It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
(male)

sombodyelse HB User
Unhappy Bloody loose stools, worrying.

Yes, odd place to post this but, I have good reasons.

Hi,

I am a 35 year old male, I have had a few instances of mucusy stool, and quite a few loose stools seem to come and go recently, yesterday I had a little blood on the toilet paper and on poking around I could see a bit in the stool also, but today I could see nothing NOTICABLE, of course without poking around in the stool itself you cannot be sure, my mother is a nurse and she seemed to think my stool today was a very normal stool.

Anyway, upto now, as I have been worrying about well, here is my symptoms..

- loose stools/mucusy (not everyday)

- some noticable blood on the paper 2 or 3 times over the last few weeks and onces a bit in the stool that I could see on poking about.

- Weight Loss (like 40lbs)

- some abdominal discomfort

- passing more gas

- occasional mild nausea

- A strange sensation a bit like I am walking around with a stool, or SOMETHING up my bum

- I have been eating less (due to anxiety) and GOING MORE (if that makes any sense)

- The odd sharp, knife like pain up my bum, also in my lower abdomen, I have had this for maybe 30 seconds or a minute for the last 2 days, kinda like I am passing a knife through my system or something.

- Weird sensation when I sit like a stool is being pushed up my bum.

- I also feel like I am holding something up my bum like a small weight, I am not squeezing but when I fully relax my clench muscles in my bum it kinda feels a bit like something will fall out.

- Something feels a bit odd when I am walking also a bit like something is up my bum.

- something just feels weird up my bum and I can notice it allot more when I am lying on my back.

I have had a bunch of blood tests, for prostate, anemia, bone etc, urine test, 2 gloved finger rectal exams, and a barium enema (which was very unpleasent) all of which found nothing, I have had some rectal/coccyx pain sitting, which I just assumed was due to sitting for hours and hours at my PC everyday, so I had an MRI which found a very normal coccyx/sacrum.

I saw the GI and he also did a gloved finger rectal exam and asked me allot of questions, he seemed very unimpressed by my symptoms and thinks there is nothing to worry about but said he was happy to do a colonoscopy if I wanted, to check for any inflamation etc to put my mind at rest, he said it sounds very much like all my worrying has caused allot of symptoms, he mentions IBS, or maybe even a very low grade colitis.

I have had terrible anxiety since I started worrying about all this a few weeks ago, I have lost allot of weight (which has made me worry even more) I have seen several doctors and I have really had to push and push for these tests because nobody (including the GI) seems very concerned, they all just seem to think my worrying so much is causing alot of problems.

Anybody have any ideas? I am worrying myself like you would not believe about rectal cancer or something like that.

I feel a bit like everybody around me is just assuming, here is one example, I have lost ALLOT of weight, 3 explanations for this..

1) I stopped going to the gym completely, including taking all my supplements, I started eating less and worrying a great deal, I have lost allot of strength and muscle (I train hard and heavy at the gym upto when I stoped going due to worrying several weeks ago)

2) something is very wrong.

3) a bit of both.

Everybody is just assuming it is number 1.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Bloody loose stools, worrying.

Hi...I've answered you in the past, but will focus on the now.
The only thing you have to do is have the colonoscopy, and INSIST on lots of biopsies rather than just a look.

Has the doc done stool tests? If not, those need to be done as well.

Yes, the barium enema x-rays are very unpleasant..to put it nicely..and pertty much a waste of time.

How many times a day are you having bms? Do you have urgency and when you go do you have rectal sensations like it's forcing out bms itself? I call them white-knucklers...just bearing down and waiting for the next wave.

The heavy feeling in the rectum can be inflammation of either the mucosal tissue or hemmies. It seems that the finger poke didn't reveal those, so I'd lean more towards a proctitis...for whatever the cause or type.

It's pretty much a game of exclusion, and I'm slightly dismayed at the off the cuff remark that the GI will do a C-scope "if you want"....at the very least, he should have taken a look-see with a rectal scope.

I can relate to the frustration...I had diarrhea for 3 years, and my "then" doc didn't even do stool samples...if I had that done and possibly dealt with quickly, I wouldn't have been as SHOCKED when the 20 times a day of razor-like bloody diarrhea started. I lost 17 pounds and no matter what I ate I couldn't gain it back. Plus, being worried about what to eat had me writing in a food diary believing it was all food-related.

But, I have an awesome GI doctor (for the past 21 years)....diagnosed with ulcerative proctosigmoiditis...and with the 5ASA oral/rectal meds...life is very good from my butt's perspective.

Hang tough....you need a definitive diagnosis...and maybe another GI is the way to go?

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 07-13-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
(male)

sombodyelse HB User

Hi quincy and thanks for another reply.

I had a short period where I was having 2-3 bowel movements a day, some loose and some with mucus (some clear mucus mixed in and some a bit yellow not BRIGHT yellow just a clear yellow tinge) once 4 movements in one day, but then it seemed to ease off for a week or 2, I was having 1-2 formed, normal movements a day, specially when I cleaned up my diet and ate allot of oats, I even got so confident I stopped checking my stools...

But then it seemed to come back, I admit I was worrying allot at the time but I came back from a trip out, and was kinda worried/anxious, I felt the need to goto the toilet, not HUGE urgency but, certainly new I needed to go when I was in range of a toilet, and BOOM, there it was, a VERY loose watery/mucusy stool the worsed one I have ever had.

on most occasion mind, there is form to a large portion of the stool but then seems to be followed by quite a bit of loose watery brown stuff, at least the water was very brown anyway.

I am going to admit, I have no doubt my epic anxiety and worrying about this does make the symptoms a tad worse, but thats no answer and very little peace of mind.

NO stool tests have been done, I asked, he said the trouble with fecal occult is they more often than not come back positive whatever, he said even he could have a positive result, so nothing was done about it.

I of course am starting to worry about my prostate now as that has also been said can cause a heavy feeling in the bowel area, it feels very like there is something up my bum I can feel it kinda when I walk about sometimes, I wish I could epxlain it well, but something up there just feels........off, half of me wants so much to believe because I have lost so much weight (40lbs a conbination of muscle and fat) that I can simply feel things a bit more than I am used to up there...

Today though, was according to a pretty experienced nurse, a 'normal' stool.

Last edited by sombodyelse; 07-13-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
(female)

ixielh HB User

You might have Ulcerative Colitis i have worses symptoms than you an dim thinking of getting surgery but you should get a second a opinion from a gastrologist who specialize in that you might need a colonscospy go get a second opinion where are you located at ?

Closed Thread