It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
(male)

guyofchelt HB User
Post Haemorroidhectomy - 9 weeks on!

Hi,
I had a full surgical Haemorroidhectomy 9 weeks ago to remove three very large internal Haemorrhoids. I have seen the surgeon and he says that I am doing fine and should make a full recovery. He is not expecting to see me again!
I however feel somewhat different; I still experience some pain at every BM (although this has got much better over the months!). If this is not bad enough I experience constant pressure in my rear end. The best way to describe this is that it feels like my Arse is falling out and I am consciously sucking it in.
After 9 weeks I am still constantly aware of my Arse, either pain, itching or pressure - is this normal?
I would dearly love to hear from anyone that might be able to help or explain.

Best regards
G Greening

Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
(male)

dcarvalho HB User
Re: Post Haemorroidhectomy - 9 weeks on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyofchelt View Post
Hi,
I had a full surgical Haemorroidhectomy 9 weeks ago to remove three very large internal Haemorrhoids. I have seen the surgeon and he says that I am doing fine and should make a full recovery. He is not expecting to see me again!
I however feel somewhat different; I still experience some pain at every BM (although this has got much better over the months!). If this is not bad enough I experience constant pressure in my rear end. The best way to describe this is that it feels like my Arse is falling out and I am consciously sucking it in.
After 9 weeks I am still constantly aware of my Arse, either pain, itching or pressure - is this normal?
I would dearly love to hear from anyone that might be able to help or explain.

Best regards
G Greening

Hi,

My Haemorroidhectomy experience was in 2006; back then I've had a surgery with the "staples method"; I remeber that the first 3 months were very painfull, specially at BM. The pressure in the rear end is normal; I do not know if your surgery was like mine ( with staples) but I believe you will see improvements on the next few weeks. All the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
(male)

guyofchelt HB User

Very many thanks for your speedy reply - it does give me a little confidence that I may make a full recovery.
The surgery that I had was not the staple method, but an open haemorrhoidectomy presumably with a scapel or some form of!
I have been gradually improving; BM's are less painful although I do have more than I would wish for (sometimes as many as 3 or 4 a day). It is just this damn constant feeling that my Arse is falling out and I am constantly trying to hold it in. Trying not to be crude, there is a movement that you often make as you finish emptying your bowel! It is this movement that I am doing almost every waking minute to stop my arse falling out (even though I know that it isn't) - hope that makes some sort of sense :-)
Is this normal?

Cheers
Guy

Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
(male)

dcarvalho HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyofchelt View Post
Very many thanks for your speedy reply - it does give me a little confidence that I may make a full recovery.
The surgery that I had was not the staple method, but an open haemorrhoidectomy presumably with a scapel or some form of!
I have been gradually improving; BM's are less painful although I do have more than I would wish for (sometimes as many as 3 or 4 a day). It is just this damn constant feeling that my Arse is falling out and I am constantly trying to hold it in. Trying not to be crude, there is a movement that you often make as you finish emptying your bowel! It is this movement that I am doing almost every waking minute to stop my arse falling out (even though I know that it isn't) - hope that makes some sort of sense :-)
Is this normal?

Cheers
Guy
I believe the movement that you're referring is a sphincter spasm and that is normal;

Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
(male)

smittythepig HB User

just one possibility is that simply being aware of the area and fearful of what is going on might be making you feel you need to 'suck in' when you don't. i had surgery almost 13 years ago (LIS and then another procedure later when the fissure re-opened) and went on anti-depressants when it seemed it would all never heal and i became obsessed with the whole thing. they worked and i basically stopped thinking about or worrying about the area and considered myself pretty much healed for the last 12 years or so. well, i stopped the ADs last year and after about 6 months i developed an external hemorrhoid somehow. this went away but ever since i have again become obsessed with the area and worried about what the surgery did long-term and whether or not i've lost elasticity or the hole is smaller or whether or not the urges and sensations i get down there are normal. i also constantly feel like i can feel things down there (i went to my surgeon again recently and he said that though i had some small internal hemorrhoids everything looked great) and it's in some ways as you describe. it's like there is this constant awareness of that area and fear that something isn't right or that it will all come out or i will develop terrible hemorrhoids or another tear or something. the reality should be that nothing has actually changed in the last several months (considering the hemorrhoid went away and my surgeries were over a decade ago and i lived a normal life all that time until recently) EXCEPT my awareness of the area and the fear. i think that and the stress it causes is making me uncomfortable. the reality is that perhaps some things are different for me now post-surgery. but it didn't cause any problems before. so in my case it may largely be in my head. i am sure you have some physical healing left to do, but i just thought i would comment and suggest the small possibility that some of your feelings are possibly just mental in that you are constantly focused on that area and how it feels. maybe if you could distract yourself and just be confident everything will be fine, maybe those sensations would diminish. sometimes we become aware of something after going through a surgery or whatever and it's hard to go back to not thinking about it. just another possibility.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
(male)

guyofchelt HB User

Once again, I am so grateful for your reply. You are absolutely correct, my rear end is my whole life at the moment and whilst I try to de-tract from it, it is easier said than done sometimes.
I am not as good at writing as those who have replied, but I do understand fully what you are saying.
The good news at least is that my rear end is "very" slowly beginning to feel like normal and yesterday I went almost a whole day without any pressure or pain. I just hope that this continues and that I make a full recovery, in the meantime I will try and de-tract myself from having my rear end dominate my daily life.

