I have obstructive defecation syndrome...basically I can't have a normal bm. There is a such thing as having an incomplete bm. I had several tests and they showed anismus, which is where the puborectalis muscle does not relax like it is supposed to for defecation. I also have rectal intussuseception, which is where my rectum collapses down onto itself, not allowing any gas or poop out....I also have a rectecele. You need to google imcomplete bm's and anismus. Men can get anismus....to find out if you have anything abnormal with the function of the rectum, you need to have diagnostic tests....

1.) a defegram, which is a moving xray that determines if your rectum relaxes for defecation. Embarassing, but well worth it to find out what the problem is. They basically place some thick barium into the rectum and have you push it out while they film the act. This will show if you have anismus. If this test reads normal, then you may need the tests below.

2.)anal manometry
3.)pudendal nerve studies
4.)EMG

I totally understand this consuming your life. it consumes my life too. Good luck and if you have anymore questions, just ask.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
(male)

TJ2009 HB User

I firmly believe what I have is pelvic floor dysfunction brought about by stress, as many of the symptoms seem very accurate and the descriptions of the discomfort seem to match my problem. I have been very stressed recently and encountered a lot of problems and big changes in my life, so I believe psychology has played a big part.

Has anybody else had experience of this dysfunction of the pelvic muscles? Will the problems go away when I am less stressed?

I feel better for knowing what it is, and knowing that relaxing may help me.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-03-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Have you tried taking some Normacol every day?

Its a packaged fibre supplement, plesant and easy to take, and might help you out.

I heaped dessertspponful once a day with a glass of water helped me out greatly.

You could find some pelvic floor excersises to stengthen those muscles and see if that helps.

Closed Thread