It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

kitkatbek HB User
41 year old with diverticulitis

In january , developed acute sigmoid diverticulitis. I was treated with Cipro and flaggyll. Symptoms improved. Colonoscopy showed moderate sigmoid divericulosis. Developed allergy to cIPRO. Approx 4 weeks later,developed cdiff from Cipro. It took a round of flagyll and then a round of Vanco to heal it. I feel better but still have lower abdominal pain. My question is, if I get another attack, does anybody know what antibiotic they could use to treat me since now I'm at a higher risk for cdiff. I losta totoal of thirty8 pounds andstill don't feel myself. I was also told that if I got another attack, I would be a candidate for surgery. Thiswhole thing has beena nightmare. Between the cdiff and diverticulitis, I was hospitalised 2x. It's 6 monthslaterand I'm just getting my strength back. Has anybody been through both divertic andcdiff after? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to go through this cycle again. Oral Vanco was what killed the cdiff. Is thatone of the antibiotics they can use for diverticulitis ifI getit again? Thanks for any info.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
(female)

reinatj HB User
Smile Re: 41 year old with diverticulitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbek View Post
In january , developed acute sigmoid diverticulitis. I was treated with Cipro and flaggyll. Symptoms improved. Colonoscopy showed moderate sigmoid divericulosis. Developed allergy to cIPRO. Approx 4 weeks later,developed cdiff from Cipro. It took a round of flagyll and then a round of Vanco to heal it. I feel better but still have lower abdominal pain. My question is, if I get another attack, does anybody know what antibiotic they could use to treat me since now I'm at a higher risk for cdiff. I losta totoal of thirty8 pounds andstill don't feel myself. I was also told that if I got another attack, I would be a candidate for surgery. Thiswhole thing has beena nightmare. Between the cdiff and diverticulitis, I was hospitalised 2x. It's 6 monthslaterand I'm just getting my strength back. Has anybody been through both divertic andcdiff after? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to go through this cycle again. Oral Vanco was what killed the cdiff. Is thatone of the antibiotics they can use for diverticulitis ifI getit again? Thanks for any info.
Hi, I also have diverticulitis. My first infection was 11/08. I was also put on Cipro & flagel. I could not finish taking the flage due to it making me so sick to my stomach. so i just stayed with the Cipro. Since then i have had 6 infection, with the last one just a couple of weeks age. I was on cprio . But the other times i was given leviquin and it worked. I have been very lucky that i have not gotten any yeast infections from all the antiboticis. I don't know what the cdiff is that you mentioned. I am seeing a suregon on 7/22. I am sure he is going to say I have to have a bowel resection. There have been 2 many infection in less then 2 years. I have not had to go to the hospital either. So no tears or leakage. I know the surgery is going to be tough, but I had no problems for my hysterectomy or my gull bladder surgeries. I breezed through them both. Hope this helped you. Feel free to contact me. Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

kitkatbek HB User
Re: 41 year old with diverticulitis

May I ask what your symptoms areand your age? Cdiff is an infection thatgive you diarrhea from taking antibiotics. Not everyone gets it. I was unlucky I guess. I think I healed from the cdiff ok but I'm still having lower abdominal pain. Not like I had when I had the flare up. I was in severe pain, constipated and fever. I had chills also. I don't have any of that. They told memylast coolonoscopy showed the divertic infection had healed and that I had "moderate" diverticulosis, What does that mean? I am going for a second opinion. My pain can be positional like I strained a muscle at times. Does thatsound diverticular related? I know everyone is different. Thanks for anyinfo. I felt Igot this so young.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
(female)

