It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
(male)

dcarvalho HB User
Sphincterotomy 10 days ago and still in pain

Hello,

I've done on the past 6 of July a Lateral internal sphincterotomy (LIS) due to chronic anal fissure. It was a 10 minute procedure with local anesthesy; I've returned home on the same day;in spite of taking pain killers it's still very difficult to me to spend the days; After the first BM , two days after the cirurgy, the pain was horrendus; I went back to the hospital again and the doctor decided to take the stich to drain the liquid inside; I still have the wound open in order to drain all the pus/ liquids; I'm taking pain killers and antibiotic pills to prevain an infecction. The area aroud the wound where the incision was made is still hard as a rock; the doctor want's me to keep the pressure on this area in order to expell all the liquids;
The worst part is the time after going to the rest-room; the pain is so intense as I feel spasms.
I don't know what to do; I still can not sit or walk; the last 10 days were spent in bed;

Can someone share similar experiences? Any sort of advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by dcarvalho; 07-21-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Sphincterotomy 10 days ago and still in pain

It sounds like you now have an abscess or infection or some sort because pus in a surgical wound is never normal.

Seek a second opinion if necessary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
(male)

dcarvalho HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallie View Post
It sounds like you now have an abscess or infection or some sort because pus in a surgical wound is never normal.

According with my doctor this is not an abscess as he has opened the wound (and left it open) to drain all the liquid inside; he also gave me some pills to prevent any sort of infection ( in spite of my normal temperature/ no fever);

Thanks for your reply

Last edited by dcarvalho; 07-16-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
(male)

dcarvalho HB User

Hi

today is the 15th day post op; I'm feeling better now; during the last 2 days I was able to stand and walk; it's still difficult to sit; the worst part is the moment after the BM; after going to the toillet it's painfull due to the spasm feeling/ sphincter pain; the incision area is still hard and the wound continues to drain some sort of mixture of liquids/ blood; I also feel some small anal leakage (gas/ liquid).

Old 07-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
(male)

dcarvalho HB User
Re: Sphincterotomy 20 days ago and still in pain

Hello,

I'm on the 20th day after surgery and the pain is back the last 2 days were ok, I was feeling more confortable when going to the toillet, but today, after a bowel movement I've got some painfull spasms and I feel the surgery wound very hot and hard; I've just called the doctor and he says that I have an hematoma I'm taking so many pills ( pain killers, anti-biotics, etc) and I'm loosing hope; almost 3 weeks after surgery and I still can not sit; when will I be able to return to normal life? I'm affraid getting some sort of abscess as I feel so much pain in the wound and all the incision area is so hard and red

Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
(male)

dcarvalho HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocallie View Post

You were right; I have developed an hematoma with abcess; the surgery incision was infected due to a rectum leak

I've done last Tuesday another surgery to remove the abcess; Yesterday my doctor removed the stitches ( it was painfull) and now I have a new hole in may back side

Everyone says to me that there are worst deseases, and people with more serious health issues; I just can say that doing in 3 weeks 1 LIS, 1 abcess removal, stitches removal for 2 ocasions and wake up from surgery with a catheter stucked in the penis is not the best way to spend this summer month; it seems that I'm leaving the most painfull days of my life

Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
(female)

holdingon HB User

Sorry to hear you are going through so much extra pain. I know people think they are helping when they say, "there are worse diseases" but when you are in incredible pain it is hard to look at the world outside of yourself that way. Not saying it can't be done but it's difficult.

I don't have any insight or advice unfortunately. My surgeon tells me that I am healing up fine and he doesn't know why I am having so much pain.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
(male)

dcarvalho HB User

I've done the LIS almost one month ago; the 2nd surgery to remove the abscess was done on the last 27th July; I'm feeling some improvements now; The bowel movements are easier and I don't feel too much pain; it's difficult stil to clean and wash the anal area as the wound was left open; now it's easier to walk althoug I can't seat or drive therefore I'm not able to return to work yet.

I've been in the hospital yesterday; in spite of feeling the inscision area a bit hard, doctor says that it's healing correctly ( from inside to the surface);

Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
(male)

dcarvalho HB User

Almost 2 months after the sphincterotomy; I'm now ready to go back to work (I will return next week); I do not feel pain anymore, I can sit, drive , walk without problems; bowel movements are regular with soft stool ( still taking lactulose); according to my doctor the fistula/ abscess wound is healing fine; Small leakage from wound / anus remains; It's great to be back to my normal life; I wish all the best to this forum members.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User

it takes several months to feel back to normal after LIS surgery

when taking so many pills you need to make sure you are drinking TONS of water and taking stool softeners

i also recommend taking magnesium, metamucil, and flax seed oil capsules

just give it time and only take the pain pills if you really need them.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Sphincterotomy 20 days ago and still in pain

Well, this is not advice, I can only offer sympathy and tell you what I would be doing if it was my difficulty. I would be using a very warm, but not hot enough to burn, water pour in the bath tub for a few minutes using a pitcher, or a warm shower to the area followed by cold a few seconds and repeat that whole thing 3-4 times after every single bowel movement. That might improve circulation to the area. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
(female)

holdingon HB User

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and able to go to work!

Are you still draining from the abcess or are you having leakage from bowel...like small amount of yellowish liquid? Did your doctor say anything about it? I've read that it can take months for the muscle to heal but I'm still concerned about the leakage.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #13
(male)

dcarvalho HB User
Re: Sphincterotomy 2 months ago - Ready to get back to the world :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
Glad to hear that you are feeling better and able to go to work!

Are you still draining from the abcess or are you having leakage from bowel...like small amount of yellowish liquid? Did your doctor say anything about it? I've read that it can take months for the muscle to heal but I'm still concerned about the leakage.
Yes, I'm having leakage: from the (still) opened wound and also from bowel; it's a small amount of yellowish/ pink liquid with a strong smell

My doctor says that the leakage is normal at this stage; while doing the finger rectal touch he asked me to contract the muscle and then relax severall times; He was able to feel the spfhincter muscle working, therefore everything looks ok; regarding the leakage issue he says that it will improve with time and he advised me to make the muscle "work" severall times a day: at home, driving or at work I should do some muscle contraction vs relax exercises.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
(male)

Highfly1971 HB User

I had spinterotomy wed of last week this is day 8. Pain is unbearable after bm for 5 to 8 hours. I am on valum for the spasms and lortab for pain to no avail. Please tell me this is normal. The bm is not painful until 30 seconds to a minute afterward. Then the sky is the limit. Never experienced pain close to this. Please help

Worst part get nothing from the Dr office. Communication is poor. Will defiantly file a complaint with the hospital.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
(male)

dcarvalho HB User

I'm afraid that your synthoms are quite "normal"; I felt the same sort of pain for several days; as you said, the worst part is not the bm but the moments afterwards ( when the anus closes and the sphincter starts to spasm); You should mantain the stool soft and keep the incision wound clean and dry; I've found out that , in my specific case, the pain was caused by a infection with intrasphincter abscess that developed to a fistula (abnormal connection between the the anal canal and the surgey wound); if you do not get better you should look for your surgeon in order to find out why you're having so much pain.

Last edited by dcarvalho; 09-02-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Closed Thread