It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
(male)

Dave718 HB User
Frequent, irregular, loose, uncontrollable movements..

Hi, I'm new to the forums, and here in an attempt to start getting my life back on track. I'll spare you my unrelated psychological issues, aside from stating that the idea of arranging and attending an appointment at the doctor's is a terrifying prospect for me - hence I'm here rather than there.

About four years ago now (at the age of 21), I started to get frequent, irregular, loose, and virtually uncontrollable bowel movements on a daily basis. At the time I was heavily dependant upon alcohol as a social enabler, and I attributed the problem to this. I didn't stop drinking, however, and my life became crippled around the proximity and availability of a toilet. I could go to the toilet one minute, then have to return ten minutes later, and again ten minutes after that. I became virtually housebound, aside from work.

In the years since, I have become vegetarian, then vegan (for unrelated reasons), and finally quit alcohol a few months ago. Much to my surprise, nothing changed aside from the movements becoming less frequent - which is good, but the other issues remain crippling.

I'm at a loss as to what may be causing this, and after freeing myself from alcohol, desperately want to regain the rest of my independence.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks, Dave

Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
(male)

mmil HB User
Re: Frequent, irregular, loose, uncontrollable movements..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave718 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and here in an attempt to start getting my life back on track. I'll spare you my unrelated psychological issues, aside from stating that the idea of arranging and attending an appointment at the doctor's is a terrifying prospect for me - hence I'm here rather than there.

About four years ago now (at the age of 21), I started to get frequent, irregular, loose, and virtually uncontrollable bowel movements on a daily basis. At the time I was heavily dependant upon alcohol as a social enabler, and I attributed the problem to this. I didn't stop drinking, however, and my life became crippled around the proximity and availability of a toilet. I could go to the toilet one minute, then have to return ten minutes later, and again ten minutes after that. I became virtually housebound, aside from work.

In the years since, I have become vegetarian, then vegan (for unrelated reasons), and finally quit alcohol a few months ago. Much to my surprise, nothing changed aside from the movements becoming less frequent - which is good, but the other issues remain crippling.

I'm at a loss as to what may be causing this, and after freeing myself from alcohol, desperately want to regain the rest of my independence.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks, Dave
I highly recommend you try using Iberogast it is available over-the-counter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Dave,
I think the friendly bacteria in your intestinal tract is out of balance and needs to be corrected.

Eating yogurt, kefir and taking a probiotic supplement like PB-8 will help re-establish the friendly bacteria.

I have also read that drinking carrot juice will help but I must confess --I have never tried it.

I wish you well ---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-23-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
(male)

hploriking HB User

dave not being a jerk but
sounds like this has your quality of life in the dumpers (no pun intended)
how worse can a trip to a gi doc be
trust me they have seen everything before and nothing shocks them
some test might turn your life around
btw congrats on the stopping drinking

Old 01-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
(female)

Ktspirit4 HB User

I suggest lab work to check for C-DIFF.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

My experience with Gastro Doctors has not been too good. It seems that ever since the invention of fiber optics--- all thay want to do is do these expensive scope procedures --That is Colonoscopy and and scope your upper gastro system.

Where I live, the GI Doctors have set up centers or clinics to do these procedures and have cut hospitals out of the loop.
Some procedures are necessary but alot are not.

The diagnostic abilities of this group of doctors has changed in the last 20 years. As you can tell I certainly have not been satisfied.

The last time I had an EGD I asked the doctor for my stomach acid results-- He said -- "we don't do that any more"

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-24-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Typos

Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

I have the same problem, off and on. Usually in the morning hours. I'm lucky to be retired and can stay home on "on days" Regular and Gastro doctors are not much help. They find nothing wrong, telling me to eat more Fiber etc.
I wish I know what causes it, when I have to leave the house in the morning I always take an Immodium, which helps.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

MMIL, would you tell me what "Iberogast" is?
Thank you.

Closed Thread