reinatj HB User
Smile Re: 41 year old with diverticulitis

Quote:
May I ask what your symptoms areand your age? Cdiff is an infection thatgive you diarrhea from taking antibiotics. Not everyone gets it. I was unlucky I guess. I think I healed from the cdiff ok but I'm still having lower abdominal pain. Not like I had when I had the flare up. I was in severe pain, constipated and fever. I had chills also. I don't have any of that. They told memylast coolonoscopy showed the divertic infection had healed and that I had "moderate" diverticulosis, What does that mean? I am going for a second opinion. My pain can be positional like I strained a muscle at times. Does thatsound diverticular related? I know everyone is different. Thanks for anyinfo. I felt Igot this so young.
I am 55, female, will be 56 on 7/24. My pain is on my left side. As soon as I feel the first pain I get into see the doctor so I can get the antibotics. The pain is gone with in a couple of days. My pain is not in my stomach area. it is just on the the side. You know when you put your hands on your waist/hips. Thats is where I feel it. Sometimes when I sit I can feel it too. I know what you mean about it feeling like a strained muscle. I tell people it feels like when a runner gets cramps or stiches in their side from running. But once the infection is cleard up, I have no more pain. I have to take 6 fiber con tablets a day and I drink metamusil, eat lots of fruit so I can have a bowel movement. After all that I still sometimes have a hard time going.

Hope I am answering your questions. We can help each other.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
(female)

kitkatbek HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinatj View Post
I am 55, female, will be 56 on 7/24. My pain is on my left side. As soon as I feel the first pain I get into see the doctor so I can get the antibotics. The pain is gone with in a couple of days. My pain is not in my stomach area. it is just on the the side. You know when you put your hands on your waist/hips. Thats is where I feel it. Sometimes when I sit I can feel it too. I know what you mean about it feeling like a strained muscle. I tell people it feels like when a runner gets cramps or stiches in their side from running. But once the infection is cleard up, I have no more pain. I have to take 6 fiber con tablets a day and I drink metamusil, eat lots of fruit so I can have a bowel movement. After all that I still sometimes have a hard time going.

Hope I am answering your questions. We can help each other.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
(female)

kitkatbek HB User

See ,my issues are that I can't take alot of antibiotics because of the cdiff infection. The weird thing is, I have never and still don't have one problem with constipation. I would love to know how in the world I got this. I'm allergic to Cipro. Do you know if they can treat divertic with Vancomycin? Since I'm only 41, I was toldI could be a candidate for surgery which scares me. I have on and off lower lft and rgt pain (more on left.) I knew I had it bad when I got constipated (more like a blockage) and fever. I haven't had any of that since. I've lost 36 lbs. so maybe that will work in my favor of thisnot reoccuring. I'm glad to get the second opinion. My main question is if I do get it again, what antibiotics can they use which won't give me cdiff. I was treatedfor cdiff with flaggyll, then vanco and I heard thatthey are using xifaxin now to treat cdiff. I know they use flagyll for divertic but can they treat it also with Vanco or Xifaxin? (sp) Cdiff was worse than the diverticulitis for me. Thanks for your info. Whatantibiotics do you use and how many times have you had it?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
(female)

reinatj HB User

Quote:
See ,my issues are that I can't take alot of antibiotics because of the cdiff infection. The weird thing is, I have never and still don't have one problem with constipation. I would love to know how in the world I got this. I'm allergic to Cipro. Do you know if they can treat divertic with Vancomycin? Since I'm only 41, I was toldI could be a candidate for surgery which scares me. I have on and off lower lft and rgt pain (more on left.) I knew I had it bad when I got constipated (more like a blockage) and fever. I haven't had any of that since. I've lost 36 lbs. so maybe that will work in my favor of thisnot reoccuring. I'm glad to get the second opinion. My main question is if I do get it again, what antibiotics can they use which won't give me cdiff. I was treatedfor cdiff with flaggyll, then vanco and I heard thatthey are using xifaxin now to treat cdiff. I know they use flagyll for divertic but can they treat it also with Vanco or Xifaxin? (sp) Cdiff was worse than the diverticulitis for me. Thanks for your info. Whatantibiotics do you use and how many times have you had it?
I have had 6 time in 1 1/2 years. i cannot take flagle. They have given me Levinqin and this last time I had just cipro. i have no idea what else they use. I have alway had constipation. Only the past 1 1/2 years with diverticuloses. Diverticuloses is the condition and Divertiulitis is when you are inflames and have the infection. Do not eat anything with seeds, and no nuts of any kind. No Corn, No popcorn. When you are in pain you should eat a very low fiber diet. When the pain is gone you eat the high fiber diet.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

