It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Help plz, urgent 93 yo mom, diarrhea for month

93 yr old mother has had diarrhea for a month, been in hospital everything checked, stools, urine, blood. everything clear. Gastro doesn't want to do colonoscopy because of age and that she's on blood thinner. He recommended she start taking Align (probiotic) once a day. when she was in hospital they gave her flagyl antibiotic for 7 days. C-diff negative btw.

Just trying to keep her hydrated now w/ ensure/water. She's on lactose free diet she takes the pill when drinking ensure.

Also has gag reflex/swallowing issues since this started we think from the antiobiotic gave her bad taste in her mouth, doc said it would. So she eats, applesauce, banana, sweet potato, chicken/rice, jello.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Help plz, urgent 93 yo mom, diarrhea for month

Hi....I feel for your mom's situation.

Regarding her blood test, has she had her B12 as well as Vitamin D checked? Is she taking either of those supplements?

Regarding the Align...probiotics are good to take, I think there are better ones out there..I would suggest Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Care. I use them as well as another, but for your mom, one or two at bedtime would be helpful rather than during the day.

Can she take any fibre supplements? They help to bulk up the stool...capsules are what I find work the best. One with a meal to start might slow down the diarrhea.

how often is she going daily? Is it only like water or very loose stool?
Is there any bleeding?

Has the doctor suggested she use something like Imodium? If she has nothing else going on in her colon such as inflammatory bowel disease, it would/should be OK for her to take.

I think there are better supplemental meals to take rather than ensure..

Regarding the Jello, etc, do any of them have artificial sweeteners in them? If she recently started ingesting anything with that in the product, it could cause diarrhea.

OK, enough questions for now....hope some answers can be found. I did a search for elderly diarrhea causes on google, and the Merck Manual geriatrics site came up first on the list. Check that out and it will surely be helpful in some questions you might have regarding possibilities to have her checked out for.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Help plz, urgent 93 yo mom, diarrhea for month

Yes vitamins levels have been checked. she's on D-3. She takes 1 benefiber every other day per her geriatric Dr.

Yesterday she probably went 5 times? Little bit looser than ketchup. No one has mentioned any blood in the tests.

We were told not to use the immodium initially but now I can't remember why I am so friggin tired .

Won't do the jello anymore. She was admitted to a rehab facility today thank goodness. But still having the bowel issues and very weak. I still want to back door everything.

Can't believe I didn't do that google thing...duh.

thanks

Closed Thread