Many thanks for your replies.

Regards
Guy

Old 10-08-2010, 03:47 AM   #7
(male)

guyofchelt HB User

Well here I am nearly 6 months on! Still not 100% but probably about 80%!

Obtained a second opinion at 3 months and was told that the surgeon had carried out a very aggressive operation on me and that I would not feel the benefit of my operation for 6 months.

Well they may be right, things are somewhat improved, but no better than before the surgery took place - I may as well have kept the Haemorrhoid and saved myself several thousand pounds at the same time.

I still get mild discomfort at Bowel Movements, I still feel constant pressure in my rear end, albeit significantly reduced.

In hindsight (the worlds best science), would I have had this operation - NO!

For anyone thinking about having this operation - think very carefully!

If things do ever return to complete normality, I will post an update!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
(male)

Yokel HB User

So sorry to hear that you regret having the surgery guy.... at least there is a 80% improvement in your healing i suppose.....

I am gratefull that i have read your stories as i was getting pressured by one colorectal surgeon to have this operation done. Glad i didnt go through with it.

A few months ago i saw another colorectal surgeon and he was so against Haemorroidhectomy operations, and pretty much said the same thing as you.

Perhaps one day in the not to distant future their will be a cure for hemroids that actually works and is pain free, one day.....

Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
(male)

guyofchelt HB User

I do still regret having the operation as I am no better now than before, in fact I would say worse! I should state that I am not in severe pain all the time, infact it is quite mild and only at Bowel movements. However, I do experience varying degrees of spasm throughout most of the day even now!
The good news is: I am 5 months post surgery rather than than the 6 that I thought I was So there is still some hope for me as the second opinion from a surgeon, two doctors and one Nurse have suggested that the recovery will be 6 months or more.
I hope and pray that after 6 months or so, I can return to this board and say that I have 100% recovered, in which case all the pain and heartache may still have been worth it.
Hindsight is the worlds best science, but I would have preferred to have chosen my surgeon with more care and discussed in intricate details exactly how he was going to perform this operation and exactly what to expect. This board has been helpful to me and I thank everyone for their postings.

Before giving up on the operation completely, have you looked into the HALO procedure? I believe it stands for Haemorrhoid Artery Litigation Operation! I have no idea how good/bad this procedure is, but allegedly it is reasonably pain free!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
(male)

Yokel HB User

hey guy, hope you are experiencing an increase in healing

In regards to me, im in australia and there is only one doctor who does HALO treatment and he is in Sydney, about 6-8 hours flight from me

The only 2 colorectal surgeons in my city either want me to have the haemorroidhectomy, and the other is strongly against it!

Oh well, such is life

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
(male)

feilong HB User

Hi all!

I had a traditional hemotthoidectomy 10 days ago, and boy has it been rough. I've experienced a pass out from a bm on day 7. They bms aren't as cray now but still burn something fierce. I'm convinced that the sitz baths are a placebo because frankly, I start feeling better w/in 2-3 mins whether I'm in the tub or not.... anywho.

I just realized this morning that my stitches where hanging out. Doc said it was ok. I also noticed one side of the anal opening had a hole.... doc said it was ok. Its so weird cause everything is red down there, and it seems like it is getting worse than better... but I over analyze and psych myself out.

I have a question though... did any of your docs recommend you clean the anus with some water and peroxide on a cotton ball and then put a cotton ball with some neosporin on it and stick it at the anal opening? I want to say its working well but I'm sorta curious as tp whether this will hinder my healing process or not?

Nevertheless, I am so exhausted from all of this and I mean... I kinda regret the surgery and kinda don't. I'm sure that once it is all healed it'll be worth it, right? Thanks for listening and I can't wait to hear your replies!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
(male)

guyofchelt HB User

Hi Feilong,

Your symptoms sound pretty much similar to mine. For the first few weeks I hardly got out of bed because I was either in so much pain or just to exhausted from the trauma of it all. I am fairly sure that I did NOT have any stitches as I had what they call an Open Haemorrhoidectomy.

I have not heard of the cotton wool thing, but the surgeon that I sought a second opinion from recommended that I apply "Rectolgesic" cream on and just inside the Anus to promote healing. Perhaps your cream is the American version of "Rectolgesic"? If so, then I would say keep going with it because it helps.

I am now approaching 6 months and still not 100% fixed. However most days I could be as much as 90% and on "quite rare" days I have bee 100% and oh my God those days are simply amazing!

I would be really interested to hear how you progress.

Take it easy and wishing you a full and quick recovery.

Guy

Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
(male)

feilong HB User

Oh wow man you are far along! I keep in mind that at some point in the future, it will get better. It's day 11 for me, and I had a bm in the morning... it wasn't as fierce as previous so I'm happy about that. I feel like my existence is pitiful cause I can't do anything but, you know, that's just how it is for now and will be for a bit. Can you recall any milestones as you went thru you recover? for instance, like, week 2 there was a dramatic change in how you felt, or day 17 the pain of a bm was like nothing?