The C-diff created it's own toxins that attacked your colon....creating lots of inflammation. Vancomycin is routinely used to kill the c-diff bacteria. Sounds like you're still inflammed.

When you were treated with the Cipro/Flagyl, it killed off the "good" bacteria (and we all have some c-diff lurking around in there)....a breeding ground for the bad stuff to take over. Ironically, it is treated with yet another antibiotic.

Given your history, I would think the docs would treat with Flagyl and another broad spectrum antibiotic if you have another bout of Diverticulitis. Are you loading up on probiotics....."friendly" bacteria?

Most surgeons recommend a colon re-section after 1-3 episodes of "itis." I had mine done after the second...I felt like a ticking time bomb. You do not want to develop an abcess that perforates requiring emergency surgery.

Diverticular disease is a part of the aging process and some folks live with it forever never developing an infection. A very small percent do. It's all diet-related...lots of fiber helps, but not during a flare.

Good luck,
Linda

Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
(female)

kitkatbek HB User

Linda, Thanks for the info. My Doc says I got cdiff from cipro and levaquin. They treated mewith flagyll and vanco for the cdiff. May I ask how old you were when you got your diverticulitis 1st time and how did your resection go. I'm 41. They told me I was young and could get it again and maybe then maybe a candidate for a resection. Scary. I have three kids ( 15, 11, 4) I believe I'm over the cdiff (thank God) I know 2 people who got resections for div. and it was helpful. I'm going for a second opinion at the university of iowa medical research center. Thanks for any info you can give me. By the way, I didload up on the probiotics and still do take them. Thanks again

Kris

Last edited by kitkatbek; 07-19-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hi Kris.....

I am older than you....had my re-section done at 60. Had my first Diverticulitis attack at 59. With the second attack, I headed to the ER with what I thought was appendicitis, as my pain was on the right side. I was really sick with this attack....104 fever, lots of nausea, etc.

Turned out I had a 3 inch abcess, which they couldn't drain because of the location. I was in the hospital for almost a week on IV Cipro and Flagyl and sent home with another 2 weeks worth of the drugs. I met with a surgeon, who wanted to wait until the inflammation decreased. This was in May...I had the resection in August... laparoscopically.

Find yourself a good surgeon who can do the procedure with a laparoscope. Do your homework. I was in the hospital for almost a week (normal for this type of surgery....as they want to be sure the bowel is functioning properly before they release you). Was back to work part-time and driving in 2 weeks.

You'll bounce back quickly if you need the surgery. Besides, I'm sure your children will be happy to pitch in and help out Mom!

Much good luck,
Linda

Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
(male)

bravo139 HB User

I am 47 and in the middle of my second go-round with diverticulitis. I had a bowel resection in 2003 and started having small flareups about a year ago. Two weeks ago it came on hard and fast. I ended up having a large abscess right near the 1st resection. I currently have a drain in the abscess (hopefully coming out Tuesday). I really fear a second resection is in my future.

I did very well with my diet and exercise for several years but fell off in the last couple. They are so important. Make sure you follow the doctors orders of high fiber diet and exercise.

After my first resection, I was SO glad I did it. Diverticulitis can take over your life when it is active. After the surgery, I felt like I got my life back.

If you can find a Dr. who can do the surgery laproscopically, I highly recommend it. The recovery is shorter than full surgery.

