It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

lori33 HB User
gas pain upper right stomach

I have been treating GERD and IBS. Today, after eating dinner I have gas pains upper right side stomach.Pantoprazole and dicyclomine medication are keeping GERD and IBS under control. The only side effect I now have is black stool. Could a bleeding peptic ulcer be the problem?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: gas pain upper right stomach

Hi...neither of the meds you take will cause black stool. You should contact the doctor and have stool samples done to check for occult blood.

When you wipe, is there any blood at all? is it black or does it appear very dark brown?

When you were diagnosed with GERD, did you have an upper endoscopy done?

ARe you by chance on any iron supplements? or any Pepto Bismol?

While there are some foods/supplements to cause the stool to be very dark or black....bleeding in the stomach, small intestine or upper colon can cause the black stool.

Don't wait to talk to the doc about it.

Oh, and regarding IBS, did you have a colonoscopy before diagnosis?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

lori33 HB User

I do not take pepto-bismal. I do take maalox, gaviscon and tagamet......some days all three. Year's ago I had similar pain symptoms (did not have a black/greenish stool or wipe). I had upper and lower GI's; barium swallow; kidney x-ray while being injected with a purple dye. Diagnosis: peptic ulcer(no bleeding)...... I was then put on medication and strict diet of high fiber and small meal intake (4/6 @ day). No spicy, fatty or acity foods and liquids. I do not drink alcohol of any sort but I am a smoker 1/2 pack @ day. Monday, I have an appt. with doctor and have stool samples that will be evaluated. Thank you for allowing me to talk to you. lori33

Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
(female)

lori33 HB User

I do not take pepto-bismal. I do take maalox, gaviscon and tagamet......some days all three. Year's ago I had similar pain symptoms (did not have a black/greenish stool or wipe). I had upper and lower GI's; barium swallow; kidney x-ray while being injected with a purple dye. Diagnosis: peptic ulcer(no bleeding)...... I was then put on medication and strict diet of high fiber and small meal intake (4/6 @ day). No spicy, fatty or acity foods and liquids. I do not drink alcohol of any sort but I am a smoker 1/2 pack @ day. Monday, I have an appt. with doctor and have stool samples that will be evaluated. Thank you for allowing me to talk to you. lori33

Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Wow, lots of meds. Hope the doc decides to also get you booked in for an upper scope to see what's going on.

You should absolutely get the tested for H. Pylori...apparently there are four tests..Blood antibody test: urea breath test; Stool antigen test; Stomach biopsy.

Considering all the meds you're on, if in fact it is h. pylori, one can be treated for it....but you'll probably have to be on ppi meds anyway, hopefully not as many.

Please let me know how the appointment goes. As well....do LOTS of research on GERD and causes, write a list of questions and be ready for your appointment.

quincy

Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
(female)

lori33 HB User
Smile Re: gas pain upper right stomach

quincy...... some good news!!! My blood test: normal results! ..... fecal blood test: no blood in stool! At the time of these tests was H. pylori tested or do I need to have the tests repeated? I see my PCP on Wednesday for annual exam. Thank you for helping me get through this ordeal...... lori33

Closed Thread