Also! Is it a good sign that I don't experience pain until after I'm done with a bm? When it starts and comes out and whatever, it doesnt hurt until it's all out and done... SHEESH I dread that, cause that's when I stand there like a bump on the log, looking at the water in the tub, and I have to mummy walk my way into the tub to start the relief.

The following user gives a hug of support to feilong:
guyofchelt (11-02-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to feilong For This Useful Post:
guyofchelt (11-02-2010)
Old 11-02-2010, 03:03 AM   #14
(male)

guyofchelt HB User

Your reply made me laugh, but it sounds as though you might be recovering a little quicker than I did.
My BMs were excruiatingly painful for nearly 12 weeks, the first one of the day was always the worst and it is not unusual for me to have three BMs a day. That might be part of the problem, but I have experimented with Fibre supplements and it seems to make no difference. I can still have three BMs with no fibre supplement at all.
As for milestones, I seem to re-call week 13 was somewhat of a turning point when BMs became much less painful (almost overnight). I would not say completely pain free, but at least I did not dread them any more.
Since then it has been more or less gradual improvement with some set back days and some good days. I am fairly sure it is scarring (fissures) that are still healing.
What I do find helps even now is to put some vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) on the Anus and just inside as soon as I get up. It makes the BM's much easier.
The main problem that I think I am experiencing now is Spasm in my Anus. Obviously a Hot bath helps that as does a heat pad but as soon as I get out the bath or remove the heat pad the Spasm starts again.
I am thinking of carrying some DIY Anal Dilation (Yuk!) to try and fix that, but might seek a professional opinion first.

Let me know how you progress.

Cheers
Guy

The following user gives a hug of support to guyofchelt:
feilong (11-02-2010)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
(male)

feilong HB User

Gosh brother! I tell you what though... it is taking you a while, but it will be behind you some years later and you will say, SHEESH, I made it thru that???

I feel rather good today (haven't had my first BM yet... we will see how that changes). OH, I forgot to mention how in the hospital, I had to go thru THREE IV bags before I can pee... and you know what my whole thought process was that WHOLE time I was there (from 0730-1500 (3pm))????? I DON'T WANT A CATHETER!!!!!!!!! I tried to dream of peeing just so I can pee the bed I was on i my sleep... I didn't care... anywho, I pee'd eventually, thank the LORD!

Man, I feel so terrible. I've been on this crap fiber diet for over a week, and last night, my wife just HAD to make these burgers... I couldn't resist. Lets hope I don't pray for redemption this morning when I have to go. I did take an extra colace and some miralax, so I'm hoping those elements combine like the captain planet and show that burger and bun who's boss. Needless to say, I'm going to go back to my high in fiber diet, cause I've lost quite a bit of weight

I think today is day twelve btw for me. Just countin them down. I might have to work at some point this week. I feel really bad because they've had to pull people to cover my position but... HECK, I just had one of the most painful surgeries in the world right? They'll be ok, I'm sure I'll cover someone at some point in the future.

I'm trying really hard to stick to my morning rituals of a few vitamin pills in the morning, 2 colace with a meal.. OOPS, I forgot to eat... let me do that now. Ok, I just ate a honey crisp apple... people, THESE ARE THE BEST APPLES EVER! With the skin though.. i hear without the skin can cause you some unnecessary anguish, and if you are like me.. I don't like to learn the hard way (did that once when I got two double cheese burgers from McDonalds... the day after, I fainted from the pain of pushing while constipated. This was my passing of the glass and a solar flare movement that I will forever be scarred by, in my mind).

Oh, and you will get a kick out of this... there is a lot of preparation you can do for this procedure, and then there are things you will find out afterwards that you might require... I asked my wife for a few items and she had the nerve to tell me I was 'over reacting'... WHAT??? Oh I was so mad lol... all I could say was, "you need to be me for a day and feel what I go thru MA'AM!!!" lol. But she redeemed herself last night because she was brave enough to cut out the stitches that were hanging out (dr directed). She held her nose like I was gonna skunk her or something.

But anyways, guyofchelt! I hope your spasms don't plague you for too much longer and that you don't have to do that DYI thing. It's a hard road, but keep going man, keep it going! Is there a chance that you can be prescribed Valium? I hear it relaxes the muscles... I can neither confirm or deny that... I take them, and they make me sleepy, but as for spasms, I'm not sure, but they say that it's supposed to help with that. I've experienced the spasms in the past; it was a spasm where I literally rolled in bed, knees to my chest, and I was hollering to God saying "LORD, what did I do!! I won't do it again, I promise..." and it lasted for a good 30 mins. The next one was the day I got home from surgery... i was walking up the steps, and then it hit me, and I was crawling on the floor. It felt like... someone took a blender prong, and put it in there and turn that bad boy on. My wife looked at me on the floor like I was crazy. You guys feel my pain, and vice versa.

Well, that's all I have for today. I have some rumbling going on, so that might be a good sign. Keep me posted brother and I hope that I was able again to make you smile and help you thru this as you do for me.

Closed Thread