Good Luck !!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
(female)

kitkatbek HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo139 View Post
I am 47 and in the middle of my second go-round with diverticulitis. I had a bowel resection in 2003 and started having small flareups about a year ago. Two weeks ago it came on hard and fast. I ended up having a large abscess right near the 1st resection. I currently have a drain in the abscess (hopefully coming out Tuesday). I really fear a second resection is in my future.

I did very well with my diet and exercise for several years but fell off in the last couple. They are so important. Make sure you follow the doctors orders of high fiber diet and exercise.

After my first resection, I was SO glad I did it. Diverticulitis can take over your life when it is active. After the surgery, I felt like I got my life back.

If you can find a Dr. who can do the surgery laproscopically, I highly recommend it. The recovery is shorter than full surgery.

Good Luck !!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
(female)

kitkatbek HB User

Did they not get it all the first time or did you develop more pockets. Can I ask whatyour symptoms were when you flare? I developed cdiff after getting it and I don't want to live on antibiotics. How old were you when you first got it. I'm 41. I don't seem to have the severe symptoms that led me to treatment to begin with. I have postional left lower quadrant pain that some times radiates to my right side. My GI said it couldbe muscle wall related. My colonoscopy showed "moderated diverticulosis" in my Sigmoid. That was done in March. I don't even know what that means. And how did we get this so young. Couldyou tell me more about your history? I'm going for a second opinion in three weeks at the U. Of Iowa Medical center. Between getting it young and being difficult to treat due to the cdff (I have to be careful taking antibiotics) they mightpropose surgery. Due to the cdiff, I definatly had a difficult time with highh fiber and I just stared to exercise. Thanks for your info, anymore would be helpful. Did your dr. say why you got it so young?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
(male)

bravo139 HB User

Well...in hindsight I think I developed it in my mid 30's. I had symptoms like bloating, constipation, lower left pain. My Dr initially thought I had a bacteria from drinking water in new Hampshire on vacation. Over the next couple of years, I would get the same symptoms, and added pain. A colonoscopy showed the diverticulitis. The pain became excruciating (lower left) during flareups. The flareups became more severe with fevers, aches etc. Like having the worst flu you ever had. When the flareups became more frequent....every 3-4 weeks....I had to have surgery. Once I healed, I could not believe how much better I felt. Like night and day.

From what I read, a lot of people our age have diverticulosis.....when it progresses it becomes diverticulitis. A couple guys at work have had a couple of flareups, but did not need surgery. I am the lucky one.

Once this is healed, I will have a colonoscopy to see the extent of the diverticulitis. That will determine what the next course of action will be.

Quote:
Did they not get it all the first time or did you develop more pockets. Can I ask whatyour symptoms were when you flare? I developed cdiff after getting it and I don't want to live on antibiotics. How old were you when you first got it. I'm 41. I don't seem to have the severe symptoms that led me to treatment to begin with. I have postional left lower quadrant pain that some times radiates to my right side. My GI said it couldbe muscle wall related. My colonoscopy showed "moderated diverticulosis" in my Sigmoid. That was done in March. I don't even know what that means. And how did we get this so young. Couldyou tell me more about your history? I'm going for a second opinion in three weeks at the U. Of Iowa Medical center. Between getting it young and being difficult to treat due to the cdff (I have to be careful taking antibiotics) they mightpropose surgery. Due to the cdiff, I definatly had a difficult time with highh fiber and I just stared to exercise. Thanks for your info, anymore would be helpful. Did your dr. say why you got it so young?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #15
(female)

kitkatbek HB User

Please keep me informed. Right now, it is 6 months after firtst bout of divertic. Yesterday, I noticed I have left lower quadrant painand tenderness, No fever like last time, but I'm kind of concerned. Should I wait it out and see? By the way, I'm originallyfrom Ma. It's very common tohavediverticulosis form after 40 (I'm 41) but diverticulitis? I hope you feel better. I noticed I've been a little constipated lately which is unlike me. I never had a prblem with that so I don't know why I had a problem with it in the firstplace. Oh well. Take care of yourself.

Closed Thread